• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

NHL will announce Friday what has previously been reported: Was vs Pit @ Heinz Field Jan. 1 and Mtl vs. Cgy at McMahon Stadium in mid-Feb.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

#2 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

wow two of them kinda wrecks the excitement. The NHL is getting messed up
Posted Image

#3 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

wow two of them kinda wrecks the excitement. The NHL is getting messed up

They are one of those that never understood the notion of too much of a good thing. Like others, they are how much money can we squeeze out of this idea.

#4 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Leave it to Bettman to f*** up the only thing the NHL has going for itself these days

Glad the Wings got a piece of it while it was still a novelty. What a dumbass.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#5 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Just realized the road team from previous Winter Classics have all gone to the Cup finals and lost (we'll see about Philly)

Pens @ Sabres
Red Wings @ Blackhawks
Flyers @ Bruins

So that puts the Caps in the finals next year. Just messing around and some food for thought.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#6 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

the pens again? ugh... How about a team that hasn't played an outdoor game yet. bettman I hate you.
Posted Image

#7 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

Awesome, can't wait to watch this. Two great young teams with two generational talents.

Should be fun.

#8 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Montreal at Calgary? What the f***? Why wouldn't they make it Vancouver? This is retarded.

#9 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Just a lazy money grab.

Nothing more to take from this move.

Posted Image

#10 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Have already voiced my opinion on this... Epic fail Bettman. The Crosby overload is at its pinnacle and whoever states that this is a great decision is firmly plugged right up Crosby's ******* and is doing exactly what NBC and Bettman want. So keep it up sheep.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#11 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

TWO?

How retarded.

PENS?

How retarded. You can't really blame the NHL, but jesus christ.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

How about a third one in early April between Florida and Tampa at the Buccanneers stadium?

:thumbup:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

How about a third one in early April between Florida and Tampa at the Buccanneers stadium?

:thumbup:

As usual, the biggest reason for two is TV. NBC didn't think a Canadian team would carry in the US, and CBC didn't want only US teams for their broadcast.

#14 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

As usual, the biggest reason for two is TV. NBC didn't think a Canadian team would carry in the US, and CBC didn't want only US teams for their broadcast.

Point taken, and while I think there should only be one; and I think it would be better to have two teams that have never done it before...I'm still going to watch them both.

But still BOO on you Bettman.

I can't wait for him to lose money for the owners and them to kick him out so we can have someone in who actually gives a damn about the sport.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#15 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Pathetic.

And yes, I get "why" the two teams were chosen. I strongly disagree with the "why".

#16 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

I know if I played for the NHL, I would love a chance to play in this game. Having Pittsburgh play for the second time in four years really must piss off the other teams.

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

I see why the NHL felt the need to do two, and I see the logic behind the Pens choice.

That being said, why not just the Pens and Washington every year if it draws ratings? They've got to let other teams in on the action. I know a Nashville-Washington would be a snoozer, but how about New York Rangers vs. Washington? Big markets and exciting talent (on Washington's end anyway).
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#18 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

That must be the reason, and yet...I don't understand. TWO Winter Classics? That's...just...weird, man. Agree with everybody that one of the reasons it's so successful is because it's a novelty. So now we're going to have two. Well, actually, on second thought, that's just about what I would expect from the NHL.

I mean, I appreciate them trying to actually to do something nice for Canadian fans for a change, but talk about going about it the wrong way! And what's up with the teams, as somebody pointed out? Montreal at...Calgary?! Ooookay. This is getting to be comical, I swear...you don't have to worry about off-season entertainment; the NHL will always be there to come out with some completely off-the-wall announcement for you to ponder and mock.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#19 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Nothing surprises me anymore with Bettman. He's determined to destroy the league's fanbase in favor of that elusive "casual" hockey fan (that, for the most part, barely exists).

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#20 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

I don't have issue with the Penguins playing in this game again necessarily ... if the NHL wanted Detroit to play at Michigan Stadium or Ford Field on Jan. 1 in the next couple years, we'd all be thrilled.

I DO have a problem with the NHL going out of its way, yet again, to ram the Caps and Pens down everyone's throat. The league's actually got some momentum right now and is getting good TV ratings. This would be a perfect time to roll out two teams with good history and talent that people don't see a lot of: Kings at Colorado? Just one possibility that I think would've been fun.