• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Yzerman Likely to Target Wings Players

Rate this topic

I'm guessing that Yzerman will heavily target former or current Wings players, to try and draw them to Tampa.

We see this all the time in sports, when a new coach or GM tries to bring in players that they're familiar with and have played with before.

I don't think any star players will follow him there, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Maltby or Draper end up finishing their careers in Tampa now. Maybe Lilja if the Wings don't bring him back. Hey, when is Fedorov's contract up in Russia? :D

Anyway, I expect to see an increase in former Wings players on Tampa's roster.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'm guessing that Yzerman will heavily target former or current Wings players, to try and draw them to Tampa.

We see this all the time in sports, when a new coach or GM tries to bring in players that they're familiar with and have played with before.

I don't think any star players will follow him there, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Maltby or Draper end up finishing their careers in Tampa now. Maybe Lilja if the Wings don't bring him back. Hey, when is Fedorov's contract up in Russia? :D

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa has an increase in former Wings players on their roster.

I definitely thought we'd see Maltby there as soon as I heard this...

Just remembered Stevie omitted Stamkos, Vinny Lecav, and St. Louieee from the Canadian Olympic Team. Clearly a good call because they got the Gold, but any bad blood there?

Guest Lidstromboli

yeah he obviously omitted those players because he hates their stinkin guts

Just remembered Stevie omitted Stamkos, Vinny Lecav, and St. Louieee from the Canadian Olympic Team. Clearly a good call because they got the Gold, but any bad blood there?

Phil Esposito was talking about this on Power Play yesterday. He said he would definitely ask Yzerman at some point why he chose to leave them off the team, but complimented Stevie for making the 'tough decisions' when it came to putting together the team. They also mentioned that Lecavalier was at the press conference. They're all professionals so I really doubt there will be 'bad blood' per se.

New Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has to start filling out his staff and his roster soon, and that made several reporters ask whether he'd take anyone from the Detroit Red Wings' organization with him.

He told the Detroit News he wouldn't. And when asked if he would try to bring Nicklas Lidstrom to Tampa to finish out his career, he all but said he wouldn't.

But although he won't raid the Wings, there's a possibility that some outcasts might end up in Tampa. For one, there's a small chance -- emphasis on small -- that Tomas Holmstrom will hit the free agent market. But outside the longshot department, severals Wings players may be let go this offseason because of money reasons -- among them, Andreas Lilja, Derek Meech, Brett Lebda, Jason Williams and Brad May.

In addition, assistant coach Paul MacLean was a candidate for the Columbus Blue Jackets' coaching gig, so he could end up on Yzerman's short list for the Lightning job.

From ESPN.

It will basically be as described. A lot of guys who don't sign with the Wings may end up there. The one thing I am a little worried about are future guys that he knows the Wings are interested in. Tampa is usually picking well ahead of Detroit.

From ESPN.

It will basically be as described. A lot of guys who don't sign with the Wings may end up there. The one thing I am a little worried about are future guys that he knows the Wings are interested in. Tampa is usually picking well ahead of Detroit.

I think Tampa is picking far ahead enough of Detroit for us not to worry about them stealing our picks. Let's just hope Andersson hasn't given anything away...

Damn... he's got SO much cap space to play with too, it's insane...

This isn't really that out of the realm of possibility for them next year (not likely, but fun to play with)

Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.250m)

Vyacheslav Kozlov ($3.500m) / Steven Stamkos ($3.725m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)

Stephane Veilleux ($0.750m) / Mattew Lombardi ($2.500m) / Steve Downie ($2.000m)

Todd Fedoruk ($1.058m) / Paul Szczechura ($0.900m) / Kirk Maltby ($0.700m)

Ted Purcell ($0.600m)

Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)

Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Walker ($1.700m)

Kurtis Foster ($1.500m) / Matt Lashoff ($0.550m)

Matt Smaby ($0.525m)

Mike Smith ($2.200m) / Antero Niittymaki ($0.600m)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $60.559m; CAP ROOM: $1.468m BONUSES: $5.450m

Damn... he's got SO much cap space to play with too, it's insane...

This isn't really that out of the realm of possibility for them next year (not likely, but fun to play with)

Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.250m)

Vyacheslav Kozlov ($3.500m) / Steven Stamkos ($3.725m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)

Stephane Veilleux ($0.750m) / Mattew Lombardi ($2.500m) / Steve Downie ($2.000m)

Todd Fedoruk ($1.058m) / Paul Szczechura ($0.900m) / Kirk Maltby ($0.700m)

Ted Purcell ($0.600m)

Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)

Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Walker ($1.700m)

Kurtis Foster ($1.500m) / Matt Lashoff ($0.550m)

Matt Smaby ($0.525m)

Mike Smith ($2.200m) / Antero Niittymaki ($0.600m)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $60.559m; CAP ROOM: $1.468m BONUSES: $5.450m

That's not a bad lineup... Where the hell is all of our cap money going?

Anyway, I expect to see an increase in former Wings players on Tampa's roster.

Maybe stevie y can ship stamkos here for bertuzzi.... lol.