• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ram

Conn Smythe Candidates

Rate this topic

Hey all, just thought this would be a good topic up for debate before Game 1 on Saturday.

I know NHL.com and The Hockey News had mentioned Flyers' goalie Leighton as a current candidate as well as the spirited play of Niemi which you'd have to be dumb to not notice. Gotta hand it to Toews though, he has been a real leader for his team.

Keeping in mind the Conn Smythe judges for the entirety of the playoffs and not just the Finals, those are the obvious choices. I think Byfuglien, Richards, Carter, have a shot at it too. Just glad Hossa and Pronger don't have a real shot. And please not Mrs. Taxi Driver's Worst Nightmare, he hasn't been that good.

I hate the Hawks but damn they're a good team. Should the Flyers win though, any chance someone from the Hawks still gets it? I doubt it as it's only happened 5 times. Only way it's gonna happen is if Niemi goes absolutely insane and the Flyers still win, IMO. It just seems the Flyers are more of an all-around team and the Hawks have more standouts. This could be because I pay more attention to the Clarence Campbell Conference though.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

If the Flyers win it will be because of the excellent play of Leighton. To come off of an injury the way he did and absolutely dominate is an amazing story and speaks of how great of a playoff run he is having. It just smells of Conn Smythe.

The Flyers shouldn't be there. Leighton is a huge reason why they are. Toews leads in points and Niemi has great stats. Byfuglien should also be mentioned with all the GWGs he has.

Flyers: Leighton, Richards

Hawks: Toews, Niemi, Byfuglien

I doubt Leighton would get the nod if they won, considering he didn't start playing until halfway through the second round. He's been good, but from watching the ECF the Flyers really gave it to the Habs, Leighton wasn't challenged much in that series and his numbers (spectacular though they are) reflect that.

Unless he has a really terrible series (in which case they probably won't win so it's a moot point) I have a tough time imagining anyone but Richards getting it for the Flyers.

If the playoffs ended today and if he continues his play to this point, it will be Toews hands down... with that said, if Leighton can come in and REALLY shut down Chicago, he'd have to get some serious consideration with the way he played in the ECF coupled with a shutdown SCF leading to a win... Also, lets not rule out Duncan Keith at this point either, if he has a HUGE SCF, he could have an outside shot too and (throw up in mouth moment) Pronger has to get some consideration as well depending on the outcome...

With all that said, I think Chicago is going to win the cup and I think Toews will ultimately win the Conn Smythe....

One way or another, I'm going to want to puke regardless of the outcome and I hate everything about this years Stanley Cup Finals...

I doubt Leighton would get the nod if they won, considering he didn't start playing until halfway through the second round. He's been good, but from watching the ECF the Flyers really gave it to the Habs, Leighton wasn't challenged much in that series and his numbers (spectacular though they are) reflect that.

Unless he has a really terrible series (in which case they probably won't win so it's a moot point) I have a tough time imagining anyone but Richards getting it for the Flyers.

I think that he's emergence in the absence of Boucher is a huge reason as to why he would take the Conn Smythe. Like has been said, at this point - he's arguably the biggest reason for their being in the Stanley Cup Finals. Whether or not the ECF was decided by the play of the Flyers skaters, you can't overlook 3 shutouts.

I doubt Leighton wins. They find some way to give it to Pronger probably. I mean Leighton has been good and at times great, but he "hasn't got enough wins". And they like wins, we all know that.

Has it ever been the losing team's player to win it btw?

Anyways...

Hawks: Toews, Niemi (+ Bufloylagllelgien outside chance maybe)

Flyers: Richards, Pronger (+ Leighton outside chance maybe)

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Hey all, just thought this would be a good topic up for debate before Game 1 on Saturday.

I know NHL.com and The Hockey News had mentioned Flyers' goalie Leighton as a current candidate as well as the spirited play of Niemi which you'd have to be dumb to not notice. Gotta hand it to Toews though, he has been a real leader for his team.

Keeping in mind the Conn Smythe judges for the entirety of the playoffs and not just the Finals, those are the obvious choices. I think Byfuglien, Richards, Carter, have a shot at it too. Just glad Hossa and Pronger don't have a real shot. And please not Mrs. Taxi Driver's Worst Nightmare, he hasn't been that good.

I hate the Hawks but damn they're a good team. Should the Flyers win though, any chance someone from the Hawks still gets it? I doubt it as it's only happened 5 times. Only way it's gonna happen is if Niemi goes absolutely insane and the Flyers still win, IMO. It just seems the Flyers are more of an all-around team and the Hawks have more standouts. This could be because I pay more attention to the Clarence Campbell Conference though.

Kenny Powers pic and Ducks sig....oh. my. god.

On topic: My pics would be: Carter, Richards, Niemi,

Has it ever been the losing team's player to win it btw?

According to Wikipedia, 5 times. Roger Crozier, Glenn Hall, Reggie Leach, Ron Hextall, and J.S. Giguere. Leach and Hextall were both members of losing Philadelphia Flyers squads when they won.

Leighton winning it would be a slap in the face of guys like Richards and Pronger who've carried their team for the whole playoffs and not just half of it. Leighton's shutouts against Montreal were some of the easiest I've witnessed. The Flyers gave them no room in their zone and their neutral zone pressure was brilliant. The Habs could barely get a decent offensive zone entry on the PP.

Besides, it's sad to say, but Chicago's probably gonna destroy Philly so no Flyer will even get considered.

Leighton winning it would be a slap in the face of guys like Richards and Pronger who've carried their team for the whole playoffs and not just half of it. Leighton's shutouts against Montreal were some of the easiest I've witnessed. The Flyers gave them no room in their zone and their neutral zone pressure was brilliant. The Habs could barely get a decent offensive zone entry on the PP.

Besides, it's sad to say, but Chicago's probably gonna destroy Philly so no Flyer will even get considered.

This is actually exactly what I think too.

Pronger & the other 3 of their top 4 are the only reason Leighton is playing as well as he is. You either haven't watched their games, or simply hate Pronger so much you refuse to give him credit. He is the reason this team wins, just as he was the reason the Oilers won.

Leighton is a great first save goalie, as all butterfly goalies seem to be nowadays, but without his stellar defense clearing rebounds, he's nothing. Go watch some of his Carolina games, go ask their fans. It also helps that he played against Montreal & Boston, two offenses that are less than stellar. I honestly believe they would have lost to New Jersey had Leighton been playing at that time, as Boucher was unreal in that series.

Richards could swoop in and steal it if he has a great finals, though.

I don't give a f*** about Chicago.

Would have to definitely say Toews for Chicago. And if Philly gets it, depending on the series he has, it could be Richards. The guy is an awesome leader and just all out great player. Stats haven't been too terrible either. Love the players who can get it done in both zones. Leighton has to get it done for Philly to have a shot so if he does that may just be irrelevant what I said up there about Richards rolleyes.gif

You don't think Pronger has a shot?

Much rather see Ville lift the Cup than any of those asswipes on Chicago.

I didn't think Pronger had a shot because he has not been as major of a standout as Richards to me. Granted he is the best defenseman and their team defense as a whole has been stellar at times, I just don't think he has been the most valuable individual player for his team.

If they won the cup today...

Chicago: Toews - runner up; Niemi

Philly: Richards - runner up; Pronger

Leighton has no business being mentioned here. He's got a nice story and his numbers are great, but he hasn't played enough games and the Flyers' team defense is responsible for a lot more than he is.