• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

CBC's Hotstove: Lidstrom to determine future within 7 days

Rate this topic

That's kinda like saying that despite the fact that billions of people will buy Coke at $1 a can every week, it's still overpriced. A product is worth what someone is willing to pay.

The market clearly shows that Nicklas Lidstrom is worth more than a cap hit of $6m despite the opinion of you and the other armchair GM's at LGW.

Different people are willing to pay different amounts for the same item depending on their individual needs. If I were in the Mohave Desert dying of dehydration, I would be willing to pay much more than the market value of a Coke.

Our team doesn't need to host the Nicklas Lidstrom 2010-2011 farewell tour, they need to win the Stanley Cup. Pretty much everyone agrees that icing the same team as this year won't cut it, so we simply cannot afford to pay him as much as some other GMs would be willing to. Having the opportunity to close out ones career with the only team you've ever played for AND having a significant shot at winning the Stanley Cup is pretty rare, and if that is something that is important to Nick, he needs to be willing to make a sacrifice in order to make it happen. Are there other teams willing to pay him 7+ million dollars next year? Without a doubt. I don't think that Detroit should be one of them though.

Edited by Bannedforlife

I still get a kick out of people thinking that if Lidstrom doesn't take a discount for the betterment of the team, he is a greedy selfish jerk.

Sure, we've seen examples of people deferring money in the past. But it isn't the norm in business, nor should it be expected/assumed even though it's happened in Detroit a few times over a span of years and years.

Giving up money to stay at a job longer or being loyal is definitely and honorable thing to do, but to expect Lidstrom to just give up millions to be a team player is just silly, when he is still one of the best defensemen in the league. Thinking less of him if he doesn't do so is even more ridiculous since he's taken cuts here/there in the past as already previous stated.

Would it be nice if he took a huge pay cut for the team? Of course. Should we expect him to? Nope.

I haven't seen one person call him a selfish, greedy jerk. Stop trying to stir the pot. Everyone that is expecting Lidstrom to sign for substantially less are basing it off rumors that he would come back if he thought the team could win a Cup. Which implies that he wants to win another Cup. If that is true, then taking a 6-7+ contract won't help the cause.

Stop trying to turn this into an anti-Lidstrom thing for your own amusement. Just because some of us would be disappointed in him a little doesn't mean anyone thinks he is a selfish, greedy jerk.

Because we only made it to the 2nd round and lost four 1-goal games to be eliminated, it's easy to see that this team is FAR, FAR away from having a chance at contending for the cup.

:rolleyes:

hahahaha

You're nuts. Nobody that knows anything thinks that we are not at least a contendor for the Cup. If Howard doesn't let in that soft goal at the end of game 3, we go back to San Jose tied 2-2. Far, Far away? What were you watching?

Different people are willing to pay different amounts for the same item depending on their individual needs. If I were in the Mohave Desert dying of dehydration, I would be willing to pay much more than the market value of a Coke.

Our team doesn't need to host the Nicklas Lidstrom 2010-2011 farewell tour, they need to win the Stanley Cup. Pretty much everyone agrees that icing the same team as this year won't cut it, so we simply cannot afford to pay him as much as some other GMs would be willing to. Having the opportunity to close out ones career with the only team you've ever played for AND having a significant shot at winning the Stanley Cup is pretty rare, and if that is something that is important to Nick, he needs to be willing to make a sacrifice in order to make it happen. Are there other teams willing to pay him 7+ million dollars next year? Without a doubt. I don't think that Detroit should be one of them though.

That's right. A product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I can't be sure if you've attempted to disagree with me.

That's kinda like saying that despite the fact that billions of people will buy Coke at $1 a can every week, it's still overpriced. A product is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Right. And all I'm saying is that if he is gonna demand 6-7, then I wouldn't mind letting him walk. No biggie.

The market clearly shows that Nicklas Lidstrom is worth more than a cap hit of $6m despite the opinion of you and the other armchair GM's at LGW.

No s*** Sherlock. We all know what he is worth. I'm not the one listing stupid examples of other salaries to prove a point. Salaries handed out by other GM's for other teams. God forbid someone out there actually overpaid for a need.

All I'm saying is that if he demands 6-7, money is a little more important to Nick than another Cup. Fine. Whatever. And yes, it will tarnish him a little in my eyes. Not my problem that he succeeded Yzerman, one of the best ever, as captain. Sorry he has such big shoes to fill.

Edited by Broken 16

I'm gonna be frank. This is just a hideous display of idiocy. Lidstrom has already foregone an arguable $15m-$25m in hometown discounts for the Wings over the past decade and a half and you sit there and post this.

Exactly. Over the past few years, Lidstrom is one of the top players in the league (certainly in the top 5) and he could easily be making the maximum salary which I believe is $10M but he is playing for $7.45. There are many teams that would have signed him for $10M a few years ago without a moments hesitation. So he already is taking a discount.

Whatever number he wants, he will get. I'd give it to him. So forget all this BS about him taking a ridiculously low amount. I'm good with whatever he wants. He's worth it.

Right. And all I'm saying is that if he is gonna demand 6-7, then I wouldn't mind letting him walk. No biggie.

No s*** Sherlock. We all know what he is worth. I'm not the one listing stupid examples of other salaries to prove a point. Salaries handed out by other GM's for other teams. God forbid someone out there actually overpaid for a need.

All I'm saying is that if he demands 6-7, money is a little more important to Nick than another Cup. Fine. Whatever. And yes, it will tarnish him a little in my eyes. Not my problem that he succeeded Yzerman, one of the best ever, as captain. Sorry he has such big shoes to fill.

That notwithstanding, the original post of mine responded to by you, was nothing more than a disagreement about his value. Mindfly said he was worth $6m and I showed that the market disagrees with this view. So no, we all do not know what he's worth apparently. At the end of the day, the market is all that matters when valuing a player.

So for me the question becomes, why are you arguing with me when you are in full agreeance with me?

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm guessing Lidstrom signs for 1 year at 6-6.5 million.

That notwithstanding, the original post of mine responded to by you, was nothing more than a disagreement about his value. Mindfly said he was worth $6m and I showed that the market disagrees with this view. So no, we all do not know what he's worth apparently. At the end of the day, the market is all that matters when valuing a player.

So for me the question becomes, why are you arguing with me when you are in full agreeance with me?

I don't know... maybe I got lost along the way or something...

In terms of raw salary though, I'd be hesitant to pay him much over 6. Despite the fact that his name is Lidstrom, age is a factor in my mind. There has been a decline and there really isn't any indication that it won't continue. Every year he ages, his chance for injury increases. Granted... it's probably a millionth of a percent for Lids, but still. And what ever happened to the elbow? Did he ever get surgery on that? Because his booming shot from the point was almost non-existent last season. That could be a factor.

Could Lidstrom bend the Wings over and demand a 'market value' contract? Of course. Doesn't mean he should, in my opinion. If he did, he would go from godlike to superhuman in my book. I'm pretty sure he could live with that.

I haven't seen one person call him a selfish, greedy jerk. Stop trying to stir the pot. Everyone that is expecting Lidstrom to sign for substantially less are basing it off rumors that he would come back if he thought the team could win a Cup. Which implies that he wants to win another Cup. If that is true, then taking a 6-7+ contract won't help the cause.

Stop trying to turn this into an anti-Lidstrom thing for your own amusement. Just because some of us would be disappointed in him a little doesn't mean anyone thinks he is a selfish, greedy jerk.

Then stop giving the perception that Lidstrom isn't a team player and is selfish if he accepts 6 or 7 million or whatever (not just you, but a few other people as well).

And believe me, this thread does not amuse me whatsoever and I'm not trying to turn anything into stuff for my enjoyment.

Then stop giving the perception that Lidstrom isn't a team player and is selfish if he accepts 6 or 7 million or whatever (not just you, but a few other people as well).

And believe me, this thread does not amuse me whatsoever and I'm not trying to turn anything into stuff for my enjoyment.

No one said anything about being a team player either. It's fairly simple at this point.

6.5-7+= More concerned about money than Cup= me kinda disappointed in him

6-6.4= Still kinda concerned about money= meh... whatever

5.9 and less= Wants a Cup badly= me happier than a pig in s***

If he lands somewhere in the mid 5 range, that will put him right amidst the rest of the core players on the team, who all also happen to be in their prime. I don't think Lidstrom making 5.5 on this roster is as much of a paycut as some of you would like everyone to believe.

hahahaha

You're nuts. Nobody that knows anything thinks that we are not at least a contendor for the Cup. If Howard doesn't let in that soft goal at the end of game 3, we go back to San Jose tied 2-2. Far, Far away? What were you watching?

What post were you reading? :lol:

No more "sources say..." This quote comes directly from the Red Wings GM, Ken Holland -

"Nick told me he will give me his decision by the end of this week," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Monday.

Unfortunately it doesn't reveal anything about which way Nick is leaning. It does say if he decides to come back the Wings will try to get him to sign for about $6 million.

Here's a link to the whole article - Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom will make decision on his future by end of week

Guest mjtm77

I love how every one said that he would resign him for 3 or 4 mil but now that he is debateing comming back you all say he gets 6 mil

Guest mindfly

5Mil would be perfect, a little less than Keith, because he is not quite as good as keith at this stage of his career.