• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bump

Red Wings Sign Brendan Smith

Rate this topic

Red Wings sign Brendan Smith, former top draft pick, to three-year entry-level contract

By Ansar Khan

May 27, 2010, 2:15PM

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Brendan Smith, their first-round pick in the 2007 NHL entry draft (27th overall), to a three-year entry-level contract.

Smith, a 21-year-old skilled, puck-moving defenseman, spent the last three seasons at Wisconsin. He was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in college hockey this year.

“Brendan improved tremendously in each of his three seasons at Wisconsin,’’ Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said in a statement. “He was a dominant player at the collegiate level, in particular at his position, and we feel he is ready to take the next step in his career at the professional level. We look forward to having him at training camp in Traverse City in September.’’

Smith is slated to play for the AHL-affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins next season.

Smith (6-foot-2, 190) led the nation in scoring among defensemen this past season, with 15 goals and 52 points. He was named to the All-WCHA First Team and was named WCHA defensive player of the year.

Smith became the first Badger defenseman to record 50 points in a season since 1989-90 and the first to post at least 10 power-play goals in a season since 1979-80. In three seasons at Wisconsin, Smith collected 87 points, including 26 goals.

I'm no Bucky fan, but I watched him play four times this year and I have to admit he's a natural at QBing the powerplay. A couple seasons in the AHL will hopefully polish up the rest of his game. Above all, I'm looking forward to following his progress with the Griffins this fall, instead of seeing him in a Wisconsin sweater again. ;)

I have insanely high expectations for this kid. I will never forget watching him absolutely dominate in that frozen four game against RIT. He had 5 assists, it was absolutely incredible. I am really excited to see how he does in Grand Rapids.

Guest mindfly

Apparently this kid used to think he was God's gift to hockey?

So you mean he's Dick Axelsson #2 ?

Watching him over his collegiate career, this has been my main concern. He needs to build up his defensive game, but even more than that he needs to build some character. I hope that jumping into the AHL and being under the watchful eye of Wings' management he'll stay humble.

Guest Lidstromboli

well he is

he's better than lidstrom at least

I think that DRW management need to speed up a bit prospects development process... If Brandan looks fine, insert him into the line-up. Put Tatar into too. What are we going to lose anyway?

This kid has serious talent and I feel comfortable saying he will be a top 4 guy for us some day. His offensive potential is sick, and his weak defense is said to be much better than it has been previous years. His production has been on a sharp increase and shouldnt slow down for a few years. Seriously, talk about a future PP quarterback.

Now time to get off topic. I say we will be seeing Lashoff on the Wings within the next few years. Lashoff is probably my favorite defensive prospect right now. He has stepped up his game every time he played for the Griffins and is a proven playoff performer. One guy you simply cant ignore anymore is Adam Almqvist. He is small weak and slow, but was a monster with HV71. This is definitely one of our famous late round gems, I think he might have a solid NHL career ahead of him.

Watching him over his collegiate career, this has been my main concern. He needs to build up his defensive game, but even more than that he needs to build some character. I hope that jumping into the AHL and being under the watchful eye of Wings' management he'll stay humble.

Him, Ferraro and Axelsson will be the 'hotshots' of the franchise players.

Naw but I think it's okay to be a little cocky every now and again. I have no idea how bad it is for him.

Him, Ferraro and Axelsson will be the 'hotshots' of the franchise players.

Naw but I think it's okay to be a little cocky every now and again. I have no idea how bad it is for him.

My brother has been to parties that Stamkos was at in Sarnia and said he was the cockiest guys he's met. Cocky isn't bad at all, cocky just got 51 goals this season.

This kid has serious talent and I feel comfortable saying he will be a top 4 guy for us some day. His offensive potential is sick, and his weak defense is said to be much better than it has been previous years. His production has been on a sharp increase and shouldnt slow down for a few years. Seriously, talk about a future PP quarterback.

Now time to get off topic. I say we will be seeing Lashoff on the Wings within the next few years. Lashoff is probably my favorite defensive prospect right now. He has stepped up his game every time he played for the Griffins and is a proven playoff performer. One guy you simply cant ignore anymore is Adam Almqvist. He is small weak and slow, but was a monster with HV71. This is definitely one of our famous late round gems, I think he might have a solid NHL career ahead of him.

Lashoff is the next Brad Stuart(kinda). He's big and hits hard but also has a bit of hands to him as well, I really think Lashoff is going to be good too.

Now if he added some fighting to his book of tricks then he would be an even better prospect :cool:

But seriously the guy can fight too he just doesn't do it much, maybe we'll see that change in GR

My brother has been to parties that Stamkos was at in Sarnia and said he was the cockiest guys he's met. Cocky isn't bad at all, cocky just got 51 goals this season.

Lashoff is the next Brad Stuart(kinda). He's big and hits hard but also has a bit of hands to him as well, I really think Lashoff is going to be good too.

Now if he added some fighting to his book of tricks then he would be an even better prospect :cool:

But seriously the guy can fight too he just doesn't do it much, maybe we'll see that change in GR

When it comes to fighting I think he's a guy who will only do it if absolutely necessary because he is a guy that coaches want on the ice and not in the box. That's what sucks about balancing that whole dimension. You want it to be a part of your game but you don't want to be taken out of the game. That's something we will definitely see Abdelkader struggle with this year.

Now time to get off topic. I say we will be seeing Lashoff on the Wings within the next few years. Lashoff is probably my favorite defensive prospect right now. He has stepped up his game every time he played for the Griffins and is a prover was a monster with HV71. This is definitely one of our famous late round gems, I think he might have a solid NHL career ahead of him.

You can say that again-- he was a beast in the playoffs for HV71. I can't wait to see how he does next season. It'd be nice to get him over to Traverse City to see what he can do with the other prospects and to get him some serious tutoring at the gym. The only thing holding him back from the AHL is his lack of muscle.

I feel pretty excited to see a lot of fresh new faces in GR and expect to see a more than fair amount of frustration at the same time as they struggle through growing pains.

McCollum

Pearce/Veteran UFA

Veteran UFA-Pyett

Smith-Lashoff

Ehrhardt/Piche/UFA-Kolosov

Veteran UFA-Veteran UFA-Mursak

Tatar-Andersson-Coetzee

Owens-Emmerton-Pare

Oulahen-Raedeke-Vigilante

When it comes to fighting I think he's a guy who will only do it if absolutely necessary because he is a guy that coaches want on the ice and not in the box. That's what sucks about balancing that whole dimension. You want it to be a part of your game but you don't want to be taken out of the game. That's something we will definitely see Abdelkader struggle with this year.

Yeah and its fine if a good player can fight well but barely ever does but the fact that he can if he wants to adds a whole new dimension to his game. He's went a few pretty tough guys this year in the OHL and done well. Its kinda like Chara, he's one tough SOB but hardly fights, just when he does watch out if youre on the other end.(not saying Lashoff will be that good obviously)

As for Abdelkader, I think we'll see him fight a lot this upcoming season since he'll be bottom 6 and Babcock wants him to fight. He'll for sure have that dimension of his game, especially while he's young and breaking into the league.