• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MannyK

Blackhawks wonder why San Jose Sharks logo

Rate this topic

The San Jose Sharks were reportedly just as confused by the Blackhawks logo' date=' failing to understand what a [b']somewhat racist representation [/b]of a Native American had to do with hockey

How is a picture of a native american in traditional garb "somewhat racist"?

they put hockey sticks in logos to remind the fans what sport they're watching

Har Har har.

You do know that the Sharks are the only MAJOR TEAM in San Jose right? Just making sure.

San Francisco- 49ers, Giants

Oakland- Warriors, A's, Raiders

San Jose- Sharks

The Bay area doesn't mean one city.

Their all one to two hours away from each other.

You know, to be honest, I love the Red Wings and all but just look at our logo ... what the hell is that?

A wheel and wings ... wheels for ground/cars ... wings for flying ...

Logos are logos ... sometimes, they don't make sense.

For some reason I really like the Blackhawks' logo. Out of all the jerseys, their primary logo and their shoulder logos have the best synergy, I would argue. And that will be the last nice thing I saw about them.

The worst logo is by far the Carolina one. Their third jersey should be their primary. WAY BETTER, even though that flag technically means "storm warning." You'd need two for it to mean hurricane.

51-82642-P.jpg

The best jersey ever is the third of Buffalo. I really love the design of that one, putting aside the sentimental attachment we have to the Winged-wheel. If I had money to burn, I'd get it just for fun.

51-82653-P.jpg

Also, you ever notice how Vancouver decided they'd like to steal Hartford's color scheme?

Edited by The Nephilim

How is a picture of a native american in traditional garb "somewhat racist"?

Apparently you'll have to ask the University of North Dakota that question...their sports teams, called the Fighting Sioux, have a logo that's very similar to the Blackhawks', and the school is going to change both the name and logo next year because they're supposedly "racist."

Here's the logo:

165px-UNDsiouxlogo.png

Yeah...don't ask me. I don't get it either.

Anyway, I think the Sharks' logo is pretty cheesy, but I'd vote for the Thrashers' as the worst. Lame animal, check. Lame animal with hockey stick, check. Lame animal with hockey stick that has nothing whatsoever to do with the name of the team, check.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

Har Har har.

You do know that the Sharks are the only MAJOR TEAM in San Jose right? Just making sure.

San Francisco- 49ers, Giants

Oakland- Warriors, A's, Raiders

San Jose- Sharks

The Bay area doesn't mean one city.

Their all one to two hours away from each other.

hey at least you can proudly say the raiders arn't from San Jose

Apparently you'll have to ask the University of North Dakota that question...their sports teams, called the Fighting Sioux, have a logo that's very similar to the Blackhawks', and the school is going to change both the name and logo next year because they're supposedly "racist."

Here's the logo:

165px-UNDsiouxlogo.png

Anyway, I think the Sharks' logo is pretty cheesy, but I'd vote for the Thrashers' as the worst. Lame animal, check. Lame animal with hockey stick, check. Lame animal with hockey stick that has nothing whatsoever to do with the name of the team, check.

I think the whole racist thing comes from comparing a fierce/fighting creature like a "shark" to a real-life culture of people who were misrepresented for a long time as being "wild" and "unruly" and a good mascot for "intimidating" the opposing team. For example, the entire "Sioux" culture probably has more to offer than a group of fighting people known as the "Fighting Sioux."

I don't think it's too big deal and I actually think the Chicago uniforms look awesome. But I think we can all agree that the Washington "Redskins" is a tad racist, no?

Here's the logo:

165px-UNDsiouxlogo.png

Chiming in from ND here. My bf, Godson, and one of my best friends are all Native. There is no consensus amongst any tribe around here, and most people are kind of torn.

The objections are:

-Using a race of people as a mascot, especially one which stereotypes them as violent people.

-Using, or more frequently, misusing what whites believe to be Indian traditions (but the whites have them totally screwed up) like fancy dances or war cries.

-Placing people (especially young people) in the uncomfortable position of being "mascots" because of their race (usually in the eyes of drunk idiots who are cheering for opposing teams).

Imagine being an Ojibwe and bringing your child to a game. You are just another family out for a good time, but nearby idiots see Native people and assume that just because you are there that you are Sioux and spend the game yelling "Sioux Suck" with the opposing crowd, but then harass you and your kid by continuing to tell you that you suck. Or imagine being Sioux and having to sit through people yelling "Sioux Suck".

It's the idiots that ruin it for the rest of us. If it was like the Steelers or Packers where the teams were named to honour the people who made the city the success that it is today, it would be fine. Unfortunately, it is used more like an animal. Go back to the photoshop wars from the Coyote series and imagine that instead of dead dogs there were dead people in Native garb.

Personally, I could go either way with it, but no matter what they have for a logo, the insensitive people should be taken out and flogged.

As far as logos, I think the Preds logo looks stupid, but at least they got a colour that doesn't look like poop.

What logo would you suggest for a team called the Sharks?

I dont have a problem with the shark, obviously. The colour should go (the worst shade of green lol), I would suspect some sort of blue(though thats been done) with black and grey. Also some intimidating silhouette of a shark, or even the Jaws they skate out of when dark in the arena would suffice(not unlike the cover of Mr. Benchley's famous book). To be honest alot of things would look better, the current logo just looks like a cartoon to me.

canucks-bwg-logo.jpg

But with a shark. And an SJ

Please no.

For some reason I really like the Blackhawks' logo. Out of all the jerseys, their primary logo and their shoulder logos have the best synergy, I would argue. And that will be the last nice thing I saw about them.

The worst logo is by far the Carolina one. Their third jersey should be their primary. WAY BETTER, even though that flag technically means "storm warning." You'd need two for it to mean hurricane.

51-82642-P.jpg

The best jersey ever is the third of Buffalo. I really love the design of that one, putting aside the sentimental attachment we have to the Winged-wheel. If I had money to burn, I'd get it just for fun.

51-82653-P.jpg

Also, you ever notice how Vancouver decided they'd like to steal Hartford's color scheme?

Buffalo's 3rd jersey design will be their primary next year.. Finally. Enough with the stylized buffalo slugs. Also, the color scheme that Vancouver employs now is from their original uni set, with the original logo on the shoulder. A better question is, why do they find it necessary to have their logo and their city name on their jersey? Who does that? Additionally, why wouldn't it at least say 'CANUCKS' when they're in Vancouver? Tradition dictates that it's city name on the road and team name at home.

I dont have a problem with the shark, obviously. The colour should go (the worst shade of green lol), I would suspect some sort of blue(though thats been done) with black and grey. Also some intimidating silhouette of a shark, or even the Jaws they skate out of when dark in the arena would suffice(not unlike the cover of Mr. Benchley's famous book). To be honest alot of things would look better, the current logo just looks like a cartoon to me.

The Sharks uniform is better looking now than it has even been in their entire existence. Their colors were teal/black/grey/white for a short time and it was horrible. Why every early-to-mid 90's team had to include teal in their uniforms is beyond me.

The Sharks uniform is better looking now than it has even been in their entire existence. Their colors were teal/black/grey/white for a short time and it was horrible. Why every early-to-mid 90's team had to include teal in their uniforms is beyond me.

I do think that there black jersey looks alot better, just hate the logo, thats what it is more about, not the colours as much. That Hurricanes jersey with the storm warning is SICK and they should use it all the time FO SHO

.....Also Toews is freakin funny, that was a great little rant. I like him lol

I do think that there black jersey looks alot better, just hate the logo, thats what it is more about, not the colours as much. That Hurricanes jersey with the storm warning is SICK and they should use it all the time FO SHO

You did get that it was from the Onion, right?

Yeah, the Onion is purely satire. Toews didn't say that.

I personally think that Carolina could use an entire overhaul on logo and jersey.

what the hell is it, anyway? a bird?

Edited by MannyK

As I've said before, the Sharks original jerseys are still my favorite of theirs. The orange and the stripes just look annoying to me.

There's plenty of dumb jerseys in hockey (hell I started a thread on that several months back), but the Sharks should be left out of these discussion imo.