• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

He may still. There's no way he was going to get the GM job in Detroit until Kenny moves on/retires. At that point, Yzerman should be plenty experienced in his new role and may fit in nicely in Detroit. As much as its sucks to see him work for another team, look at the bright-side: He'll get a little wet behind the ears and make rookie mistakes on another teams' watch. Then he can GM in Detroit once Kenny is finished. :D

That's the way I'm looking at it... but it's still rough to imagine him being anywhere else, even if it's temporary :(

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

They got a guy who is respected by everyone in the hockey world. So he should have a good working relationship with virtually every other team when it comes to negotiations.

Also, he has the "Learned from Kenny Holland & Co." label, so that should help too.

Congrats Tampa Bay, I hope to see you in the finals soon!

#23 zata20

zata20

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Anyone else as anxious as me to see who he brings in as Head Coach?

#24 Yzermaynard

Yzermaynard

Me Grimlock Misses Mr. "The Captain" Already.

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

Since I have so much respect for the man, I will not begrudge him the opportunity to prove himself outside of our already formidable organization. Were he to wait around for his chance here, he would be seen as the guy who inhereted the keys to an empire. He would get no credit for its continuing greatness. On the other hand if it were to falter during his reign he would be seen as the man that brought it all crashing down.

This man is a true leader, and he requires a challenge... a chance to prove himself. The way I see it, I now have a team in the East that I can actually care about.

Good Luck Stevie, I hope to see you back in the D at some point in the distant future.
"Nothing in this world, that's worth having, comes easy."

#25 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Best of luck to him!!!!!

(First move? Lecavalier to Detroit for Derek Meech :hehe: )
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#26 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Yzerman just couldn't wait any longer... :(

I guess he won't participate in the scouting meeting in early june with the red wings when they talk draft, free agency etc :(

Edited by mindfly, 25 May 2010 - 09:19 AM.

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

Also, he has the "Learned from Kenny Holland & Co." label, so that should help too.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Jim Nill was considered for the job?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

That's the way I'm looking at it... but it's still rough to imagine him being anywhere else, even if it's temporary :(

No doubt it is, but he wants to be an NHL GM and since the position is already filled in Detroit (wonderfully, I might add) he had to go elsewhere *for the time being.* :D
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#29 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Good luck, Stevie.

#30 LEBDA22

LEBDA22

Eaves17

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Would it be an epic fail to get a Tampa jersey with Yzerman on the back?? I now have another team to root for. Sad to see The Legend go, but he was not going to get a chance in Detroit for who knows how long. As others have said, just needs some experience, and then he will be back. What happens if the Wings and Bolts meet up in the finals anytime soon? Who are you going to root for? The Captain, or our Team? Something to think about.
IPB Image

#31 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

Tampa is now my new favorite team in the East. Hopefully he can build a great team around the solid pieces they have, Stamkos, Hedman, St.Louis, Lecavalier etc.

It will hurt to see him with another team though.. imagine a Tampa-Detroit SCF.. it feels unlikely now but in a few years maybe he has turned them into a winner.

#32 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

ugh stevie just bolted
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#33 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

ugh stevie just bolted

Zing!

In fairness I'm sad to see Stevie go (and wish he could've stayed a couple more year) but Tampa being out of the spotlight and having low expectations is a good situation for him to take the next step in his career progression. Since the Detroit GM job is far more prestigious and sought-after he could still come back to us in the future.

#34 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

This is disappointing, hope Yzerman doesn't taint his name trying to save this cheesy franchise.

#35 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Tampa is now my new favorite team in the East. Hopefully he can build a great team around the solid pieces they have, Stamkos, Hedman, St.Louis, Lecavalier etc.

It will hurt to see him with another team though.. imagine a Tampa-Detroit SCF.. it feels unlikely now but in a few years maybe he has turned them into a winner.

I'm happy for Stevie, let's be honest I'm more happier then sad. He wasn't going to wait forever until he got the GM position in Detroit but at least like this Yzerman will get excellent experience and when the days of Holland are over he will re-join the Wings.

#36 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Tampa actually seems like one of the best opportunities there is now... new ownership that wants to win and is very hands off, GM gets to choose new coaching staff and inherits a LOT of young talent and some high picks in this years draft... furthermore, you add in the contingency of MI transplants in Tampa and this could potentially be the single best fit he could find outside of Detroit...

Can't argue with those reasons that's for sure.

#37 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

:( Sad about Stevie, but I think he'll be back someday. I'm with everyone else, let him get his experience now so he'll be ready to take over for Holland.

It's just hard to think of Stevie anywhere but here.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#38 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

wow, best of luck to stevie

anyone else a lightning fan now? lol

of course the wings will always be # 1 for me no matter what
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#39 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Don't worry guys. Stevie is just going there so he can trade Stamkos for Meech and then will step down as GM and come back to Detroit. Book it.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#40 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

wow, best of luck to stevie

anyone else a lightning fan now? lol

of course the wings will always be # 1 for me no matter what

they just became my #2, that's for sure... I'm real interested to see who he puts in place as coach now...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.