• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Yzerman Likely to Target Wings Players

Rate this topic

It doesn't seem crazy to think Maltby could end up in Tampa this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see any combo of Maltby, Lilja, Lebda or Meech down there. Bring some of the Red Wings culture to the dressing room.

I agree with other posters that trading Ozzie is a bad idea. I think we all know he wasn't happy last year, but he really has his own poor start to blame. Hopefully, he comes in trying to prove something next season, and he and Howard push each other in a healthy competition. Plus, who knows if Howard will have a sophomore slump?

Tampa seems ripe for a turn-around next season - don't think it'll have to take that many moves beyond providing some real stability in the office. Yzerman is the right guy for the job. Tampa Bay Red Lightning! It's strange how much one guy can change your appreciation for a team.

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Have to agree with HankThaTank here. Let's not get out of hand.

I think Ozzie, Maltby are the only "always going to be identified as a Red Wing" candidates at this point.

I'm guessing that Yzerman will heavily target former or current Wings players, to try and draw them to Tampa.

We see this all the time in sports, when a new coach or GM tries to bring in players that they're familiar with and have played with before.

I don't think any star players will follow him there, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Maltby or Draper end up finishing their careers in Tampa now. Maybe Lilja if the Wings don't bring him back. Hey, when is Fedorov's contract up in Russia? :D

Anyway, I expect to see an increase in former Wings players on Tampa's roster.

I bolded the important part of this post.

Nuff said. Move along.

Everyone seemingly.

At least all the players that some of us want to trade.

It doesn't really matter for these guys-- Holland wouldn't trade them to a team they weren't willing to go to anyway... that's just not his style. In the end the NTC is really just a formality for the Wings.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

He's got cap space but since when are the 'Ning big spenders? What can Stevie really do to overhaul the roster?

Taking this from the internet, they have nearly $39 mil committed to next year already and that's in 11 players.

They'll need to re sign Downie, Konopka, Craig, Ranger, Nittymaki, and maybe Hale and Tanguay. The salaries for those guys alone was near $10 mil last year. Expect raises for nearly everyone, which would put them over $50 million, which would make their team payroll in excess of 2009-2010.

I don't see Stevie doing a whole lot of overhauling for next year.

Now 2011-2012 is a completely different story. He's gonna feel like a kid in a candy store. Only thing out of his control will be who is available on the free agent market. He'll need to re sign St.Louis and Stamkos and they're going to cost a lot. But he should have nice wiggle room and a lot of uncommitted roster spots to play with.

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Virtually zero. Lidstrom and Holland have said many times that he'll retire a Wing. Stevie moving to TB doesn't change how Lidstrom feels about the Wings organization.

Lids wouldn't do it. This looks like a job for... Chelios!

I bolded the important part of this post.

Nuff said. Move along.

O.K. wise guy.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to make posts that try to predict the future or talk about things that may happen. Good thing you aren't a mod around here.

O.K. wise guy.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to make posts that try to predict the future or talk about things that may happen. Good thing you aren't a mod around here.

Haha.....I guess we're not supposed to even think or speak critically about Stevie Y around here.

O.K. wise guy.

Anyone is allowed to run around with their hair on fire and say anything that want. Hell, it happens a lot here. I have just as much of a right to say that you are full of crap and talking out your ass as you have to say what you want. Quite frankly, when I read your post, I thought it was one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. No GM in the history of the league would do what you are guessing would happen.

The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.

Anyone is allowed to run around with their hair on fire and say anything that want. Hell, it happens a lot here. I have just as much of a right to say that you are full of crap and talking out your ass as you have to say what you want. Quite frankly, when I read your post, I thought it was one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. No GM in the history of the league would do what you are guessing would happen.

Actually, pretty much every GM does that.

I must have pissed in your Cherios this morning for you to call me out for something that happens all the time in sports.

Actually, pretty much every GM does that.

I must have pissed in your Cherios this morning for you to call me out for something that happens all the time in sports.

LOL. I actually read "Chelios" at first. Thought it was some kinda Red Wings fan insider, "to piss in your Chelios". OK, not funny... continue.

LOL. I actually read "Chelios" at first. Thought it was some kinda Red Wings fan insider, "to piss in your Chelios". OK, not funny... continue.

:lol:

I actually had to re-read it too, because my brain first registered Chelios too, haha

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Umm...speaking of talking out of your ass.

GMR is right, and you happen to be very, very wrong. For forever and a day, GM's and coaches that have moved on have always, when possible, tried to bring in players from their former team. They do it b/c they know those players first hand, know what they can do and know their value/role to an organization. It happens all the time. And for you to suggest that they don't, shows a general lack of knowledge of the topic.

Does it mean that any Wings will make it onto the Tampa roster? No, it doesn't. But that's not the point. The point is that GM's do, very often, target players from their former organizations. There's no reason to think Stevie won't at least entertain the notion of bringing in a current Red Wing should someone be available and he happens to need a body to fill a spot.

And by my estimation, based upon the unsigned players they have, he may indeed be turning over a few roster spots. Maybe a Wing will end up in one of those spots.

Umm...speaking of talking out of your ass.

GMR is right, and you happen to be very, very wrong. For forever and a day, GM's and coaches that have moved on have always, when possible, tried to bring in players from their former team. They do it b/c they know those players first hand, know what they can do and know their value/role to an organization. It happens all the time. And for you to suggest that they don't, shows a general lack of knowledge of the topic.

Does it mean that any Wings will make it onto the Tampa roster? No, it doesn't. But that's not the point. The point is that GM's do, very often, target players from their former organizations. There's no reason to think Stevie won't at least entertain the notion of bringing in a current Red Wing should someone be available and he happens to need a body to fill a spot.

And by my estimation, based upon the unsigned players they have, he may indeed be turning over a few roster spots. Maybe a Wing will end up in one of those spots.

Agreed - I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL, to potentially see both Kozlov and Maltby on the Lightning's roster, come start of camp...

Nah, its for Lebda :yowza:

Lebda can't do it. Whoever spent a day being cranky and has been asked if someone pissed in their Lebda?

The big question in TB is whether it will be Cujo or Manny backing up Hasek.

Really?...That's a 2.5 plus hour drive 1 way...I know Drapes hails from the greater T.O. area, but making that daily commute would be a pain!

:lol: - Dman or a forward?...My 2 lads are of the 'stay @ home' type of defensemen ;)

Still too early to tell; only 11 weeks into GR. We should know as the season progresses down there. :D He was pretty active on the first game film we saw at 7 wks. pregnant. The Dr. said he was showing off for us, already showing signs of grit with a lot of jump. (Actually too early to tell the gender at this point; we'll see the next time we look at films!)

We had one drafted last year but never showed up to camp- (ectopic pregnancy, a fertilized egg had implanted outside the uterus, in the fallopian tubes). It was hard on the team to be sure, but overcoming the adversity made the team stronger. This season looks good so far.

While its great for some teams, we've never really considered looking into free agency, although my wife has a sister that was acquired as a UFA from Korea. At this point, we're looking to build our team thru the draft. But you never know.

Thanks for asking. :lol:

This biggest current Red Wing removal I'd be concerned about replacing this offseason would be Paul MacLean. He's already interviewed with Columbus, so it is in the realm of possibility that he'd hire him as a HC. That's one big moustache to fill.

He's got cap space but since when are the 'Ning big spenders? What can Stevie really do to overhaul the roster?

Taking this from the internet, they have nearly $39 mil committed to next year already and that's in 11 players.

They'll need to re sign Downie, Konopka, Craig, Ranger, Nittymaki, and maybe Hale and Tanguay. The salaries for those guys alone was near $10 mil last year. Expect raises for nearly everyone, which would put them over $50 million, which would make their team payroll in excess of 2009-2010.

I don't see Stevie doing a whole lot of overhauling for next year.

Now 2011-2012 is a completely different story. He's gonna feel like a kid in a candy store. Only thing out of his control will be who is available on the free agent market. He'll need to re sign St.Louis and Stamkos and they're going to cost a lot. But he should have nice wiggle room and a lot of uncommitted roster spots to play with.

To me,Alex Tanguay is a definite to be let go.He was a real disappointment in Tampa last year.Steve Downie will most likely be re-signed.I wouldn't count on Konopka being re-signed tho.