• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

CBC's Hotstove: Lidstrom to determine future within 7 days

Rate this topic

funny how most of us agree, but I am still getting negatives on my original post. Oh well, must have been the Hurdler comments. Listen, just cause he wears the winged wheel doesn't mean I have to like him, you will all need a scapegoat next year and Happy is gonna be the guy, just watch. he'll make his awesome defensive plays every game next season and you will all wonder no longer why he couldn't even make the National Team...

You don't have to like him, but this thread has nothing to do with Jiri Hudler but your obsessive disliking of him somehow makes it a subject when there is no need for it to be a subject. Your soapbox rants about Hudler aren't necessary. That, along with your perception that Lidstrom should all of a sudden take an absurd paycut just for the better of the team is absurd or is a greedy idiot to possibly not do so or thinking he should retire is getting you negative posts.

Life may go on after Lidstrom, but this team is a lot better with him, and I don't want to see him retire. I can understand taking a small paycut here/there, but I'm sorry, some of you thinking he should retire and kicking him rear end to the curb if he doesn't just sacrifice millions are out of your mind.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I'm in the middle on this one. Lidstrom has certainly declined offensively, and if the only reason that he gets 6.7+ is because he "must be the highest paid" player on the team... that's ridiculous. I honestly feel that at this point in his career he's worth 5-5.5 million. He's a huge asset to the team, but I'd like him to do them a favor to the team here. As good as Lids has been to Detroit, they've been very good to him as well.

I'm not off my rocker, though, I'm fully aware that once he leaves the team is going to change drastically.

Yes, this team needs to change, but wholesale change is not the answer. Besides being a top-notch D man, Lidstrom is the captain first of all, and second of all, let's face it, our D is not what it used to be. Losing Lidstrom at this point would wreak havoc with the defense. Rafalski's good, but really, Number 1 D? I don't think so. We won't have Nik around much longer if he DOES sign, so let's pay him fair market value and show our appreciation not only for his consistent contributions to this team and how he can develop our defense of the future, but also for his hometown discounts of the past when it was really important.

I just want him to come back.

I don't really care what his cap hit is. I just want him to say for sure that he'll play next year.

I've gotten to that point to... almost on my knees praying and begging for him to stay.

Nice to see all the same sentiments here. Lidstrom know this team needs major improvement in order to compete for the Cup. He needs to step up, tell Holland he'll take the $3M paycut in order to get the right players here to compete for one more Cup before he retires. If He asks for $7M, I personally think that eats up WAY too much salary cap and would rather see him go and throw $4M a piece at Mitchell and Derek Morris. Listen, life will go on with Lidstrom. He is old and showing his human side. Sure he is still may be a top 10 defensman in the league, but I would rather better this teams chances winning again, than just being able to watch Nick play again and lose in the first round or maybe not make the playoffs...

I'm pretty sure no one shares your sentiments besides Mindfly.

The first tip off was the minus 10 from your post.

My gut tells me that he'll retire.

If he was coming back, he'd probably have decided it already unequivocally. I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything as much as this, but I just don't feel good about this.

Sadly, I agree. My gut has been saying Nick is done since the season ended.

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

dunce.jpg

My gut tells me that he'll retire.

If he was coming back, he'd probably have decided it already unequivocally. I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything as much as this, but I just don't feel good about this.

I disagree because the feeling within the organization is that he'll re-sign. These guys have nothing to gain by lying about it-- they'll just look like dicks if they all say they think he's coming back then he retires.

Well there was speculation that Stevie was going to be the future GM of Tampa, but from what I recall the Red Wings/Yzerman pretty much dismissed those early reports as well, and we all know how that turned out.

There's still a fair chance that Lids will retire.

The Wings said they gave permission to TB to talk to Stevie. They didn't come out and deny he'd been picked if I remember correctly.

Stevie said it was a closed matter at one place but there's good reason for that: he turned them down 3 times! Each time the owner waited then came back with a bigger offer.

I guess the main question for some of you guys is whether or not you believe the team could be improved with the $7.45M in cap space that would open up if Kenny were to play hardball with Lidstrom. A defensemen would need to be brought in, and ones that are any good aren't cheap, probably $4-5M, so you've a couple extra million to play around with. But I don't think you can improve the team with a new Dman that's a downgrade from Nick and one other bargain signing with the remainder.

This year's free agent crop of Dmen seems good, but they'll be more next year, and the next, on and on and into infinity. So, there's no real urgency to get younger now and forgo re-signing Nick.

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

This team sucked?

SUCKED?

Let's review.

Starting a true rookie goaltender who pulls off a record of 37-15-10, with GAA of 2.26, 0.924 save percentage.

Over 300 games lost due to injury, including Franzen, Zetterberg and Filppula getting long stretches out.

Despite losing a massive amount of scoring to free agency and injuries, they still made the playoffs and won round 1.

There's 22 teams in the league who would kill for that shot at the second round. 14 would have loved a shot at the first.

Room for improvement, sure. Sucked? Not a chance in hell.

Guest mindfly

Yes, this team needs to change, but wholesale change is not the answer. Besides being a top-notch D man, Lidstrom is the captain first of all, and second of all, let's face it, our D is not what it used to be. Losing Lidstrom at this point would wreak havoc with the defense. Rafalski's good, but really, Number 1 D? I don't think so. We won't have Nik around much longer if he DOES sign, so let's pay him fair market value and show our appreciation not only for his consistent contributions to this team and how he can develop our defense of the future, but also for his hometown discounts of the past when it was really important.

This team won't be able to win the cup if lidstrom re-signs near the same as his last contract, the same team + hudler (-williams) isn't gonna make it against chicago and whatnot, they need alot more scoring depth and 3rd pair needs some tweaking, too.

Edited by mindfly

If Lidstrom wants 7.4 million, he'll get it. BUT we all know that this team won't be winning the Cup until he retires. Lidstrom deserves every cent, but if he takes 7.4 million, the team will look nearly exactly the same as last year. And the Wings in the play-offs didn't do well with this exact team. Hudler will not make a dramatic difference especially at almost 3 million.

If Lidstrom wants to win another Cup, he'll take 4.5. If he wants a pay-day, 7.4. He'll get it, he's made a lot of money already, why not take less?

You mean his his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids?

I agree with left winger, this team needs some change, not go back with the same team that just got beaten down by a team that got swept. Now I don't think Hudler is a waste and he is damn sure worth his 2.85m salary, but we need someone else for the top 6.

Agreed this team is tired, it needs to be changed. Signing away all your cap space just gives us another year of apathetic play. Hudler will be a massive improvement over Williams but still isn't enough. I just don't feel comfortable icing basically the same team, our bottom 6 isn't equally distributed, Miller/Eaves/Ritola/Helm/hell even Cleary all have the same type of play. We need to start changing some pieces and obviously Helm is staying and we are forced with Cleary, but we need to at least get rid one of Eaves/Miller/Ritola.

Also I would be highly disappointed if Lidstrom didn't take a decent pay cut. I don't give a s*** that he is a pro and worth the money, I just couldn't imagine Lidstrom being that type of guy, I figured he'd be more like Stevie Y.....

Edited by ben_usmc

If Lidstrom wants 7.4 million, he'll get it. BUT we all know that this team won't be winning the Cup until he retires. Lidstrom deserves every cent, but if he takes 7.4 million, the team will look nearly exactly the same as last year. And the Wings in the play-offs didn't do well with this exact team. Hudler will not make a dramatic difference especially at almost 3 million.

If Lidstrom wants to win another Cup, he'll take 4.5. If he wants a pay-day, 7.4. He'll get it, he's made a lot of money already, why not take less?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. He doesn't need to work another day in his life and he'll be fine money-wise. I love Lidstrom and want him back. Would I like for him to take a paycut to bring some other guys in? Sure. Is he worth every cent he's making now? Absolutely. I'll take him at $7.4. I'll take him at $1. It doesn't matter.

Looks like I'll have to deal with some anxiety for the next seven days whenever I think about the Wings.

I'd do anything just to log onto LGW and see a thread titled, "Nick's coming back!!!" Or something like that after he's made his final decision.

Guest mindfly

Looks like I'll have to deal with some anxiety for the next seven days whenever I think about the Wings.

I'd do anything just to log onto LGW and see a thread titled, "Nick's coming back!!!" Or something like that after he's made his final decision.

I had thoughts before of making a "Lidstrom officially retires from hockey" and then say "I kid" but those kind of threads could literally kill some people with a weak heart and I probably would get banned because of the subject is so important to the fanbase and also very sensitive

:hehe:

I had thoughts before of making a "Lidstrom officially retires from hockey" and then say "I kid" but those kind of threads could literally kill some people with a weak heart and I probably would get banned because of the subject is so important to the fanbase and also very sensitive

:hehe:

You must be aging, Luv; you're acquiring wisdom.

I hope to see Lids back. I'll certainly understand if he doesn't. What does he have left to prove or win? Nothing in the NHL, that's for sure.

On the other hand, there's a strong argument to be made for going out on top, devotion to the team, and just pure love of the game. Not to belittle his spearing incident, but compared to many other players his age, he's not had a lot of injuries.

We can sit here all day and debate where he is on a scale of Mortal to Superhuman, but in the end he has to do what's best for both him and his family, with the team being of secondary importance to his family. We have no way to speculate where his mind is on that, and that's how it ought to be. The man deserves his privacy.

I personally hope that he comes back, and I don't think 1 year in the neighbourhood of $6 million is out of the question, although if he wants to take less so they have more cap space, it'll just increase my love for him.

motivator6592434.jpg

This team won't be able to win the cup if lidstrom re-signs near the same as his last contract, the same team + hudler (-williams) isn't gonna make it against chicago and whatnot, they need alot more scoring depth and 3rd pair needs some tweaking, too.

How do y'all know that they won't win the Cup next season? The season hasn't even started yet.

Lids $4.5

Uh. We got Franzen back too. Did you forget that he was gone from the 3rd game until the middle of February. Franzen is a 40 goal scorer and Huds is a 20 goal scorer. That's 60 goals. They didn't suck from mid February to the endd of the season.

How do y'all know that they won't win the Cup next season? The season hasn't even started yet.

Because we only made it to the 2nd round and lost four 1-goal games to be eliminated, it's easy to see that this team is FAR, FAR away from having a chance at contending for the cup.

:rolleyes:

Because we only made it to the 2nd round and lost four 1-goal games to be eliminated, it's easy to see that this team is FAR, FAR away from having a chance at contending for the cup.

:rolleyes:

Not to mention that dreadfully scary Eastern Conference.