• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#41 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Well... not gonna be hard to pick a favorite team in the East now. If the overall situation stabilizes then I think he'll do very well, at the very least I hope he'll do very well.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Don't worry guys. Stevie is just going there so he can trade Stamkos for Meech and then will step down as GM and come back to Detroit. Book it.

haha, I'm pretty sure that would land him in jail, but it's a nice thought :lol:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#43 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

I really hate to see him go, but good for him. He is going to turn Stamkos into one really amazing player.

works every time

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

He may still. There's no way he was going to get the GM job in Detroit until Kenny moves on/retires. At that point, Yzerman should be plenty experienced in his new role and may fit in nicely in Detroit. As much as its sucks to see him work for another team, look at the bright-side: He'll get a little wet behind the ears and make rookie mistakes on another teams' watch. Then he can GM in Detroit once Kenny is finished. :D

That's about as a positive spin as you could put on Stevie's departure.

Best of luck Stevie :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Good to see him get his chance. Hopefully he learns a lot and gt the growing pains out of the way.

#46 zata20

zata20

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

What if he takes Maclean with him to be the HC?

#47 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Awesome news, congrats on the new gig, Stevie Y!

Of course I'm a little sad to see him go, but I'm very happy for him, this really is a great opportunity for him. Honestly, I think I'd rather have that job than be the new Wings GM. You can learn and make mistakes in Tampa that will go mostly unnoticed, not so in Detroit.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#48 Stu in Israel

Stu in Israel

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

"What happens if the Wings and Bolts meet up in the finals anytime soon? Who are you going to root for? The Captain, or our Team? Something to think about."

No, there's nothing to think about if you're a Red Wings fan!

I think Yzerman's position (Vice President?) was created merely to keep him around, and because Ilitch likes him, but when Ilitch tried to get Holland to move "up" to president, and Holland refused, Yzerman figured he had to jump at the chance of being a GM now.

Congratulations to Holland for standing his ground and congratulations to Yzerman for pursuing his dream.

Sometimes there's very little sentiment in sport, both by the teams and by the players. that's the name of the game.

#49 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

What if he takes Maclean with him to be the HC?

ooohhhh... that would be a tough pill to swallow...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#50 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Haha wow, well that didn't take long, on Stevie Y's wiki page, it already has him as "current GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning" :lol:
I would've liked for him to be the GM for the Wings but as long as Kenny is around, we should really just appreciate that. Besides, I'm sure Yzerman would love to be GM for the Red Wings if he were ever given the chance, who knows that the future holds :)

Anyways, best of luck to Stevie!

Edited by Namingway, 25 May 2010 - 10:28 AM.

#51 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Oh no ... when does Kenny H retire? Like other said, GMs now don't last forever in one position. Maybe we'll see you back in Detroit one day.

#52 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

ugh stevie just bolted

:tomato:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#53 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Maybe Kenny will have a new trade partner now ?!......

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

For the first time since 1983, the Detroit Red Wings no longer have the name "Yzerman" within their organization.

:(

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 acidroach420

acidroach420

You know I've got a soft spot for hot dogs

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Its sad to see him go, but, as has been said, this is a excellent chance got stevie to prove what he can do for a team being in charge in the office. On the up side, now I have a solid pick for my new number 1 non canadian team in the east.

Edited by acidroach420, 25 May 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#56 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

"He will probably never become a good GM in this league."
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#57 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Good for Stevie!

I know who I'm rooting for in the East now.

Posted Image

#58 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

"He will probably never become a good GM in this league."

There has to be meaning behind the quotation marks.

I'll bite....Tampa sucks and shouldn't be in the NHL?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#59 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

I REALLY hate to see Stevie go, but he has a lot of good young players to start off with, he gets to pick his own coach, and he gets to live it up in Florida. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. There's no question who my second favorite team is now.

On a somewhat related note, isn't it ironic that he went to the Lightning? The Wings are red/white, the Lightning are blue/black (the exact opposite colors). His best player has the same first name (except he's called Steven, not Steve or Stevie) and has the same two numbers, except in reverse (91). Its like Yzerman went to the bizarro Wings. :D

#60 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Best of luck to the Captain and the heart and soul of the Red Wings organization. I can't possibly be mad at him for taking a great opportunity - he paid his dues and earned everything that has come his way. I hope he succeeds in Tampa, as I'm sure he will after learning from the absolute best in the business. The Red Wings are the blueprint for the rest of the league.

At least he went to a team that we don't hate. I can root for Tampa Bay now in the Eastern Conference.

Edited by GoWings1905, 25 May 2010 - 11:15 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."