#1 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Within seven days*

Am I the only one having problem sleeping? :ph34r:

According to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun, per the CBC's Satellite Hotstove, Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom will determine his hockey future in the next seven days, and then the Wings will sign him for a slight haircut over his $7.45 million salary, and the Wings have already started contract negotiations with Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi;

According to Glenn Healy, the NHLPA will also help lead the PA going forward, though he may not become their next executive director, and the PA does hope to find an executive director in short order.

Update 11:59 PM: Here's the clip...check the 5:41 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWo6jerkOA&feature=player_embedded

Update #2, Sunday, 5:54 AM: LeBrun offers substantiation in text via his blog:

ESPN: Nicklas Lidstrom will deliver his decision on his playing future to Detroit GM Ken Holland in the upcoming week. The Red Wings have their fingers crossed that he'll return, but the reality is, no one has a clue what he's going to decide. If he decides to return for another season, the next step will be to sign a contract since he's set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. He earned $7.4 million this season, and despite the fact he remains a great defenseman at age 40, the Wings will hope to get him back for less money.

Aside from Lidstrom, the Wings are also talking to both camps for Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi and want to try to bring them both back. They're both UFAs, as well.

Originally from:
http://blog.mlive.co...s_lidstrom.html

Edited by mindfly, 30 May 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#2 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

He's supposed to sign for more money? Isn't that what the first link says?

I doubt it.

Posted Image

#3 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

He's supposed to sign for more money? Isn't that what the first link says?

I doubt it.

I took 'a slight haircut' as to mean slightly less. Which would be equally lame.

#4 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#5 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

Seriously, I don't understand Lidstrom's motivation. The guy has nothing more to prove, so why not take a paycut so the team has some cap space and a legit change at another cup run? Bringing back the same team as last year, minus Bertuzzi and plus Hudler isn't going to get the job done.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#6 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Seriously, I don't understand Lidstrom's motivation. The guy has nothing more to prove, so why not take a paycut so the team has some cap space and a legit change at another cup run? Bringing back the same team as last year, minus Bertuzzi and plus Hudler isn't going to get the job done.

Maybe he just wants to make sure his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids are set for life? :ph34r:

Edited by Broken 16, 30 May 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#7 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Seriously, I don't understand Lidstrom's motivation.

Probably because you are not a pro-athlete :rolleyes:

#8 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

Maybe he just wants to make sure his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids are set for life? :ph34r:

You mean his his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids?

I agree with left winger, this team needs some change, not go back with the same team that just got beaten down by a team that got swept. Now I don't think Hudler is a waste and he is damn sure worth his 2.85m salary, but we need someone else for the top 6.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

^This

My thoughts exactly

#10 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Lidstrom will not make less than 7 million dollars. He will not be paid less than any player on the team. That is how Holland rolls.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#11 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Pay lidstrom what he deserves 7 mil plus

#12 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Lidstrom will not make less than 7 million dollars. He will not be paid less than any player on the team. That is how Holland rolls.

So if Lidstrom offers to play for less, Holland will refuse? What a stupid thing to insinuate.

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Lids $4.5

Lidstrom is still easily a top 5 defenseman in the league, and you expect him to take a $3 million paycut?

You guys kill me sometimes. For the good of the team he should play another grueling season for millions less than his market value? :blink:

If he signs for anything under 6 mill, he would officially be Saint Nick in Detroit.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 30 May 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#14 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

At the time he signed the contract that expired just now his market value was 8.5 or something so 7.45 was 1 million hometown discount (he was a norris winning 65-80pts D).. his value now..49pts last season no norris nomination decent +/-... around 6million?.. so 1million hometown discount...=5Million.. done deal! kthxbye

Edited by mindfly, 30 May 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#15 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Lidstrom is still easily a top 5 defenseman in the league, and you expect him to take a $3 million paycut?

You guys kill me sometimes. For the good of the team he should play another grueling season for millions less than his market value? :blink:

If he signs for anything under 6 mill, he would officially be Saint Nick in Detroit.

Exactly. People here are somewhat over-optimistic about this. There's never been anything suggesting he'd take anything more than a slight pay cut. It's insulting to him to expect him to take a cut of the proportions some people are suggesting.

My personal thoughts and impression from what I've heard is that we're looking at a number just a slight bit under 7 million. That's a guess, but I'd say it's a more reasonable one than something like 4 or 5 million. And let's be honest - most teams would easily give him 9 million without blinking (assuming they had the cap space). His salary last year was already a hometown discount.

#16 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

At the time he signed the contract that expired just now his market value was 8.5 or something so 7.45 was 1 million hometown discount (he was a norris winning 65-80pts D).. his value now..49pts last season no norris nomination decent +/-... around 6million?.. so 1million hometown discount...=5Million.. done deal! kthxbye

you know thats not fair, we all know lids means to much to this team, hes our mvp, and once he leaves things will be sour.

Also you have to be one generous man to do that, but im starting to agree with others, why not just take that 1 year with a huge paycut to win?

Edited by Puckpossession, 30 May 2010 - 06:03 PM.

#17 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

I still feel he's a top 10 player in the game. That puts his market value much over 6 million. While my personal feelings of a 9 million value on the open market might be a little high, I'd say that 6 is insultingly low.

#18 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'd rather he just retire unless he signs for 5 mil. Seriously. The guy is great but I really don't want to watch another year with the same team+Hudler-Williams... with Lidstrom a year older. He's looking human now, what's he gonna look like by the end of next season?

I'll be pissed if he makes 6+. And I will lose a little respect for him.

#19 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

I'd rather he just retire unless he signs for 5 mil. Seriously. The guy is great but I really don't want to watch another year with the same team+Hudler-Williams... with Lidstrom a year older. He's looking human now, what's he gonna look like by the end of next season?

I'll be pissed if he makes 6+. And I will lose a little respect for him.

While I agree that I want a bit more change than Hudler for Williams, getting rid of Lidstrom is not the answer.

Say he asks for 7 million, which you would not want. What possible additions could we make that would actually be an upgrade for that money? If Lidstrom's gone, while that might mean change, it would be a change for the worse.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

My gut tells me that he'll retire.

If he was coming back, he'd probably have decided it already unequivocally. I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything as much as this, but I just don't feel good about this.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.