• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

:lol: Marleau and Plecky would laugh at those offers. And Lidstrom isn't going to take cut down to sub 4 million dollars.

How do you KNOW? are you his best buddy?

#42 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Great argument. Could just as well turn that same argument against you - how do you KNOW that he will take pay-cut that size?

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Maybe Lids talks in his sleep.

#44 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Great argument. Could just as well turn that same argument against you - how do you KNOW that he will take pay-cut that size?

I don't know but it's not out of question... he's the captain of the only team in the nhl he ever played for, wings are in a not too comfortable cap situation, he's 40 years old, if he re-signs it will be for one last year, as competative as he is he would want to win one last time, therefore signing ataround 4M and helping ken holland put an even better team on the ice is not "dreaming"

Btw...some sources have said he will announce his descision within a week from now... so *fingers crossed*

Edited by mindfly, 30 May 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#45 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

:lol: Marleau and Plecky would laugh at those offers. And Lidstrom isn't going to take cut down to sub 4 million dollars.

I can dream, right?

But I think the Lidstom number is realistic. Hasn't Lidstrom said that he'd take the league minimum if needed? He's probably one of the classiest players in the league, if not THE classiest, and he's made an enormous amount of money of his years here. The team's success hinges on how much he makes and it's really not crazy to think he'll take a huge pay cut.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#46 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

what about this: Sign Selanne(1.750) for one last shot at another cup with a slight discount. and Kurtis Foster(.600) to replace lilja's shot blocking and penalty killing

Mule Pav Selanne
Flip Z Cleary
Huds Helm Bert
Homer Abby Miller
Draper
Eaves

Lids Raffi
Stu Kronner
E Foster
Kindl

Howie
Ozzie

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
* Tomas Holmstrom ($2.000m) / * TEEMU SELANNE ($1.750m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.250m) / * Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Drew Miller ($0.850m)
* Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.750m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
* KURTIS FOSTER ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP: $58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.563m; CAP ROOM: $0.237m BONUSES: $0.000m

#47 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

I still can't believe people say Stuart isn't worth his contract.

Rafalski hell yes, Stuart not at all.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#48 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Not going to lie if Lids take 6mill or more knowing the Wings are tight against the cap im going to lose a little respect for the guy, and it will show why YZERMAN is the one and only TRUE captain of the Wings.

Pros and Cons of taking a big paycut

Pros
His rep with fans will sky rocket.
Will show the team that he is willing to do whatever to win.
A HUGE chance at adding another ring.

Cons
Lose a few million dollars.

Now if i was Lids i can honeslty say i would take a big cut to get that last ring. I just hate when people say he wont make less then Rafalski, well thats managements fault for giving Rafalski that kinda cheese. Lids just seems like the type of guy that would take the cut to me and im sure Kenny is going to tell him some of the Pros i said when they talk i honestly thing Lids is going to sign a 1yr 4-5.5 mill. not sure how bonuses work in the NHL but if its like the NFL id give Lids 1yr 4mill and if they make it back to the Cup 2mill bonus or something

#49 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Not going to lie if Lids take 6mill or more knowing the Wings are tight against the cap im going to lose a little respect for the guy, and it will show why YZERMAN is the one and only TRUE captain of the Wings.

Yes, because Yzerman did not make A LOT of money when he was a 3rd liner at best. :rolleyes:
But since there was no cap, it was no problem of course (except for maybe Illitch :D). Lidstrom can easily command 6 or more million, it would still be a fair price. I think NHL PA would step in if he wanted to take 2 or so million a year.

Edited by Reds4Life, 30 May 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#50 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

Its not that i think Lids will be willing to take less than 5 million; I just think Holland will not offer him anything less than that, out of respect for him.

#51 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

Its not that i think Lids will be willing to take less than 5 million; I just think Holland will not offer him anything less than that, out of respect for him.

If that will be the case...Ken Holland isn't doing his job imo, his main objective should be to sign his players to the best and most economic deals, period.

#52 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

<_<
*this space for rent*

#53 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

<_<

Sounds like something Pierre McGuire would say.

#54 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

I don't know but it's not out of question... he's the captain of the only team in the nhl he ever played for, wings are in a not too comfortable cap situation, he's 40 years old, if he re-signs it will be for one last year, as competative as he is he would want to win one last time, therefore signing ataround 4M and helping ken holland put an even better team on the ice is not "dreaming"

Btw...some sources have said he will announce his descision within a week from now... so *fingers crossed*

See those are good reasons.

#55 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

With the Cap you cant be giving guys 1yr top dollar anymore especially in what would be probably his last year Holland IMO should offer him the most he can but with money left over to spend so like 5 mill for Lids and the 2.5 go out and bring in someone else to help. I really hope Lids does take like 4-5.5 mill just to shut everyone up on here saying he wont take less then 6, if he doesnt take less then 6 ill gladly appologize to all that i have disagreed with.

#56 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Yes, because Yzerman did not make A LOT of money when he was a 3rd liner at best. :rolleyes:
But since there was no cap, it was no problem of course (except for maybe Illitch :D). Lidstrom can easily command 6 or more million, it would still be a fair price. I think NHL PA would step in if he wanted to take 2 or so million a year.

The only year you could say Stevie was 'a third liner at best' was his last, when he made $1.25.

And the PA might whine about it, but there's nothing they could do. Nick taking 2 million wouldn't violate any rules.

#57 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

:idea: :idea:I propose that he sign for 4.5M with 2M bonus if they get to the finals, and on the side Mr I can hire him a Master Chef for his family's use for ? years.

Edited by screwdahawks, 31 May 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Bettman can thank the Canadian dollar for that.

Yes indeed! From Niagara Falls Review :

* There was a 4% rise in league revenues, thanks in part to the strength of the Canadian dollar. If the NHLPA opts to exercise its escalator clause which boosts the cap by 5%, the combination of the two could see the cap lifted by about $2 million. The cap this year was $56.8 million.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#59 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

I'm surprised that people think Lidstrom would take less then 5 million. There is NO way that happens. I think he will sign for 6-6.5 and that's a discount.

The team is going to be the exact same next year. The only difference is +Hudler and -Williams.

Big changes will come in 2011-2012...big changes.

#60 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

:idea: :idea:I propose that he sign for 4.5M with 2M bonus if they get to the finals, and on the side Mr I can hire him a Master Chef for his family's use for ? years.

It's called circumventing the Cap.
If that was possible, don't you think Emma Soon-To-Be-Zetterberg would be his first choice for a receptionist? We would have had Hank at a $1.5 cap hit.