• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#221 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

I just hope Tampa Bay's years of suck in the future won't destroy Yzerman's chances of becoming GM of a real team, haha.

I have no problem with Tampa Bay, and I guess he needed an 'entry-level' job, but I hope the circus down there stops before it damages his pristine reputation. And yes, this means Yzerman is gone for good. The odds of Holland retiring at the exact same time that Yzerman's contract comes up and Tampa Bay being a terrible embarrassing mess at the time is highly unlikely.

Bear in mind that GMs do have a fairly high turnover rate. 20 NHL teams have changed GMs since the lockout. Anything more than 6-8 years or so is considered 'long term'. Holland's contract wouldn't have to expire at the same time, he would just have to agree to step aside. Or maybe Steve could wait a year or two in a different role. Or maybe Holland goes before Steve's contract is up and we go with a temp GM for a year or two.

I believe he wants to be the GM of the Wings. I believe Ilitch wants him to be the GM eventually. The fans definitely want him. Assuming he doesn't fail miserably in TB, I have to believe he'll be back before too long.

#222 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Even if he fails miserably in TB I see the Wings welcoming him back in some role in a heartbeat.

No way if he goes to the org and says, I want back in do they say no to THE Captain!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#223 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

He comes back either way. He got his GM opportunity quicker with a franchise that has considerable work to do. But hey however you look at it he is going to a team is a Cup winner more recent than the Hawks were... I expect Stevie back some day regardless.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#224 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Scotty left in '08.
88 goals left in '09.
And now Stevie leaves in '10.

I hope the Red Wings are done leaving for the rest of this off-season.

Disregard if named Jason Williams or Brett Lebda.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#225 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Just thought about a Wings/Lightning Cup Final. Man that would be rough.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#226 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9U3BIH-cBE

Wow - digging up the PASS videos. Brings back memories. My UM college roommate and I scraped together to buy PASS so we could watch ALL the Red Wings games....
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#227 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

Good luck to steve. I'm going to miss him.
But I am worried, the lightning organization has a history of bad management. Remember when they fired that coach (I forget his name) only after a few games. The owners are are very impatient, the want results now, they dont give it some time. ...but i could be mistaken, I think that was the lightning.

Yeah the Bolts are a horrible organization. Who hires the mullet for a coach in the first place? :unsure:

On one hand, it's a chance for Stevie to make an impact with a bad team. On the other hand, they are so dysfunctional maybe nobody can help. In that case, I hope he's back in Detroit. I wish him the best of luck though - would never want him to fail at anything. (although I can't say I was rooting for him in the Olympics, esp with Crybaby on his team).

Imo, Tampa shouldn't even have a franchise. Sure they won a Cup - freak occurrence just before the lockout, all the West power teams got knocked out. Waste of top draft picks going to a Fla team (why are there 2 teams in that state?). I guess it just irks me to reward repeated ineptness with high draft picks, but that's the way the system is set up - gotta live with it. Between the 2 teams, I'd leave the Bolts and dissolve the other team (Panthers? :unsure:). One of the forgotten teams of the NHL....
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#228 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

:(
Yeah but are they still gonna leave Stevie on the "Pure Michigan" commercials?
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#229 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

this really isnt a big deal, and i dont get why some people are feeling betrayed or soemthing. It happens all the time in sports. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but please people, stop actign like Steve Yzerman was a god or something. he didnt turn this franchise around by himself, in fact i think Lidstrom deserves more credit than Stevie.

Dont get me wrong, he was a huge part of it and was a great leader of the franchise.

Posted Image

#230 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

:(
Yeah but are they still gonna leave Stevie on the "Pure Michigan" commercials?

I thought Tim Allen does them? Is there a Stevie Y remix version?

Which gets me to think, I haven't been home in a while, is the Yzerman Mural still up in Downtown Detroit, the one that replaced Barry?

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#231 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

this really isnt a big deal, and i dont get why some people are feeling betrayed or soemthing. It happens all the time in sports. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but please people, stop actign like Steve Yzerman was a god or something. he didnt turn this franchise around by himself, in fact i think Lidstrom deserves more credit than Stevie.

Dont get me wrong, he was a huge part of it and was a great leader of the franchise.

You must be really young. Or you have a terrible memory. Steve Yzerman absolutely turned this franchise around. We didn't even get Nick till 1990. Yzerman had already taken the "dead wings" from a bottom feeder, to a playoff team before we even drafted Lidstrom. Yzerman was a one man wrecking crew, and was just as good defensively as he was offensively (6th all time in points).

Yzerman deserves by far more credit than any other former or current Red Wing.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 27 May 2010 - 02:50 AM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#232 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

You must be really young. Or you have a terrible memory. Steve Yzerman absolutely turned this franchise around. We didn't even get Nick till 1990. Yzerman had already taken the "dead wings" from a bottom feeder, to a playoff team before we even drafted Lidstrom. Yzerman was a one man wrecking crew, and was just as good defensively as he was offensively (6th all time in points).

Yzerman deserves by far more credit than any other former or current Red Wing.

lol at the bolded part

Yzerman was either offensive star (early years) or defensive star (but significantly worse offensive player) later (Bowman). He was one of the most important Red Wings, obviously, but he does not deserve more credit (for the Cup wins) than Fedorov, Lidstrom or Shanahan. And Lidstrom then went to win another in 08. That means he was more important overall.

Edited by Reds4Life, 27 May 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#233 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

And he became the World Cup 2004 MVP if i remember correctly :)

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#234 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Yeah the Bolts are a horrible organization. Who hires the mullet for a coach in the first place? :unsure:

On one hand, it's a chance for Stevie to make an impact with a bad team. On the other hand, they are so dysfunctional maybe nobody can help. In that case, I hope he's back in Detroit. I wish him the best of luck though - would never want him to fail at anything.

That was the previous Tampa ownership group that was so good at driving away fans in the area that some people were convinced that OK Hockey was actually trying to pull a reverse Slap Shot and use the falling attendance as an excuse to move the team to Winnipeg/Hamilton. Every hockey fan in Florida was thrilled to see them sell the team to Vinik earlier this year.

The new ownership really does seem to want to see the Bolts healthy and strong in the Bay area for the long term, and thrilled to find someone who comes from the a culture of excellence and 'much will be given; much will be expected'. From today's SPT:

http://www.tampabay....icle1097857.ece

"Steve and I have had several conversations about how great it would be if 27 years from now he and I were still working here and working hard on the Lightning," Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik said. "I'm the owner, and he's the GM of a championship organization."

#235 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

I don't see any need to compare Stevie's and Lids's contributions to the Wings. They've both been huge positive influences. But Stevie had to know he was taking a huge ego-step back when Scotty asked him to play a more defensive game. He knew his rep would take a hit. But even at a young age (?), he did it for the good of the team. How could he have known that ultimately, he'd be considered even more of a hockey god within the Wings' organization?

He's obviously a guy who is willing to test himself, to take chances. Holland's not going anywhere for awhile (and I appreciated Ilitch's candor about all that), and Stevie's ready to move on. I want to think that ultimately he'll be back as GM of the Wings.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#236 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

First of all, that PASS video is really cool. He actually says intelligent things compared to players today, which is nice.

Second, I highly doubt he'll be coming back people. If he goes to Tampa with the same attitude he used in approaching the Wings, he will create a winning culture there and commit to it. Plus, I highly doubt he'll want to displace is family and kids to Florida only to return to freezing cold Michigan. He's always said his time to the game is now taking a backseat to his family and kids.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#237 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Im shocked that there is no Photoshop of Anakin (Steve) and Obi-Wan (Holland) Only Holland should have a Red Light saber and Steve should have the Blue! for team color reasons only.. that would be Awesome!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 27 May 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#238 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Lidstrom didn't have to be captain.

Posted Image

#239 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

While he definitely didn't "turn this franchise around" alone, he was the centerpiece and deserves the most credit. Lidstrom, bless his heart, wasn't even close if you are comparing in this situation. You are going to get criticized for this heavily.

When I read of this Tuesday morning, I was just totally shocked. I knew he was up for the job in Tampa Bay, but I barely pay attention to behind the scenes stuff, I had zero clue who the other candidates were, I could probably only ID maybe 2 or 3 GMs off the top of my head, etc. So most of Tuesday was a sour, sad day. You rarely ever get this loyalty in professional sports anymore or in any profession.

I wish Yzerman the best of luck in Tampa!

#240 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

we should have traded yzerman for yashin so he could play with fedorov and dominate the league

we would have like 6 more cups

Posted Image