• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Stanley Cup Finals vs Superbowl

Rate this topic

I was wondering if the NHL should do the same thing as the NFL does with the SB. Choose to have the final games of the Stanley Cup in the city that's been chosen. Some fans have never experienced the Cup finals or an excitement as far the finals series and it can just attract them back to hockey specially for some of those dead cities in the NHL.

Example* (Just an example): If this year the cup finals we're held in Phoenix, like that Phoenix would be rocking with visitors from each 2 other cities that are competing for the cup.

There would be a lot less traveling for the players, less fatigue. There wouldn't actually be a home field advantage, would be plain grounds.

Fans would still end up going to the games and it would have a mix of the two teams per game.

This is not what I'm suggesting I just thought about it and was wondering what would your opinions be guys.

The situation is so much different, though. The fact that the Super Bowl is one game is what makes the whole neutral site thing work. A potentially 7-game series would be entirely too difficult to be done in such a fashion.

The situation is so much different, though. The fact that the Super Bowl is one game is what makes the whole neutral site thing work. A potentially 7-game series would be entirely too difficult to be done in such a fashion.

Ya I think your right 7 games are too long for it to be like the SB.

A neutral site works and makes sense for a game like football. It is a single game and it would probably be unfair for one of those teams to be playing on home field. For hockey and other sports (see baseball, basketball, etc.), it doesn't make sense and that's why it is not done. In a 7 games series, you are able to split the games so each team has home ice for different games, no unfair advantage to on of the teams. The team with the better regular season record gets an extra home game of course, but that's fair.

yeah it wouldnt work for hockey because instead of one game its potentially seven and each team gets their fair share of home ice advantage except the better team of course gets to have game 7 at home, if it goes that far. so each team has games that their fans are able to attend easily, unlike the NFL, which is only one game, and by putting it in a specific place, its more likely to be fair for both teams.

Funny, football fans complain about the fact that teams work so hard all year, get home field advantage, then play at a neutral site for the championship. The grass isn't greener on the other side. If you want to cut down on travel time though, just change the format to what they do in MLB and NBA, have a 2-3-2 setup. That way the teams only travel twice in 7 games.

Funny, football fans complain about the fact that teams work so hard all year, get home field advantage, then play at a neutral site for the championship. The grass isn't greener on the other side. If you want to cut down on travel time though, just change the format to what they do in MLB and NBA, have a 2-3-2 setup. That way the teams only travel twice in 7 games.

The NHL already tried this and decided they didn't like it and I agree. If the underdog manages to split their first 2 away games, they then have the next 3 games at home with a chance to close it out without ever having to go back to the top seed's building.

The NHL already tried this and decided they didn't like it and I agree. If the underdog manages to split their first 2 away games, they then have the next 3 games at home with a chance to close it out without ever having to go back to the top seed's building.

Yeah, I do not understand the 2-3-2 concept at all. It isn't an advantage unless the series goes 6 games.

That would be really bad for fans of either team. A 7 game series can go one for 2 weeks, people would have to fly to some other city and potentially stay for quite a while to watch a whole series. Given the cost of travel, etc, it would probably be impossible to fill up an arena every game. Even people who don't watch sports watch the super bowl, there aren't many non-hockey fans that watch the SCF.

I wouldn't put it past Bettman to try and hold the Stanley cup finals in Nashville or something. That would be terrible.

It's all about going into the other team's building and facing the crowd and having your crowd back you up. The whole energy of the game would be gone if you did it in a neutral territory.

I was wondering if the NHL should do the same thing as the NFL does with the SB. Choose to have the final games of the Stanley Cup in the city that's been chosen. Some fans have never experienced the Cup finals or an excitement as far the finals series and it can just attract them back to hockey specially for some of those dead cities in the NHL.

Example* (Just an example): If this year the cup finals we're held in Phoenix, like that Phoenix would be rocking with visitors from each 2 other cities that are competing for the cup.

There would be a lot less traveling for the players, less fatigue. There wouldn't actually be a home field advantage, would be plain grounds.

Fans would still end up going to the games and it would have a mix of the two teams per game.

This is not what I'm suggesting I just thought about it and was wondering what would your opinions be guys.

NO.

Football fans are different than hockey fans.... This would never fly with anybody who isn't a nuts and bolts sorting down syndrome kid.

Screw that marketing scam. /end

Edited by Joseph Franks

This idea will only work in the NFL and never in any other professional league because it is one game versus a 7 game series. This would also make no sense for NBA, MLB,

It's nice in theory, but the only times we've really seen it worked or tried is in a single game elimination (i.e. Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four/Frozen Four, etc.).

While home ice can be overhyped/overrated at times yes, that's something you strive to play for in both the NBA and NHL to get to the playoffs IMO.

Yeah, I do not understand the 2-3-2 concept at all. It isn't an advantage unless the series goes 6 games.

But don't most series go 6 games? Even if the underdog splits the first two, the pressure is on them to win three straight against a higher ranked opponent to avoid going back on the road. Winning 3 straight is tough anywhere, I think.

That reminds me of these panzy announcers during the 06 WS between the Tigers and Cardinals. All they did was complain about the cold weather and suggested that the series be played in a warm weather neutral site, even though they would never dare do that if it were New York or Boston.

The question the morons failed to consider was, how many fans do you think are going to shell out top dollar to watch a possible 7 game series consisting of two teams they could care less about?

To answer your question, no, the NHL would be stupid for even seriously considering such a measure. It would be a no-win situation.