• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

I don't know. Drapes probably wants a 2nd home in Florida anyway. While I don't pretend to know anything about TB's 3rd and 4rth lines, you'd have to think Stevie Y would love to have his veteran leadership, experience and professionalism aboard. And from Drape's point of view, he moves down there, finds a waterfront property in Clearwater or St Pete, the fam comes down to visit at CHristmas, and Easter, and voila, he's got his retirement home in Florida. Sounds like a good deal to me.

And that's the thing...who's to say he wants a 2nd home in Florida? From what I've read, he loves it where he is. On top of that, it's not like Drapes' kids are old. They have plenty of school left before he would likely want a Winter home, if he does at all...and time is of the essence on this deal given Draper is getting closer to retirement.

Edit: BTW NFM, Congrats on the new Avatar. My wife Jen (aka The Jenerator) and I have prospect #1 down in GR as we speak; scheduled to be called up to start Dec 15!

Thanks, and many Congrats yourself! It's truly amazing from moment you find out to moment your first-born arrives! Best of luck!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#42 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

i could see a trade sending Ozzy then again i wouldnt mind having him there one more yr to help out howard, maltby and miller, maybe even lilja if we let him walk might sign in TB.

#43 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Osgood is an excellent trade candidate.

Agreed. Ozzie is a guy who's played for two other teams but is still considered a Red Wing for life. I doubt he'd be as opposed to moving to TB as someone like Draper, Holmstrom or Maltby would.

I'd still like Ozzie to be a part of the Wings' organization once he retires, though.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#44 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

who has NTC on the Wings does anyone know ?

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

who has NTC on the Wings does anyone know ?

Everyone seemingly.

At least all the players that some of us want to trade.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

Rafalski
Cleary(questionable one)
Stuart
Lidstrom
Draper
Datsyuk

is that all ? those are the only ones i could find on the net.

#47 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

I highly doubt Ozzie being traded unless we're not making the playoffs and we send him off to a competitor in need of a goalie / depth.

Howard is good, I'm still not 100% sold on him maybe about 85% as of now but will see how he handles next season. He needs to be better then this season he just had.

After Howard I wouldn't trust our goaltending on anyone else but Ozzie. McCollum is still not ready for NHL nor backup duty.

Assuming Ozzie is gone and Howards plays bad or get injured ... we're doomed.

As I said the only time I would be okay with trading Ozzie is at the trade deadline.

#48 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

From ESPN.

It will basically be as described. A lot of guys who don't sign with the Wings may end up there. The one thing I am a little worried about are future guys that he knows the Wings are interested in. Tampa is usually picking well ahead of Detroit.

Even if he wanted all of them, he can't say anything because of tampering rules. So anything he says regarding this topic is all window dressing.

#49 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

To assume that Holland didn't see this coming eventually is absurd. As much of a Red Wing as he was, he was fair game to any and every team out there and Holland knew this, and probably has more than a few ideas of how this is going to play out. And to assume that a first time GM is going to out smart a guy like Holland is kinda funny. Our first idea of who's actually pulling the strings in Tampa will be the draft and THEN we'll see what Stevie is made of.

All that being said, my money is still on the guy who drafts all-stars past the 5th round whose last name starts with "H" and ends with "olland"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Edited by F.Michael, 26 May 2010 - 08:15 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#51 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... Posted Image

Posted Image There are some things I can sit back and accept. Stevie not being attached to the Wings org anymore is just about bad enough. Now the sheer thought of anyone thinking this...Not saying you actually think it will happen but remove it from your head.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#52 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Agreed. Ozzie is a guy who's played for two other teams but is still considered a Red Wing for life. I doubt he'd be as opposed to moving to TB as someone like Draper, Holmstrom or Maltby would.

I'd still like Ozzie to be a part of the Wings' organization once he retires, though.

I'd rather keep Ozzie; who's out there that Holland can trust that's paid roughly the same, and that'll accept the fact that he'll either share starts, or most likely be the #2 guy?

Now on the other hand if trading Ozzie meant St.Louis was heading in our direction...Well then that's a different story :D

Posted Image There are some things I can sit back and accept. Stevie not being attached to the Wings org anymore is just about bad enough. Now the sheer thought of anyone thinking this...Not saying you actually think it will happen but remove it from your head.

Sorry - I'm of the pessimistic/realistic type of character.

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Draper lives in the Toronto area and commutes to Detroit because he wants to raise his family there.

Really?...That's a 2.5 plus hour drive 1 way...I know Drapes hails from the greater T.O. area, but making that daily commute would be a pain!

Edit: BTW NFM, Congrats on the new Avatar. My wife Jen (aka The Jenerator) and I have prospect #1 down in GR as we speak; scheduled to be called up to start Dec 15!

:lol: - Dman or a forward?...My 2 lads are of the 'stay @ home' type of defensemen ;)

#54 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

It doesn't seem crazy to think Maltby could end up in Tampa this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see any combo of Maltby, Lilja, Lebda or Meech down there. Bring some of the Red Wings culture to the dressing room.

I agree with other posters that trading Ozzie is a bad idea. I think we all know he wasn't happy last year, but he really has his own poor start to blame. Hopefully, he comes in trying to prove something next season, and he and Howard push each other in a healthy competition. Plus, who knows if Howard will have a sophomore slump?

#55 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Tampa seems ripe for a turn-around next season - don't think it'll have to take that many moves beyond providing some real stability in the office. Yzerman is the right guy for the job. Tampa Bay Red Lightning! It's strange how much one guy can change your appreciation for a team.

#56 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Have to agree with HankThaTank here. Let's not get out of hand.

I think Ozzie, Maltby are the only "always going to be identified as a Red Wing" candidates at this point.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#57 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Trade our 3rd and 4th lines for Lecavalier and St.Louis. Get er done Steve....and Kenny.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#58 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I'm guessing that Yzerman will heavily target former or current Wings players, to try and draw them to Tampa.

We see this all the time in sports, when a new coach or GM tries to bring in players that they're familiar with and have played with before.

I don't think any star players will follow him there, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Maltby or Draper end up finishing their careers in Tampa now. Maybe Lilja if the Wings don't bring him back. Hey, when is Fedorov's contract up in Russia? :D

Anyway, I expect to see an increase in former Wings players on Tampa's roster.

I bolded the important part of this post.

Nuff said. Move along.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#59 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Everyone seemingly.

At least all the players that some of us want to trade.

It doesn't really matter for these guys-- Holland wouldn't trade them to a team they weren't willing to go to anyway... that's just not his style. In the end the NTC is really just a formality for the Wings.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#60 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

He's got cap space but since when are the 'Ning big spenders? What can Stevie really do to overhaul the roster?

Taking this from the internet, they have nearly $39 mil committed to next year already and that's in 11 players.

They'll need to re sign Downie, Konopka, Craig, Ranger, Nittymaki, and maybe Hale and Tanguay. The salaries for those guys alone was near $10 mil last year. Expect raises for nearly everyone, which would put them over $50 million, which would make their team payroll in excess of 2009-2010.

I don't see Stevie doing a whole lot of overhauling for next year.

Now 2011-2012 is a completely different story. He's gonna feel like a kid in a candy store. Only thing out of his control will be who is available on the free agent market. He'll need to re sign St.Louis and Stamkos and they're going to cost a lot. But he should have nice wiggle room and a lot of uncommitted roster spots to play with.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.