• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TeeMan

Second outdoor game in Calgary

Rate this topic

I just heard that Calgary will be getting the first, second outdoor game next season.

But I was wondering who will they be playing Calgary? If it's the Wings. I'll be going for sure. :cool:

Well Montreal did do well in the playoffs and have a rabid fan base. If Toronto wasn't the worst team in the league I could see them getting there instead though.

I don't think it's too bad, I guess I'd prefer to see Vancouver in there though but we'll see next year.

It will be a Canadian team. I'm trying to find the link, but I can't seem to have any luck right now, but about two months or so ago they said that there may be a second out door game starting this season coming up, which will be for Canadian teams.

Well thats 2 for Montreal and 2 for the Pens so 2012 the Wings should be due to host one. The leafs should be good enough by then they can play at the big house and FILL IT.

Well thats 2 for Montreal and 2 for the Pens so 2012 the Wings should be due to host one. The leafs should be good enough by then they can play at the big house and FILL IT.

You won't see a US team playing a Canadian team. NBC doesn't think a Canadian team can carry in the US, and CBC wants Canadian teams for their side. You may see each Canadian team get a bunch of these for the next few years, because they are playing theirs on Hockey Day in Canada.

Well Montreal did do well in the playoffs and have a rabid fan base. If Toronto wasn't the worst team in the league I could see them getting there instead though.

I don't think it's too bad, I guess I'd prefer to see Vancouver in there though but we'll see next year.

Leafs want their own game, but BMO Field isn't big enough.

They would probably fill it now as a terrible team.

Edited by MacK_Attack

As already noted, it's Montreal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322828

From TSN :

While it is not official, Bettman mentioned that he expects this game to be the second outdoor game in Canada after the 2003 Heritage Classic between the Habs and Edmonton Oilers.

I suposose this is so he can call another big press conference for that announcement. Does he know that Calgary and Chinooks go together like...?

If Canadians love hockey so much, why aren't they willing to watch two American based teams playing in the Winter Classic?

Why can't they realize that most NHL teams are based in the US and that the NHL doesn't want two Canadian teams playing each other, because that would ruin TV ratings in America.

If Canadians love hockey so much, why aren't they willing to watch two American based teams playing in the Winter Classic?

Why can't they realize that most NHL teams are based in the US and that the NHL doesn't want two Canadian teams playing each other, because that would ruin TV ratings in America.

I doubt its a matter of whether the Canadians wanna watch two American teams.This decision is ALL about $$$$ the NHL figures if there's two Winter Classics,one in Canada and one in the US,that's twice the revenue.

That's to bad. I guess the Habs get first dibs on outdoor games. Does Bettman know there is other teams in the league?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, since Pittsburgh is playing the Caps in the second outdoor game on 1/1/11 (<-- hey, lookie that!). Yes, I know the other game they played was not in Pburgh (was in Buffalo), but still...it's their second Winter Classic in like, three years. :angry:

I was kind of wondering the same thing, since Pittsburgh is playing the Caps in the second outdoor game on 1/1/11 (<-- hey, lookie that!). Yes, I know the other game they played was not in Pburgh (was in Buffalo), but still...it's their second Winter Classic in like, three years. :angry:

As stated before it's all about the $$$$. Pittsburgh and Washington have the two fastest growing "New" fan bases out there right now. Their merchandise sales are sky rocketing, and when you're looking at Revenue the long term numbers involve getting new fair weather fans....and making them stay fans for the long haul. A team like Detroit has an already established fanbase, so it's not going to fluctuate up or down too much regardless. No point in catering to Detroit when there's hotter markets out there. Teams like say....the Wild....well nobody cares less....so you end up with three types of teams.

1) Those who have fan bases that won't change too much (Detroit, Toronto, etc)

2) Those who have little fan base...and simply aren't worth making a big ticket out of (Minn, Atlanta, etc)

3) Those with fresh new up and coming fan bases, willing to spend a ton of money to support their newfound passion. (pittsburgh, Washington)

I Remember in 97-98....every single car in Detroit had a redwings flag (or 4) out the window. If you went to the mall 1/3rd of the shirts people were wearing were red and white, or a full out jersey. Hell, even I Had Detroit bumper stickers on my car, owned 3-4 Jersey's, and even a Redwings coffee mug. Back then 99% of us were just becoming Redwings fans because our team was doing well. Three finals appearances in a row, a record breaking 96 season....most of us were the lame fans that we now see springing up all over Pittsburgh and Washington. But we made the league a lot of money ;-p And while the fan craze surged during those years.....many of us remained fans over the long haul....and the 'Hockey' atmosphere that has been created in Michigan attracts new hockey fans with every generation. That's the NHL's goal with these up and coming teams right now.....to build a fanbase that will be self sufficient ten years from now, because god knows if they don't nurse the hell out of Washington and Pittsburgh.....most of their fans won't last through a bad year.

Remember....the Caps became ultra popular in 98 as well, right up until Detroit swept them out of the finals. Suddenly....a bad year for them the following year...and poof, Caps fell off the planet for fan base.

To get fans, you have to win. To keep a fan base....you have to take those fair weather fans, and make them into real hockey fans...and that takes years to accomplish. In Detroit we lucked out with a good team for about 20 years straight now, but I doubt we'll see Pittsburgh and Washington making the playoffs for the next 20 years, so from a marketing standpoint pitting Ovechkin against Crosby in a highly publicized game is kinda genius.....even if it is a little bit ***.

Side thought: How funny would it be if both of them were injured for the Winter Classic, lol. What a kick in the balls that would be to Bettman.

Edited by Joseph Franks

They are, and the ratings prove it.

But it's NBC that wants no part of Canadian teams, meaning they would never get a spot in the Winter Classic.

Three finals appearances in a row

Um, the last time we made 3 straight finals appearances was 1954, 55, and 56. Most of us weren't even alive, let alone wearing jerseys.

Edited by thedisappearer

Um, the last time we made 3 straight finals appearances was 1954, 55, and 56. Most of us weren't even alive, let alone wearing jerseys.

Oh my bad..was a little drunk.

95 finals, lost to Jersey. 96 got knocked out by Avs. I always forget that year ;)

Was someone from the NHL reading the LGW forums last week? lol

I like the idea, though I would rather see Calgary play Edmonton. Oilers, Flames games are always a blast to watch, even when one or both of them suck.

As stated before it's all about the $$$$. Pittsburgh and Washington have the two fastest growing "New" fan bases out there right now. Their merchandise sales are sky rocketing, and when you're looking at Revenue the long term numbers involve getting new fair weather fans....and making them stay fans for the long haul. A team like Detroit has an already established fanbase, so it's not going to fluctuate up or down too much regardless. No point in catering to Detroit when there's hotter markets out there. Teams like say....the Wild....well nobody cares less....so you end up with three types of teams.

1) Those who have fan bases that won't change too much (Detroit, Toronto, etc)

2) Those who have little fan base...and simply aren't worth making a big ticket out of (Minn, Atlanta, etc)

3) Those with fresh new up and coming fan bases, willing to spend a ton of money to support their newfound passion. (pittsburgh, Washington)

I Remember in 97-98....every single car in Detroit had a redwings flag (or 4) out the window. If you went to the mall 1/3rd of the shirts people were wearing were red and white, or a full out jersey. Hell, even I Had Detroit bumper stickers on my car, owned 3-4 Jersey's, and even a Redwings coffee mug. Back then 99% of us were just becoming Redwings fans because our team was doing well. Three finals appearances in a row, a record breaking 96 season....most of us were the lame fans that we now see springing up all over Pittsburgh and Washington. But we made the league a lot of money ;-p And while the fan craze surged during those years.....many of us remained fans over the long haul....and the 'Hockey' atmosphere that has been created in Michigan attracts new hockey fans with every generation. That's the NHL's goal with these up and coming teams right now.....to build a fanbase that will be self sufficient ten years from now, because god knows if they don't nurse the hell out of Washington and Pittsburgh.....most of their fans won't last through a bad year.

Remember....the Caps became ultra popular in 98 as well, right up until Detroit swept them out of the finals. Suddenly....a bad year for them the following year...and poof, Caps fell off the planet for fan base.

To get fans, you have to win. To keep a fan base....you have to take those fair weather fans, and make them into real hockey fans...and that takes years to accomplish. In Detroit we lucked out with a good team for about 20 years straight now, but I doubt we'll see Pittsburgh and Washington making the playoffs for the next 20 years, so from a marketing standpoint pitting Ovechkin against Crosby in a highly publicized game is kinda genius.....even if it is a little bit ***.

Side thought: How funny would it be if both of them were injured for the Winter Classic, lol. What a kick in the balls that would be to Bettman.

That is a very good and accurate description of hockey fans in general. When compared to Canadian markets, all US fan bases are "fair-weather fans". In the 70s, the Wings could not give away seats to the ailing Olympia and shiny new Joe. We are seeing the same thing happening in Chicago. For years, they could not care less, and now they are draping Micheal Jordan in Blackhawks jerseys.

In Canadian markets, their team can suck to the high heavens and yet they still can manage to fill their home arenas at or near capacity.

They are, and the ratings prove it.

But it's NBC that wants no part of Canadian teams, meaning they would never get a spot in the Winter Classic.

I think, to an extent, NBC underestimates the number of Canadian fans down here in the states, particularly during the winter months.

It reminds me of when I went to a Florida Panthers game against the Montreal Canadiens. To our surprise, it was standing room only and a home game for the Canadiens. With that said, one can only imagine how many Toronto fans there are down here.

Unfortunately for Canadians, Toronto, or Montreal(questionable) vs an original 6 rival would be the only logical choice for a Canadian team in the WC, from a US ratings standpoint.

From TSN :

Steve Staios will once again represent the home team when the NHL's outdoor Heritage Classic returns to Alberta, only this time the former Edmonton defenceman will be wearing the logo of the rival Calgary Flames.

Staios will suit up for the Flames against the Montreal Canadiens Feb. 20 at McMahon Stadium in the first NHL outdoor game to be played in Canada in seven seasons. Staios was also a part of the NHL's first regular-season outdoor game ever, when the Oilers lost 4-3 to the Canadiens on Nov. 22, 2003.

Calgary Herald .

Edited by cusimano_brothers