• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Virtually zero. Lidstrom and Holland have said many times that he'll retire a Wing. Stevie moving to TB doesn't change how Lidstrom feels about the Wings organization.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#62 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

While I was watching the news conference yesterday I was thinking 'what are the chances of Stevie convincing Lids to come down to Tampa to mentor Hedman'... :unsure:

Lids wouldn't do it. This looks like a job for... Chelios!

#63 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Virtually zero. Lidstrom and Holland have said many times that he'll retire a Wing. Stevie moving to TB doesn't change how Lidstrom feels about the Wings organization.

I'd bet my house that it wouldn't happen.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

I bolded the important part of this post.

Nuff said. Move along.

O.K. wise guy.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to make posts that try to predict the future or talk about things that may happen. Good thing you aren't a mod around here.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 taxijim

taxijim

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

O.K. wise guy.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to make posts that try to predict the future or talk about things that may happen. Good thing you aren't a mod around here.

Haha.....I guess we're not supposed to even think or speak critically about Stevie Y around here.

#66 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

O.K. wise guy.

Anyone is allowed to run around with their hair on fire and say anything that want. Hell, it happens a lot here. I have just as much of a right to say that you are full of crap and talking out your ass as you have to say what you want. Quite frankly, when I read your post, I thought it was one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. No GM in the history of the league would do what you are guessing would happen.

The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#67 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Anyone is allowed to run around with their hair on fire and say anything that want. Hell, it happens a lot here. I have just as much of a right to say that you are full of crap and talking out your ass as you have to say what you want. Quite frankly, when I read your post, I thought it was one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. No GM in the history of the league would do what you are guessing would happen.

Actually, pretty much every GM does that.

I must have pissed in your Cherios this morning for you to call me out for something that happens all the time in sports.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#68 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Actually, pretty much every GM does that.

I must have pissed in your Cherios
this morning for you to call me out for something that happens all the time in sports.

LOL. I actually read "Chelios" at first. Thought it was some kinda Red Wings fan insider, "to piss in your Chelios". OK, not funny... continue.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#69 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

LOL. I actually read "Chelios" at first. Thought it was some kinda Red Wings fan insider, "to piss in your Chelios". OK, not funny... continue.

:lol:
I actually had to re-read it too, because my brain first registered Chelios too, haha

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#70 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Umm...speaking of talking out of your ass.

GMR is right, and you happen to be very, very wrong. For forever and a day, GM's and coaches that have moved on have always, when possible, tried to bring in players from their former team. They do it b/c they know those players first hand, know what they can do and know their value/role to an organization. It happens all the time. And for you to suggest that they don't, shows a general lack of knowledge of the topic.

Does it mean that any Wings will make it onto the Tampa roster? No, it doesn't. But that's not the point. The point is that GM's do, very often, target players from their former organizations. There's no reason to think Stevie won't at least entertain the notion of bringing in a current Red Wing should someone be available and he happens to need a body to fill a spot.

And by my estimation, based upon the unsigned players they have, he may indeed be turning over a few roster spots. Maybe a Wing will end up in one of those spots.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#71 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Lids wouldn't do it. This looks like a job for... Chelios!

Nah, its for Lebda :yowza:

#72 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Umm...speaking of talking out of your ass.

GMR is right, and you happen to be very, very wrong. For forever and a day, GM's and coaches that have moved on have always, when possible, tried to bring in players from their former team. They do it b/c they know those players first hand, know what they can do and know their value/role to an organization. It happens all the time. And for you to suggest that they don't, shows a general lack of knowledge of the topic.

Does it mean that any Wings will make it onto the Tampa roster? No, it doesn't. But that's not the point. The point is that GM's do, very often, target players from their former organizations. There's no reason to think Stevie won't at least entertain the notion of bringing in a current Red Wing should someone be available and he happens to need a body to fill a spot.

And by my estimation, based upon the unsigned players they have, he may indeed be turning over a few roster spots. Maybe a Wing will end up in one of those spots.

Agreed - I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL, to potentially see both Kozlov and Maltby on the Lightning's roster, come start of camp...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#73 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Your actually right in a way its hilarious, Lebda can teach Hedman not what to do :P

#74 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Lebda can't do it. Whoever spent a day being cranky and has been asked if someone pissed in their Lebda?

The big question in TB is whether it will be Cujo or Manny backing up Hasek.

#75 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Really?...That's a 2.5 plus hour drive 1 way...I know Drapes hails from the greater T.O. area, but making that daily commute would be a pain!

:lol: - Dman or a forward?...My 2 lads are of the 'stay @ home' type of defensemen ;)

Still too early to tell; only 11 weeks into GR. We should know as the season progresses down there. :D He was pretty active on the first game film we saw at 7 wks. pregnant. The Dr. said he was showing off for us, already showing signs of grit with a lot of jump. (Actually too early to tell the gender at this point; we'll see the next time we look at films!)

We had one drafted last year but never showed up to camp- (ectopic pregnancy, a fertilized egg had implanted outside the uterus, in the fallopian tubes). It was hard on the team to be sure, but overcoming the adversity made the team stronger. This season looks good so far.

While its great for some teams, we've never really considered looking into free agency, although my wife has a sister that was acquired as a UFA from Korea. At this point, we're looking to build our team thru the draft. But you never know.

Thanks for asking. :lol:

#76 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

This biggest current Red Wing removal I'd be concerned about replacing this offseason would be Paul MacLean. He's already interviewed with Columbus, so it is in the realm of possibility that he'd hire him as a HC. That's one big moustache to fill.

#77 Red Wings 2010

Red Wings 2010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

St.Louis didn't look too happy on an interview when they found out Steve Y was the GM.<_<

#78 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

He's got cap space but since when are the 'Ning big spenders? What can Stevie really do to overhaul the roster?

Taking this from the internet, they have nearly $39 mil committed to next year already and that's in 11 players.

They'll need to re sign Downie, Konopka, Craig, Ranger, Nittymaki, and maybe Hale and Tanguay. The salaries for those guys alone was near $10 mil last year. Expect raises for nearly everyone, which would put them over $50 million, which would make their team payroll in excess of 2009-2010.

I don't see Stevie doing a whole lot of overhauling for next year.

Now 2011-2012 is a completely different story. He's gonna feel like a kid in a candy store. Only thing out of his control will be who is available on the free agent market. He'll need to re sign St.Louis and Stamkos and they're going to cost a lot. But he should have nice wiggle room and a lot of uncommitted roster spots to play with.

To me,Alex Tanguay is a definite to be let go.He was a real disappointment in Tampa last year.Steve Downie will most likely be re-signed.I wouldn't count on Konopka being re-signed tho.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#79 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

St.Louis didn't look too happy on an interview when they found out Steve Y was the GM.<_<

He's probably stilled pissed off he wasn't picked for the Olympic team :hehe:

#80 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Yzerman would a bad GM if he didn't target any Wings. I doubt he wants to start his career on the wrong foot.