• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings_fanatic

I just re-met Nicklas Lidstrom tonight....

Rate this topic

Hey guys I don't often post on here (just like to read what you all have to say). Anyways I had the honor of re-meeting Nick Lidstrom today (i met him in Novemeber at the Joe also) but this time I actually talked to him for like 5 minutes. I live in LaSalle (across the border from Detroit) and he was watching his son play at the Volmer hockey arena. So me and a few friends went and sat behind him during the 2nd period and I shook his hand and said hello then did not say another word until the period ended. After that he turned around and said hi to all of us and signed our hats, jerseys and papers or w.e and we were able to talk to him for about 5 minutes and at the end I threw in that he should keep playing hockey and he just laughed and said we will see. Anyways I just want to say what a class act he is; he signed whatever we wanted and talked to us so politely and is just a great human being and its a huge honor to meet him again.

For what its worth, there is no more competative hockey going on for kids his sons' age anymore so it was very likely some sort of try-out for a AAA team which is good news for us because that would mean he is planning on staying in the Michigan area for at least another year. So, I thought I would say that and how awsome he is and I hope he comes back again for another run...

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I wouldn't expect anything less from Lidstrom. Time and time again he proves what a great hockey player he is and also what a great person he is. The Red Wings organization is greatly indebted to Lidstrom and it will be a sad day when he decides to hang up his skates.

That is SO COOL!!! Aww, he's such a great guy, and it's so nice to see polite people like you get a personal experience like that. So did he say, "We shall see," in more of a positive voice or an iffy one? Hehe, I'm just kidding, I know he wouldn't give anything away. Man I hope I can meet some (or even one) of the Wings someday...

That sounds awesome! I'm truly jealous. My life goal is to meet some red wing players =p (specifically Yzerman, lidstrom, Z and dats). but living in VA makes that almost impossible. I bet a lot of players wouldn't have turned around and talked and signed a bunch of stuff on their own. Lidstrom ftw.

He laughed and said, "We will see"?

Not exactly sure how I feel about that but right now that doesn't make me feel particularly good.

The only reason I can see him laughing about it is that everyone probably asks him about whether he's coming back for another year or not all of the time.

If you go everywhere and everyone asks you the same question over and over you would just laugh about it to be polite, too.

I really hope he comes back for one more season, but if he doesn't I really hope he sticks around Michigan for at least enough time to come out on the ice the first home game to hear the loudest crowd ever tell him thanks by cheering their hearts out. I'll be there if this happens and I can guarantee I will have no voice left for a week.

that is pretty sweet to chat with a wing... especially lidstrom! pure class and it doesn't surprise me at all. i figured he would be that awesome...i met bill laimbeer in the traverse city airport when i was eleven (i was decked out in pistons gear too)....the guy was a real treat ******* *******..told me he "didn't want to make a scene"... the place was totally empty.

Guest Crymson

As Bob Cole put it when Lidstrom hoisted the Cup, in '08, "I don't think there's a finer gentleman in this league than this captain for Detroit." The same could be said of Yzerman during his days as captain. We, the fans of this team, are truly blessed.

Edited by Crymson

i met bill laimbeer in the traverse city airport when i was eleven (i was decked out in pistons gear too)....the guy was a real treat ******* *******..told me he "didn't want to make a scene"... the place was totally empty.

Yep. He's always been like that. Even before he made a name for himself with the game of basketball.

That is SO COOL!!! Aww, he's such a great guy, and it's so nice to see polite people like you get a personal experience like that. So did he say, "We shall see," in more of a positive voice or an iffy one? Hehe, I'm just kidding, I know he wouldn't give anything away. Man I hope I can meet some (or even one) of the Wings someday...

I saw Darren McCarty at the army surplus store on Telegraph many many years ago. But me and my friends were all too fraidy to go talk to him :)

thats sooooo tight!!!!!!!!!!!! i live in indiana so i dont expect to run into any wings players but i did meet peyton manning and dwight freeney last week (they were golfing at the country club i belong to) so i know how exciting that is to run into such amazing people.

Agree with everything that's been said. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he truly is one if the nicest, modest, and overall humble person I've ever met. Very down to Earth and truly a great guy.

Speaking on the other end of the spectrum, do you know who's totally NOT a Nick Lidstrom?....Mike Modano. While the dude is truly an amazing athlete, his social skills leave a lot to be desired (ie he's a giant ******). Ever since I saw him literally tell a little girl who was simply seeking an autograph after a game "I'm not signing anything, get away from me", he's earned the right to be called the NHL's biggest *******. Don't take my word for it, there's countless other stories about his attitude out there as well. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Not exactly sure how I feel about that but right now that doesn't make me feel particularly good.

I'd laugh too if I got pressured from a group of kids about resigning a contract.

Really cool man, 100% jealous. Lidstrom seems like a great person in his interviews and his professionalism and sportsmanship on the ice. Lucky guy man, I hope he does come back one more year and takes the wings back to the finals one more time. Everyone should be healthy and hopefully there aren't any freak injuries like last year. Would be great to see him go out with the cup in his hand.

What else would he do? That's the only logical response.

As Bob Cole put it when Lidstrom hoisted the Cup, in '08, "I don't think there's a finer gentleman in this league than this captain for Detroit." The same could be said of Yzerman during his days as captain. We, the fans of this team, are truly blessed.

I don't think there is anyone better thank Lids to take over the captaincy from Stevie Y, even if we could have chosen any player in the league

I wish I had an excuse to go to junior hockey games around the Detroit area. I have two co-workers who's kids are involved with hockey, and they've met several Red Wings, including Lidstrom and Yzerman.

Where else are good spots for running into Wings players? Several people have said that they meet players at the Joe, is there a certain area to go where you can meet them?

Edited by DetroitFan81

In regards to where you can meet players at the Joe, usually season ticket holders have a chooice of 2 nights during the season (they put these nights aside for the ticket holders to meet the players) so you get to meet them and get autographs. That is how I originally met Captain Nick back in November, but the only downside is that there are so many people so the players really cannot talk to each person.

But, yes, I feel like a truly spoiled fan being able to actually be able to have a lengthy conversation with Nick; and it was so normal too (you would never know he was the best d-man of all time and Captain of the Red Wings because no one was around him). The key thing I kept in mind is that he is a person just like any of us so when we approached him I shook his hand then we all just sat down behind him and let him watch his son play ( I felt no desire to bug him until the period was over). However, he did turn around quickly to say what he was doing and pointed out who his son was to us and, wouldnt you know, his son wears number 5.

I think he laughed after I suggested to play another year because it was a group of kids who he could tell were honoured to be in his presence, try to kindly convince him to keep playing; most people would find that funny. As he said "We will see " after he laughed I shook his hand again before we left and said thank you very very much and he giggled again. The funniest thing though IMO was when we asked him who he thinks will win the Cup... the way he said the Hawks, but then proceeded to say "but I don't really want them to.."

All in all, I would rather re-meet Nick over and over than meet any other player becuase he is not only a great hockey player, but a great human being also. I hope any of you guys get an honor to meet Nick because he truly is nothing short of perfection :)

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I was at O'Tooles in Royal Oak and a lot of the team was there. They had their own roped off VIP section and when Nick came out, he walked past me and I told him to come back for one more year. He just smiled and laughed and kept on walking. I also got to shake hands with Darren Helm and Jimmy Howard. All of them were really cool.

My nephew is a '95. When he was 10 he scored on Lidstrom"s son, a goalie. Lidstrom sat very unassumingly, alone in the stands with the rest of us watching the game. My brother, my dad, my wife, and myself were all there. Then after the game Nick came over and congratulated him on a great shot and signed his jersey. All the way home in the back seat he kept mumbling "This is the best day of my life".

Nick Lidstrom is the genuine article. He is who you think he is, and who you hope he is.

My other buddy, the Bloomfiled Hills detective, has a kid that grew up playing Little Ceasar's with Dean Chelios. He would patrol by Cheli's Bloomfield Hills house to check on things for him, as the family would often be out of town at one of their other homes in Chicago or Malibu. Cheli even brought my buddie's kid to his hockey camp in Chicago for free and let he and his kid stay at his house there with Dean and the other kids and a bunch of the fathers. It was summer and everyone was playiing in the pool and eating Cheli's food, then CHeli would leave for a workout while everyone was having fun at his house.

Edited by T.Low

Have always wanted to meet Nick. We always knew that before Stevie retired that Nick would take over as Captain. And as the un-envyable task of taking the "C" after the greatest Captain there has ever been he has done nothing but become in my mind the 2nd greatest Captain we have ever had. I can only say, Nick we love ya, come back and hoist the Cup one more time thumbup.gif