• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

First of all, I don't think I have even been in this part of lgw ever. And second of all, my knowledge of video games is slim to none.

But my problem is, my kids have been wanting an xbox. And I am going to try and buy one for Christmas this year for them. I look around on ebay, target.com, and so on. But there seems to be so many options to get. Best Buy had a black one and a white one. I absolutely have no idea what I am looking at.

I want a new one, probably the latest version I am guessing, with whatever controllers and so on.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#2 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:34 AM

First of all, I don't think I have even been in this part of lgw ever. And second of all, my knowledge of video games is slim to none.

But my problem is, my kids have been wanting an xbox. And I am going to try and buy one for Christmas this year for them. I look around on ebay, target.com, and so on. But there seems to be so many options to get. Best Buy had a black one and a white one. I absolutely have no idea what I am looking at.

I want a new one, probably the latest version I am guessing, with whatever controllers and so on.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Xbox.com has a pretty good side-by-side comparison of the two available Xbox models, so it should give you a good idea as to where to start.

The two versions you've seen are the Xbox 360 Arcade, and the Xbox 360 Elite. The Arcade console is the White one, and the Elite is the matte Black.

Graphically, they'll both look exactly the same. There is only one difference hardware wise between the two (memory, which I'll get to in a second), so you won't notice one difference between the two consoles. So don't worry about buying one over the other in fear of it looking better or worse.

They will both come with one wireless controller, and will come with your standard AV cable, though if you have an HDTV you'll want to upgrade that with an HDMI cable. Games played on an HDTV with just the AV cables look ok at best, whereas the HDMI cable will make them look spectacular.

The major difference between the Elite and the Arcade (other than the color) is the memory. The Elite comes with an external/detachable 120GB hard drive. It's detachable so your kids can go to a friend's house and play on their saved games, without having to bring the whole console, and vice versa. The Arcade comes with an internal memory chip at 256MB. Since they both have storage included, you don't have to buy an extra memory card or hard drive to be able to save games (like you had to do with the first two PlayStation consoles).

Depending on how many games they will want to play and save to the hard drive (which darn near EVERY game will need them to save their progress), you'll probably run out of room quick on the 256MB chip on the Arcade, though you can buy a hard drive separately and add it on. However, the 120GB on the Elite (or the 120GB drive if you buy it separately) will have more than enough room for you. For example, I have the Elite/Black, have game saves from well over a dozen different games (including installing 3 games directly to the hard drive), and I haven't even used 1/3 of the available space.

The Elite/Black console will also come with a headset to use on the XboxLive service (if you choose to allow the kids to play games online, they can use the headset to talk to other players), and will come with a free Cat5 cable to hook it up to the internet. The Arcade/White version won't come with either of those extras, though as always, they can be purchased separately.

From there, whichever way you go, the next thing you should buy with it is the rechargable battery pack and cable. The controller normally uses 2 AA batteries, but they will eat through them fairly quickly. The rechargable pack can be used wirelessly when at a full charge, and then you can plug the cord in and keep playing when you need to recharge.

Hope all this helps! Any other questions you have, feel free to ask!

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#3 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Wow Jedi, thank you so much. Thanks for taking the time of writing all that out. I can now come back and read a few more times if need be. I was really starting to stress a little on what I was looking at. I was kind of wondering what the internet options are, and now I know.

Thank you again.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#4 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Wow Jedi, thank you so much. Thanks for taking the time of writing all that out. I can now come back and read a few more times if need be. I was really starting to stress a little on what I was looking at. I was kind of wondering what the internet options are, and now I know.

Thank you again.

No problem.

As far as online, both consoles will have access to the XboxLive service, and there's 2 different levels of service available with it. Silver, which lets you download new updates for games, download full games from the XboxLive Arcade, and lots of other stuff. The kids can add friends online, and chat with them online. The other level is Gold, which allows them to play multiplayer games online, as well as all the stuff that the Silver level can do. You get the Silver level for free with purchase of the Xbox, and there are no yearly fees for it. The Gold level is $50 a year, or you can do month-to-month plans as well.

The same kind of side-by-side comparison for the Live service is available on Xbox.com.

You can use a normal Cat5/Ethernet cable to connect to the internet, or they have wireless adapters if you use WiFi at home too.

I personally only have the Silver membership. I played games on Live back when it first came out, but I haven't played online in years now. Because after a few years, the service was invaded by a bunch of teenagers who were all acting tough and cursing and swearing all the time. Combine that with the fact that those same kids got WAY better at the games than I did, so I cancelled my Gold service and just kept the Silver level.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#5 Sergei Fedorov91

Sergei Fedorov91

Touchdown

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

Probably too late but you should get the new slim version. Better design to reduce the 'red ring of death' incidents, allegedly.

#6 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Probably too late but you should get the new slim version. Better design to reduce the 'red ring of death' incidents, allegedly.

yea but the new one is kinect ready so it would be better to get that. plus 250 gb hard drive. win win.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users