• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Reds4Life

Cap could go up by 2 million

Rate this topic

I don't know but it's not out of question... he's the captain of the only team in the nhl he ever played for, wings are in a not too comfortable cap situation, he's 40 years old, if he re-signs it will be for one last year, as competative as he is he would want to win one last time, therefore signing ataround 4M and helping ken holland put an even better team on the ice is not "dreaming"

Btw...some sources have said he will announce his descision within a week from now... so *fingers crossed*

See those are good reasons.

With the Cap you cant be giving guys 1yr top dollar anymore especially in what would be probably his last year Holland IMO should offer him the most he can but with money left over to spend so like 5 mill for Lids and the 2.5 go out and bring in someone else to help. I really hope Lids does take like 4-5.5 mill just to shut everyone up on here saying he wont take less then 6, if he doesnt take less then 6 ill gladly appologize to all that i have disagreed with.

Yes, because Yzerman did not make A LOT of money when he was a 3rd liner at best. :rolleyes:

But since there was no cap, it was no problem of course (except for maybe Illitch :D). Lidstrom can easily command 6 or more million, it would still be a fair price. I think NHL PA would step in if he wanted to take 2 or so million a year.

The only year you could say Stevie was 'a third liner at best' was his last, when he made $1.25.

And the PA might whine about it, but there's nothing they could do. Nick taking 2 million wouldn't violate any rules.

Guest screwdahawks

:idea: :idea:I propose that he sign for 4.5M with 2M bonus if they get to the finals, and on the side Mr I can hire him a Master Chef for his family's use for ? years.

Edited by screwdahawks

Bettman can thank the Canadian dollar for that.

Yes indeed! From Niagara Falls Review :

* There was a 4% rise in league revenues, thanks in part to the strength of the Canadian dollar. If the NHLPA opts to exercise its escalator clause which boosts the cap by 5%, the combination of the two could see the cap lifted by about $2 million. The cap this year was $56.8 million.

I'm surprised that people think Lidstrom would take less then 5 million. There is NO way that happens. I think he will sign for 6-6.5 and that's a discount.

The team is going to be the exact same next year. The only difference is +Hudler and -Williams.

Big changes will come in 2011-2012...big changes.

:idea: :idea:I propose that he sign for 4.5M with 2M bonus if they get to the finals, and on the side Mr I can hire him a Master Chef for his family's use for ? years.

It's called circumventing the Cap.

If that was possible, don't you think Emma Soon-To-Be-Zetterberg would be his first choice for a receptionist? We would have had Hank at a $1.5 cap hit.

Guest mindfly

I'm surprised that people think Lidstrom would take less then 5 million. There is NO way that happens. I think he will sign for 6-6.5 and that's a discount.

The team is going to be the exact same next year. The only difference is +Hudler and -Williams.

Big changes will come in 2011-2012...big changes.

Hurray for the 2010-2011 2nd round exit :thumbdown:

Anyways did anyone do the math if, say, the cap went up 2million, lidstrom signed a 5M contract, goodbye to bertuzzi, williams, hudler back on board, holmstrom back with similar or cheaper contract, re-sign all RFA except one (goodbye eaves/miller/ritola).. how much room are we talking about?

Edited by mindfly

Anyways did anyone do the math if, say, the cap went up 2million, lidstrom signed a 5M contract, goodbye to bertuzzi, williams, hudler back on board, holmstrom back with similar or cheaper contract, re-sign all RFA except one (goodbye eaves/miller/ritola).. how much room are we talking about?

Somewhere around 3-4m most likely.

Hurray for the 2010-2011 2nd round exit :thumbdown:

I doubt Eaves is gone

All i know is if Lids signs for anything more then 5.5 i dont see the Wings going that far into the playoffs if they actually make it. The team we had this year was one of the worst in a long time, we need way more scoring depth and if Lids signs that high i dont see any more help coming in.

Not going to lie if Lids take 6mill or more knowing the Wings are tight against the cap im going to lose a little respect for the guy, and it will show why YZERMAN is the one and only TRUE captain of the Wings.

Like the year Stevie made 8.5 Million and played 16 games due to his osteotomy surgery?

The year Yzerman took his "big" paycut, he was basically a third liner with one good leg. And it was the first season after the lockout. Market values were down because all GM's were clamping down on salaries since they had broken the player's union.

He didn't take millions less than his market value as a top player in the game, like people are expecting Lidstrom to.

To be clear, I'm not knocking Stevie. He was paid well in his career and should've been. But to say he took some huge discount for the good of the team in his final season overlooks a lot of facts.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Like the year Stevie made 8.5 Million and played 16 games due to his osteotomy surgery?

The year Yzerman took his "big" paycut, he was basically a third liner with one good leg. And it was the first season after the lockout. Market values were down because all GM's were clamping down on salaries since they had broken the player's union.

He didn't take millions less than his market value as a top player in the game, like people are expecting Lidstrom to.

To be clear, I'm not knocking Stevie. He was paid well in his career and should've been. But to say he took some huge discount for the good of the team in his final season overlooks a lot of facts.

He took less than Draper and Maltby made that year. Really, I think it's more about Yzerman taking much less than he likely could have gotten, than being that far under what he deserved. He was almost certainly in the same situation as Nick, in that he probably could have written his own check more or less. If he had asked for 4 million, I doubt anyone would have said no.

Nick has made almost $90 million in his career. Money shouldn't be a factor now. He also should know that the organization respects him enough to basically give him whatever he wants. In light of that, if he takes over $5m I would be a little disappointed in him.

Lidstrom isn't really worth as much anymore as people are making it seem like to be honest. 5 millionish is probably market value. Yeah Rafalski makes more but just cause one guy is over paid doesn't mean they all should. That Phoenix series really showed LIdstrom's age is catching up with him.

Lidstrom isn't really worth as much anymore as people are making it seem like to be honest. 5 millionish is probably market value. Yeah Rafalski makes more but just cause one guy is over paid doesn't mean they all should. That Phoenix series really showed LIdstrom's age is catching up with him.

Yeah, Lidstrom's value is 5 million .. just like Volchenkov's (he's gonna get it)?

If you actually looked at his defensive numbers (goals against, quality of opposition etc.) you would never said such BS. He is slower, makes more mistakes and despite that he is still BY FAR the best defenseman Wings have. :rolleyes:

Edited by Reds4Life