• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzerman#19

Bettman Lied To Me

Rate this topic

So I was listening to NHL radio a few weeks back on a slow day at work when Gary Bettman's live show was starting. For those unfamiliar, he takes callers questions and does lame interviews. So I decided to call in. I got through right away and I told his call screener I wanted to know if, like last year, would the first 2 games of the Cup finals be played on back to back nights. And I was told to hold. And I did for almost the entire hour. While Gary took one call after another. Toward the end he started taking some really weak calls and I was convinced he didn't want to answer my question on the air. Even though the Wings won both those first 2 games, I am convinced they were scheduled like that to favor that team from pennsylvania (seeing as Lidstrom was nursing an injury and yes, Detroit was the older team). Anyhow, finally he takes my call, the last call of the show. The show was on a 2 minute delay so I knew I had to watch what I said or they would just dump me. (And believe me, there was a lot I wanted to say) After he apologized for the long hold I said, "I think like a lot of hockey fans I felt playing the first two games of the Cup finals on back to back nights last year was an irreverent publicity stunt. Teams work so hard all year to get there and they deserved not to be rushed. And I want to know if we are going to see that again when scheduling this seasons Cup finals?" (I wanted to throw in "or was that just to try and screw the Wings last year?" But I didn't want to sound whiney or have my call dropped.) Once I had asked my question I was disconnected at once. I put on my head phones and a minute or so later, sure enough, my question was aired. And Gary's answer was absolutely YES. He started to spin saying that he felt it got things off to a good start and helped bring in some of the leagues best ratings in years...blah blah spin blah" (We all know it was the teams playing that brought in the ratings.)

Cut to today and I look that the schedule for the Cup final and I see that, surprise surprise, Gary lied. All the games are at least a day apart (as they should be). So not only did that weasel spin a bunch of B.S. he straight up lied to me on NHL radio. Unreal.

Sorry for the long post and to bring up that weasel and bad memories. But I had to rant.

So I was listening to NHL radio a few weeks back on a slow day at work when Gary Bettman's live show was starting. For those unfamiliar, he takes callers questions and does lame interviews. So I decided to call in. I got through right away and I told his call screener I wanted to know if, like last year, would the first 2 games of the Cup finals be played on back to back nights. And I was told to hold. And I did for almost the entire hour. While Gary took one call after another. Toward the end he started taking some really weak calls and I was convinced he didn't want to answer my question on the air. Even though the Wings won both those first 2 games, I am convinced they were scheduled like that to favor that team from pennsylvania (seeing as Lidstrom was nursing an injury and yes, Detroit was the older team). Anyhow, finally he takes my call, the last call of the show. The show was on a 2 minute delay so I knew I had to watch what I said or they would just dump me. (And believe me, there was a lot I wanted to say) After he apologized for the long hold I said, "I think like a lot of hockey fans I felt playing the first two games of the Cup finals on back to back nights last year was an irreverent publicity stunt. Teams work so hard all year to get there and they deserved not to be rushed. And I want to know if we are going to see that again when scheduling this seasons Cup finals?" (I wanted to throw in "or was that just to try and screw the Wings last year?" But I didn't want to sound whiney or have my call dropped.) Once I had asked my question I was disconnected at once. I put on my head phones and a minute or so later, sure enough, my question was aired. And Gary's answer was absolutely YES. He started to spin saying that he felt it got things off to a good start and helped bring in some of the leagues best ratings in years...blah blah spin blah" (We all know it was the teams playing that brought in the ratings.)

Cut to today and I look that the schedule for the Cup final and I see that, surprise surprise, Gary lied. All the games are at least a day apart (as they should be). So not only did that weasel spin a bunch of B.S. he straight up lied to me on NHL radio. Unreal.

Sorry for the long post and to bring up that weasel and bad memories. But I had to rant.

He is the most exact example of a human rat alive...

Not to get too far off topic, but what I don't understand is why NBC airs the first two games of the series, but not the 3rd and 4th.

What if either team sweeps the series? Then you'd have the Cup ceremony and the end of the NHL season being aired on Versus, where more than half the country wouldn't even see it. I don't like this partnership with NBC. The way they dictate the scheduling is horrible for marketing the league.

Not to get too far off topic, but what I don't understand is why NBC airs the first two games of the series, but not the 3rd and 4th.

What if either team sweeps the series? Then you'd have the Cup ceremony and the end of the NHL season being aired on Versus, where more than half the country wouldn't even see it. I don't like this partnership with NBC. The way they dictate the scheduling is horrible for marketing the league.

I have wondered the exact same thing...why on earth would NBC take that chance?

what do you want to hear from a lawyer, straight answer? wishful thinking. usually one needs another lawyer to decipher lawyer's answer, a so forth.

and, i bet, you haven't listen his show up to the very end where fine printing came out of his mouth.

I think I'm missing something here, as I would love to hear the playback.

From the post, this is what I gather the question as being:

- last year the first 2 games of the finals were played on back to back nights, will the same happen this year?

And this was Gary's answer:

- Yes.

If those are the correct facts, I would be absolutely shocked. Firstly, how would he know what the schedule is going to be before knowing what teams are there, other schedule conflicts, etc. Secondly, why would they plan it that way?

The way I suspected it actually unfolded is that, yes, if the same circumstances arose (TV schedule conflicts, etc.), they'd do the same thing and he would go on to justify why it wasn't such a bad thing last year.

I think I'm missing something here, as I would love to hear the playback.

From the post, this is what I gather the question as being:

- last year the first 2 games of the finals were played on back to back nights, will the same happen this year?

And this was Gary's answer:

- Yes.

If those are the correct facts, I would be absolutely shocked. Firstly, how would he know what the schedule is going to be before knowing what teams are there, other schedule conflicts, etc. Secondly, why would they plan it that way?

The way I suspected it actually unfolded is that, yes, if the same circumstances arose (TV schedule conflicts, etc.), they'd do the same thing and he would go on to justify why it wasn't such a bad thing last year.

You are not missing anything. It went down just the way I posted it. There was no maybe, we might, we would like to, possibly, or if circumstances allow. I asked a point blank question and he said "Yes, we will." And then went on to justify it. Sorry I can't provide you with a playback (perhaps it is archived on NHL radios site somewhere). It unfolded just as I posted it. Not as you speculate above. Believe it or not. I have no reason to lie or take anything out of context.

Last year, as well as this year, is all about getting NBC on the weekend games. Before last year, Versus had the first two, but it was different last year, because of NBC's request. They drive the scheduling of the playoffs and even special events like the Winter Classic. The league wanted Washington, while NBC wanted Philadelphia. I am guessing NBC and Versus are loving this final. Big TV market like Chicago and Comacast owns Versus, the Flyers, and soon NBC.

We all know he's a liar, so it's nothing new, from the instantly-created He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named-Rule at last year's ASG to his defense of inept league officiating time and time again.

If Bettman told me the sky was blue and water was wet, I'd go elsewhere for a second opinion.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

You are not missing anything. It went down just the way I posted it. There was no maybe, we might, we would like to, possibly, or if circumstances allow. I asked a point blank question and he said "Yes, we will." And then went on to justify it. Sorry I can't provide you with a playback (perhaps it is archived on NHL radios site somewhere). It unfolded just as I posted it. Not as you speculate above. Believe it or not. I have no reason to lie or take anything out of context.

I was listening that day and I can confirm your account of the story. Bettman said that the back-to-back SCF games would happen again this year. There was no "maybe" or "if".

we know the scheduling is not entirely up to him.. NBC has the NHL by the balls after all..

Right, it was NBC who had the NHL play back to back nights for last year's first two games of the final. Bettman tires to take the credit saying they pitched the idea to NBC.

I remember hearing for the NHL to have the Saturday night time slot, they also had to take Sunday's as well because of another show on NBC that Monday night.

He's a lawyer. It's what they do. Just ask GMR.

I look forward to the day when we can actually hunt them and I'm going after Bettman first.

the hunting season's been open for a while...

Edited by ami