#1 Bump

Bump

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

Red Wings' arena dilemma will eventually occupy a lot of Tom Wilson's time

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Nothing has been announced yet, but pretty soon the Red Wings will sign an agreement to play at Joe Louis Arena next season. New Olympia Entertainment executive Tom Wilson said this week that a new lease "should happen," echoing the recent words of his boss, Mike Ilitch, on WXYT-FM (97.1).

Wilson would not get into details, but it is likely that the team will sign a multi-year agreement with the city, because nobody wants to go through this again next year. And right now, the Red Wings have no other options.

http://www.freep.com...orking-together

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Seems as though unless the Ilitch's want to pay for a new arena all by themselves - they're between a rock, and a hard spot (really no surprise there considering the economic woes the city of Detroit is in).

Looks like it'll be the Joe for another 4, or more years.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Seems as though unless the Ilitch's want to pay for a new arena all by themselves - they're between a rock, and a hard spot (really no surprise there considering the economic woes the city of Detroit is in).

Looks like it'll be the Joe for another 4, or more years.

I completely understand the situation, but the Joe has got to go... it is easily one of the most dilapidated and over-crammed venues in professional sports - It was built to hold WAY less people and the bathrooms, concessions, etc can't handle the load, not to mention the seats are uncomfortable, the "luxury" boxes are above the nose bleed section and it's in a pretty crap area in the city (not necessarily crime, but location in relation to local bars, etc)

I love tradition and don't want a corporate name either, but if it means getting them in a new venue, team up with a major corporation and give them naming rights for a chunk of change to build it...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

ive been to alot of different NHL arenas over the years and im not just saying this because im a Wings fan, but i love the Joe defintly the top in my books it has that old feel to it, where as soon as your even outside the Joe you feel like your at a hockey game not like some of the newer ones. the only thing that i dont like about the Joe are the seats they are so uncomfortable. If the put in new seats and maybe a couple other little things i would be happy to keep going to the Joe. plus where ever we end up going if we ever do leave we have to take our boards with us lol thats what the Joe is known for and is one of our advantages.

#5 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

I love the feel of the Joe. It's small enough that practically every seat is a good seat. It has that old school feel to it, and like the above poster said, the moment you start climbing those steps you feel like you're at a hockey game. The biggest problem I have is the bathroom situation. You pretty much have to leave to go 5 minutes before the end of a period or else you'll be waiting 20 minutes in line.

I do wish there were more bars and restaurants right there that you could walk to right after a game. The Death Ride to Greektown on the Old Shillelagh bus is a nice compromise though, and it never gets old :banana:

#6 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

and the bathrooms can't handle the load,

Posted Image haha too funny, must be something in the pizza eh

#7 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image haha too funny, must be something in the pizza eh

the pun wasn't actually intended, but actually.... haha

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#8 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

I have no problem with the Joe. I'm fine with it for now.

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

A couple folks have mentioned they like the Joe due to its old school charm. Unfortunately all I see when I go there is "old".

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

A couple folks have mentioned they like the Joe due to its old school charm. Unfortunately all I see when I go there is "old".

So historic venues such as Fenway and Wrigley Field should be shut down as well too?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#11 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

So historic venues such as Fenway and Wrigley Field should be shut down as well too?

Old doesn't translate to historic you know...

#12 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Joe Louis Arena is uncomfortable, cramped, falling apart, lacks sufficient bathroom numbers (and the bathrooms they do have are disgusting and small), and when I walk into the Joe I feel like I'm walking into a concrete sarcophagus, not a historic arena. The Joe hardly has the charm that Fenway or Wrigley have. Implying otherwise is a bit laughable.
Even though I'm a fan of the Wings I can't pretend that JLA is some wonderful historic landmark that needs to be preserved.

Edited by Echolalia, 28 May 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#13 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hopefully the Red Wings will still be at the Joe when I make my first visit to Detroit. I've been planning a trip for over a year now, all that's missing is the ever elusive cash...

#14 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

joe louis was finished in 79

60+ years after those venues were

Posted Image

#15 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

i dont know all the numbers involved but r u trying to tell me mr. I, cant spring the cash for a new arena???

sig by saran,Thanks

#16 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Joe Louis Arena is uncomfortable, cramped, falling apart, lacks sufficient bathroom numbers (and the bathrooms they do have are disgusting and small), and when I walk into the Joe I feel like I'm walking into a concrete sarcophagus, not a historic arena. The Joe hardly has the charm that Fenway or Wrigley have. Implying otherwise is a bit laughable.
Even though I'm a fan of the Wings I can't pretend that JLA is some wonderful historic landmark that needs to be preserved.

Then don't go. More room for us. :P
All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#17 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Eh, I'm just hoping Mr. I doesn't have to waste too much money renovating the JLA if it's going to be scrapped in a few years.. Kind of unrelated, but I was hoping the Joe closing would mean expansion for Cobo Hall to help Detroit retain the auto show. Does anyone know if closing the Joe would help that issue?
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#18 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

I have no problem with the Joe. I'm fine with it for now.

I agree. While the Joe isn't a great arena (anymore), I don't see why it can't suffice until a new arena can be financed and built. It's not that bad...

#19 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Then don't go. More room for us. :P

Don't worry, my poor post-college status keeps me from seeing more than one nosebleed seat in my pocket per year :)

Eh, I'm just hoping Mr. I doesn't have to waste too much money renovating the JLA if it's going to be scrapped in a few years.. Kind of unrelated, but I was hoping the Joe closing would mean expansion for Cobo Hall to help Detroit retain the auto show. Does anyone know if closing the Joe would help that issue?

Usually when talks of a new ice arena pop up, talks of expanding Cobo Hall follow shortly after. I imagine somebody somewhere wants to draw up blueprints and find funding for it, but the ball's in Illitch's court.

Edited by Echolalia, 28 May 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#20 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

The Joe works for now. The stale beer of the early 80's when they were the Detoilet Dead Things still lingers and the floors are stickier than a XXX theater (so I've been told Posted Image ) but I love that grey square-shaped mess next to the river. Its somewhat scenic during the playoff months and it will do the job for the next 4 or so years. Too many memories at that disgrace to just let it go. The atmosphere is pure hockey.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.