• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Cleary okay after surgery on left knee

Rate this topic

A simple elaboration would potentially get more acknowledgement... I don't exactly get who you are referring to.

It's just that everyone ok with Cleary's bad season and playoffs because he was a warrior and played through an injury, yet there are a million people on this board who hate Hossa for the same reason. It just seems like a double standard to me is all.

It's just that everyone ok with Cleary's bad season and playoffs because he was a warrior and played through an injury, yet there are a million people on this board who hate Hossa for the same reason. It just seems like a double standard to me is all.

I definitely hear ya on that..but to be honest it can be said with guys like Cleary and Hossa there really just might be a double standard. Cleary has fought for us year in and year out since we got him back in 05-06. He's a great character guy that really gives his all every shift and fought through an injury maybe as similar to Hossa we may think that is, its actually although hypocritical as it may sound, a somewhat different scenario. Hossa was a rental the whole time and we knew that, took less to win the Cup and became a reason why we got there and a reason why we lost it in some people's books. But whats lost I think is what guys like Cleary bring just by being on the ice, hurt or not. Guys really rally around a guy like that playing hurt.

Like above. Hossa was a one shot and came here specifically to win a Cup. The fact that he underperformed (for whatever reason) won't exactly endear him to fans. Cleary has been battling for the Wings for a long time. Hossa was like an expensive hooker that sucked in bed.

Guest Crymson

Cleary is a total badass. I think he's one of the hardest workers and toughest players in the league. He never gives anything less than 100% on any shift, and he doesn't seem to even for a second feel like the team is entitled to anything less than his full effort every game. He's a talented player who hit rock bottom but was able to resurrect his career with hard work and tenacity. I'll never forget a moment of his in a game in 2007 against the Blackhawks: he took a hit that busted a ligament in his knee, but still struggled up from the ice---in very obvious pain---to screen the goalie and try to deflect a shot into the net. Most players would likely have hugged the ice after getting hit that hard, but I doubt the thought of doing so ever occurred to Cleary. He's just a down-to-earth warrior-type with no ego and no quit in him.

Hossa, as others have mentioned, was a rental who ate up cap space and did nothing during the playoffs. His $7.4m would have been better used elsewhere. Also, he admitted that his performance in the finals was as much influenced by nerves as by injury. And, in any event, he's nowhere near the hard worker that Cleary is.

Cleary's definitely a hard worker and is my favorite player because of it. But if we're talking about underperforming due to injuries, I think the players(regardless of previous history)should be given credit for toughing it out.

Like above. Hossa was a one shot and came here specifically to win a Cup. The fact that he underperformed (for whatever reason) won't exactly endear him to fans. Cleary has been battling for the Wings for a long time. Hossa was like an expensive hooker that sucked in bed.

Isn't that what they're supposed to do?

:hehe:

I was waiting for someone to capitalize on that.

I was waiting for someone to capitalize on that.

He bolded it. Close enough.

I think a lot of the difference between the perception of Hossa and that of Cleary is what they are each expected to do.

Cleary is expected to be a grinder and chip in some goals (and often clutch ones) and that is what he did in the playoffs. He didn't do it as well as he usually does, but now that we know why, we understand.

Hossa was expected to put the puck in the net. A lot. He didn't. We found out later why he didn't, but by that time he was gone.

With Cleary, we can look ahead and say, "well, the poor lad was hurt this year, but he'll be better next year and all will be well."

With Hossa, we can say, "yeah, sure. He's all injured the ONE AND ONLY year we get him. Now that he's with SOMEONE ELSE he's all rested and healed and just fine and dandy. Thanks for telling us that you were hurt earlier- like WHEN WE SPENT AS MUCH CASH ON YOU AS ON OUR FREE KING CAPTAIN!!!!!" As I understand it, they - Hossa and Holland - knew that Hossa would need surgery at some point in the future, they just didn't know how long it would wait.

In short, Cleary has a chance to redeem himself, and has the track record with us to make us believe that this is probable. With Hossa, it's too little too late.

Yeah, and they ended up 30th in the standings. The Wings didn't.

What makes this more astounding is that almost all of the injuries on the Wings were to key top-half players. The Wings should have been much worse than they were.

Maybe he should have sat out of the rest of the season so somebody who was %100 could've played. I don't believe somebody with those injuries can effectively play professional hockey.