• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Winter Classic set for 2011

Rate this topic

wow two of them kinda wrecks the excitement. The NHL is getting messed up

They are one of those that never understood the notion of too much of a good thing. Like others, they are how much money can we squeeze out of this idea.

Just realized the road team from previous Winter Classics have all gone to the Cup finals and lost (we'll see about Philly)

Pens @ Sabres

Red Wings @ Blackhawks

Flyers @ Bruins

So that puts the Caps in the finals next year. Just messing around and some food for thought.

Have already voiced my opinion on this... Epic fail Bettman. The Crosby overload is at its pinnacle and whoever states that this is a great decision is firmly plugged right up Crosby's ******* and is doing exactly what NBC and Bettman want. So keep it up sheep.

How about a third one in early April between Florida and Tampa at the Buccanneers stadium?

:thumbup:

As usual, the biggest reason for two is TV. NBC didn't think a Canadian team would carry in the US, and CBC didn't want only US teams for their broadcast.

As usual, the biggest reason for two is TV. NBC didn't think a Canadian team would carry in the US, and CBC didn't want only US teams for their broadcast.

Point taken, and while I think there should only be one; and I think it would be better to have two teams that have never done it before...I'm still going to watch them both.

But still BOO on you Bettman.

I can't wait for him to lose money for the owners and them to kick him out so we can have someone in who actually gives a damn about the sport.

I see why the NHL felt the need to do two, and I see the logic behind the Pens choice.

That being said, why not just the Pens and Washington every year if it draws ratings? They've got to let other teams in on the action. I know a Nashville-Washington would be a snoozer, but how about New York Rangers vs. Washington? Big markets and exciting talent (on Washington's end anyway).

That must be the reason, and yet...I don't understand. TWO Winter Classics? That's...just...weird, man. Agree with everybody that one of the reasons it's so successful is because it's a novelty. So now we're going to have two. Well, actually, on second thought, that's just about what I would expect from the NHL.

I mean, I appreciate them trying to actually to do something nice for Canadian fans for a change, but talk about going about it the wrong way! And what's up with the teams, as somebody pointed out? Montreal at...Calgary?! Ooookay. This is getting to be comical, I swear...you don't have to worry about off-season entertainment; the NHL will always be there to come out with some completely off-the-wall announcement for you to ponder and mock.

I don't have issue with the Penguins playing in this game again necessarily ... if the NHL wanted Detroit to play at Michigan Stadium or Ford Field on Jan. 1 in the next couple years, we'd all be thrilled.

I DO have a problem with the NHL going out of its way, yet again, to ram the Caps and Pens down everyone's throat. The league's actually got some momentum right now and is getting good TV ratings. This would be a perfect time to roll out two teams with good history and talent that people don't see a lot of: Kings at Colorado? Just one possibility that I think would've been fun.

You know what, I take back what I said. Someone just explained to me that technically the Canadian game would be a "Heritage Classic" game for Canadian teams only. I know it's just a minor change in the name and different set of teams, but speaking as a person who would like to see an Original Six Day, I guess I can't complain. Either one (Canada Day or Original 6 Day) would be pretty similar to a Winter Classic except for the teams involved, so if I'm for an O6 Day, I guess I can't be against a Canadian heritage game. I still think the choice of teams for the very first year is a little wonky, but whatever.

Gary Bettman is bar none, the stupidest league commissioner in North American professional sports. He makes Bud Selig look like Kennesaw Mountain Landis. It takes a lot to make Bud Lite look competent, sane and intelligent in comparison but boy is Gary working hard to make that happen.

Nothing surprises me anymore with Bettman. He's determined to destroy the league's fanbase in favor of that elusive "casual" hockey fan (that, for the most part, barely exists).

Yeah, that fan base is getting destroyed. All those TV ratings that are going through the roof the last couple years must be killing the league.