• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AIK'91

Yzerman Jersey

Rate this topic

Now, Stevie's by far my favorite player of all time, ever since I was 3 years old. And I have no qualms with still wearing his jersey around.

But, if you were to go to a Wings game next year, would you still wear #19 to the game even if you had the jersey of another current player? I was just thinking this would be kind of awkward. It would somewhat be like supporting another franchise while attending a Wings game.

If it was anyone else who left the organization, I wouldn't even think about it--his jersey wouldn't be worn. This case is different obviously. In my mind, the Red Wings and Yzerman are still one and the same. Since Yzerman's done so much for Detroit and Red Wings fans, I feel really bad for the fact that I'm even thinking about not wearing his jersey to a game.

Has this crossed anyone's mind at all though?

EDIT: I guess it's too late to backtrack now. I already screwed myself with this post. :lol:

So I should probably just better explain what I was thinking at the time I posted this. Of course, it's ridiculous to not wear Stevie's jersey. He's done everything for this organization. Like for a lot of people, he's maybe the main reason I love hockey so much.

For the longest time, I only had an Yzerman jersey. And I still wore it often to games the past few years. But I wore it less after he retired; not because I didn't have the same emotional attachment, but more so because I thought at games it would be better to support the players on the ice now.

So, what I'm saying is, if on gameday, you had an option, would you now be slightly more inclined to wear a Datsyuk or Zetterberg instead, while obviously still having the same utmost respect for Stevie. ;)

Edited by AIK'91

why wouldn't you wear his jersey? or anyone that might have left the organization on good terms? i wouldn't feel weird at all about wearing #19 to a game.

note - glad to see another chicagoan who loves the winged wheel.

Edited by ChitownWingsfan

why wouldn't you wear his jersey? or anyone that might have left the organization on good terms? i wouldn't feel weird at all about wearing #19 to a game.

note - glad to see another chicagoan who loves the winged wheel.

Ahhh...good choice of words, you're absolutely right. Now I feel really silly for creating the topic. I should have thought it through. I wish I could go back in time and prevent this thread from ever happening. The Internet isn't very forgiving though. :(

Oh, and sorry I'm not really another Chicagoan. I lived my entire life in the metro-Detroit area and now I just go to college near Chicago.

Edited by AIK'91

When I go to games here in Dallas, as well as the games at the Joe in recent years that I've been to, there have still been plenty of Yzerman jerseys. Obviously, that was before Stevie left, but I think there would be no shortage of Yzerman jerseys in the crowds. The two games I went to here in Dallas this year, I saw Shanahan, Coffey, Ciccarelli, Hossa, Lapointe, etc.

If my Yzerman jersey weren't retired (due to an unremovable stain, and the Wings crest won't lay flat), I would GLADLY still wear it to games. Probably the only time I wouldn't wear it would be if we were playing Tampa, but that's kinda a given if you think about it.

this is kinda ridiculous really, just becasue he's part fo another organization now it doesnt mean it diminishes what he did for the wings. Thats like saying Chicago Bulls fans shouldnt wear MJ jerseys simply because he finished his career with the wizards.

I think it's great when people wear retired players' jerseys, whether it's Yzerman, Howe, Shanahan, Fedorov, whoever - the Wings have a great history and it's cool to see people honor that. I don't think it's supporting another franchise, in the case of guys like Shanny or Feds; it's appreciating the effort they put into making a Wings a truly great team. If they decide to move on, well, that's life, but I think it's worth it to remember the years they spent with the Wings. And I just don't see how wearing a Red Wings jersey is supporting another team...I'd probably have some issues with somebody who showed up to a Wings game with a Rangers Shanny jersey, but a Wings jersey? No prob, Bob.

On the other hand, if I were only going to one game a year or something and had to make a big decision between an old jersey or a current player's, I'd probably wear a current one to show my support for the guys on the ice. But if you're going to several games a year, which is obviously more likely, then go ahead and mix it up! Put 'em all in rotation, hehe.

I'll even wear my yzerman jersey when they come here to washington =p. Even tho I haven't been able to go to any yet because they get sold out soooo fast. My brother and cousin have been to 2 =(. But I'm determined to get tickets to a game when they come back. and when they do you better believe I'll be wearing my yzerman jersey and red wings hat with pride

Why would there be an issue with wearing an Yzerman jersey?

Hell, why not get a #19 Yzerman Tampa Bay jersey with the C on it and wear that instead if you're so concerned?

If their jerseys weren't so ugly I just might've.

Jerseys are expensive, wear the hell out of them :) I have Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Konstantinov's jersey, and they all get put into the rotation. I actually think its cool when I see older jersey's at the Joe are at the bars - it shows that this team has a strong history and fans that acknowledge that history. As a contrast, I've never seen anyone wearing a Penguins jersey other than Crosby, Malkin, and the occasional Lemieux thrown in for good measure.

Jerseys are expensive, wear the hell out of them :) I have Yzerman's, Lidstrom's, and Konstantinov's jersey, and they all get put into the rotation. I actually think its cool when I see older jersey's at the Joe are at the bars - it shows that this team has a strong history and fans that acknowledge that history. As a contrast, I've never seen anyone wearing a Penguins jersey other than Crosby, Malkin, and the occasional Lemieux thrown in for good measure.

If I EVER wore a Penguins jersey, I think it would have to be a Ron Francis or Tom Barrasso.

I have the Konstantinov, Lids, and Hank jerseys which I rotate throughout the year. The Vladi jersey will never go out of style in Hockeytown. And the Stevie jersey is the most worn to date and will always be I have a feeling. He took a job with an Eastern conf. joke of an org and I have no doubt he will build them up. He will always be in my mind and every poster on here's mind THE Captain of the Red Wings. Wear it proudly sir! thumbup.gif

Edited by HankthaTank

If you like a player you wear his jersey. I still like him even though he's not in the organization anymore.

But you are right in saying that I am more inclined to wear an active player's jersey, just because you want to support the current team at games. However, if you liked an era or a certain player in the past, it's totally cool to wear their jersey.

I have work Yzerman jerseys to games for years. And i have about 20 other jerseys, 8 of which are current or other former red wings. Its a good luck charm to wear my Yzerman jersey to games. I dont always wear it, but i wear it often when signs tell me too. My girlfriend and I always wear the same players jersey as it has always brought us luck. So if there is a sign that we should wear our Yzerman jeresy's (for instance the game 4 against the sharks we got tickets the day before the game, and found that we were in row 19 so we knew it was a Stevie night) so we wore our Yzerman jerseys and the wings crushed the sharks. Sometimes we wear out Zetterbergs, but hte point is we have always worn out Yzerman jerseys with pride and we always will. The guy is the reason this is hockeytown. Him moving on to another franchise wont change that! And hopefully we are just loaning him to Tampa for a few years before he comes back here for the full time job.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear my Yzerman sweater to a Wings game! To me - amd many, many others - Stevie always has been, and always will be a Red Wing, no matter where he goes or how long is gone from Detroit. For almost 30 years, he was synonymous with Detroit hockey.

As for that Lightning sweater - ummm, no. Stevie never played for the Lightning, so I don't think having a sweater with his name and number - and the C - on it would be right. Just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't do that.