• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#21 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

While I agree that I want a bit more change than Hudler for Williams, getting rid of Lidstrom is not the answer.

Say he asks for 7 million, which you would not want. What possible additions could we make that would actually be an upgrade for that money? If Lidstrom's gone, while that might mean change, it would be a change for the worse.

If he asks for 7 million, then he doesn't really care about a Cup. Just sayin'. He knows full well what this team needs and if he isn't willing to sacrifice some of his salary to help fill that need, then why bother? That's all I'm saying. Of course he is worth it. But giving him a huge salary just for the sake of watching him play another season would be a drag.

Edited by Broken 16, 30 May 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

I'd rather he just retire unless he signs for 5 mil. Seriously. The guy is great but I really don't want to watch another year with the same team+Hudler-Williams... with Lidstrom a year older. He's looking human now, what's he gonna look like by the end of next season?

I'll be pissed if he makes 6+. And I will lose a little respect for him.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

He's looking human, but still like one of the best human defenseman the league has.

The way some of you talk, maybe he should go play for Stevie in Tampa Bay and get the money and respect he deserves. Then we'll see how human he looks when he's not on the Wings.

If he asks for 7 million, then he doesn't really care about a Cup. Just sayin'. He knows full well what this team needs and if he isn't willing to sacrifice some of his salary to help fill that need, then why bother? That's all I'm saying. Of course he is worth it. But giving him a huge salary just for the sake of watching him play another season would be a drag.

It's not Nick's job to manage the money situation. That's Holland's.

The reason he gets the huge salary is because he is a large part of the reason this team is good year after year.

Some of his salary is one thing, but you guys are talking about millions of dollars.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Nice to see all the same sentiments here. Lidstrom know this team needs major improvement in order to compete for the Cup. He needs to step up, tell Holland he'll take the $3M paycut in order to get the right players here to compete for one more Cup before he retires. If He asks for $7M, I personally think that eats up WAY too much salary cap and would rather see him go and throw $4M a piece at Mitchell and Derek Morris. Listen, life will go on with Lidstrom. He is old and showing his human side. Sure he is still may be a top 10 defensman in the league, but I would rather better this teams chances winning again, than just being able to watch Nick play again and lose in the first round or maybe not make the playoffs...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

He's looking human, but still like one of the best human defenseman the league has.

The way some of you talk, maybe he should go play for Stevie in Tampa Bay and get the money and respect he deserves. Then we'll see how human he looks when he's not on the Wings.

It's not Nick's job to manage the money situation. That's Holland's.

The reason he gets the huge salary is because he is a large part of the reason this team is good year after year.

Some of his salary is one thing, but you guys are talking about millions of dollars.

This isn't really up to Holland. Lidstrom is in the drivers seat and if he demands 6+, then he isn't really all that interested in another Cup. That's all I'm saying. And there has been a decline in play. And there is no reason to believe the decline won't continue.

We can dicker all day long about what he deserves and in the end, we would probably be close. But based on what I've heard, he would come back for another chance at a Cup. If that's what he truly wants, signing for 6+ won't really go very far in helping his cause. Demanding 6+ will show, to me anyway, that he comes back more for money than for a chance to win another Cup. And, yes, that will tarnish him a bit in my eyes.

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

This isn't really up to Holland. Lidstrom is in the drivers seat and if he demands 6+, then he isn't really all that interested in another Cup. That's all I'm saying. And there has been a decline in play. And there is no reason to believe the decline won't continue.

We can dicker all day long about what he deserves and in the end, we would probably be close. But based on what I've heard, he would come back for another chance at a Cup. If that's what he truly wants, signing for 6+ won't really go very far in helping his cause. Demanding 6+ will show, to me anyway, that he comes back more for money than for a chance to win another Cup. And, yes, that will tarnish him a bit in my eyes.

funny how most of us agree, but I am still getting negatives on my original post. Oh well, must have been the Hurdler comments. Listen, just cause he wears the winged wheel doesn't mean I have to like him, you will all need a scapegoat next year and Happy is gonna be the guy, just watch. he'll make his awesome defensive plays every game next season and you will all wonder no longer why he couldn't even make the National Team...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

funny how most of us agree, but I am still getting negatives on my original post. Oh well, must have been the Hurdler comments. Listen, just cause he wears the winged wheel doesn't mean I have to like him, you will all need a scapegoat next year and Happy is gonna be the guy, just watch. he'll make his awesome defensive plays every game next season and you will all wonder no longer why he couldn't even make the National Team...

You don't have to like him, but this thread has nothing to do with Jiri Hudler but your obsessive disliking of him somehow makes it a subject when there is no need for it to be a subject. Your soapbox rants about Hudler aren't necessary. That, along with your perception that Lidstrom should all of a sudden take an absurd paycut just for the better of the team is absurd or is a greedy idiot to possibly not do so or thinking he should retire is getting you negative posts.

Life may go on after Lidstrom, but this team is a lot better with him, and I don't want to see him retire. I can understand taking a small paycut here/there, but I'm sorry, some of you thinking he should retire and kicking him rear end to the curb if he doesn't just sacrifice millions are out of your mind.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 30 May 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#27 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

I'm with Jack (SWF). Some of you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in left field, so far so that I doubt you can see home plate from there. Yes I know that's a baseball metaphor, but work with me here.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#28 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

I'm in the middle on this one. Lidstrom has certainly declined offensively, and if the only reason that he gets 6.7+ is because he "must be the highest paid" player on the team... that's ridiculous. I honestly feel that at this point in his career he's worth 5-5.5 million. He's a huge asset to the team, but I'd like him to do them a favor to the team here. As good as Lids has been to Detroit, they've been very good to him as well.

I'm not off my rocker, though, I'm fully aware that once he leaves the team is going to change drastically.

#29 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

I just want him to come back.

I don't really care what his cap hit is. I just want him to say for sure that he'll play next year.

#30 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

Yes, this team needs to change, but wholesale change is not the answer. Besides being a top-notch D man, Lidstrom is the captain first of all, and second of all, let's face it, our D is not what it used to be. Losing Lidstrom at this point would wreak havoc with the defense. Rafalski's good, but really, Number 1 D? I don't think so. We won't have Nik around much longer if he DOES sign, so let's pay him fair market value and show our appreciation not only for his consistent contributions to this team and how he can develop our defense of the future, but also for his hometown discounts of the past when it was really important.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#31 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

I don't really care what his cap hit is. I just want him to say for sure that he'll play next year.

I've gotten to that point to... almost on my knees praying and begging for him to stay.

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Nice to see all the same sentiments here. Lidstrom know this team needs major improvement in order to compete for the Cup. He needs to step up, tell Holland he'll take the $3M paycut in order to get the right players here to compete for one more Cup before he retires. If He asks for $7M, I personally think that eats up WAY too much salary cap and would rather see him go and throw $4M a piece at Mitchell and Derek Morris. Listen, life will go on with Lidstrom. He is old and showing his human side. Sure he is still may be a top 10 defensman in the league, but I would rather better this teams chances winning again, than just being able to watch Nick play again and lose in the first round or maybe not make the playoffs...

I'm pretty sure no one shares your sentiments besides Mindfly.

The first tip off was the minus 10 from your post.

My gut tells me that he'll retire.

If he was coming back, he'd probably have decided it already unequivocally. I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything as much as this, but I just don't feel good about this.

Sadly, I agree. My gut has been saying Nick is done since the season ended.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

I want Lidstrom back too - however some here feel that he should get more than Rafalski which IMO not the best way to look at the situation concerning the cap...Lids' game isn't where it was when he was a Norris Trophy winner/canidate, and Holland shouldn't be paying him as though he were.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

Posted Image
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#35 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

My gut tells me that he'll retire.

If he was coming back, he'd probably have decided it already unequivocally. I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything as much as this, but I just don't feel good about this.

I disagree because the feeling within the organization is that he'll re-sign. These guys have nothing to gain by lying about it-- they'll just look like dicks if they all say they think he's coming back then he retires.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

I disagree because the feeling within the organization is that he'll re-sign. These guys have nothing to gain by lying about it-- they'll just look like dicks if they all say they think he's coming back then he retires.

Well there was speculation that Stevie was going to be the future GM of Tampa, but from what I recall the Red Wings/Yzerman pretty much dismissed those early reports as well, and we all know how that turned out.

There's still a fair chance that Lids will retire.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

Well there was speculation that Stevie was going to be the future GM of Tampa, but from what I recall the Red Wings/Yzerman pretty much dismissed those early reports as well, and we all know how that turned out.

There's still a fair chance that Lids will retire.

The Wings said they gave permission to TB to talk to Stevie. They didn't come out and deny he'd been picked if I remember correctly.

Stevie said it was a closed matter at one place but there's good reason for that: he turned them down 3 times! Each time the owner waited then came back with a bigger offer.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

This is what's going to happen:

Lids will come back for another season, Almost 100% sure of this. And you will all be happy.

BUT, he'll sign for 6.5M. and that will piss some of you off.

Pure speculation, but I'd bet the farm on this scenario.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

I guess the main question for some of you guys is whether or not you believe the team could be improved with the $7.45M in cap space that would open up if Kenny were to play hardball with Lidstrom. A defensemen would need to be brought in, and ones that are any good aren't cheap, probably $4-5M, so you've a couple extra million to play around with. But I don't think you can improve the team with a new Dman that's a downgrade from Nick and one other bargain signing with the remainder.

This year's free agent crop of Dmen seems good, but they'll be more next year, and the next, on and on and into infinity. So, there's no real urgency to get younger now and forgo re-signing Nick.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#40 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

This team sucked?

SUCKED?

Let's review.

Starting a true rookie goaltender who pulls off a record of 37-15-10, with GAA of 2.26, 0.924 save percentage.
Over 300 games lost due to injury, including Franzen, Zetterberg and Filppula getting long stretches out.
Despite losing a massive amount of scoring to free agency and injuries, they still made the playoffs and won round 1.

There's 22 teams in the league who would kill for that shot at the second round. 14 would have loved a shot at the first.

Room for improvement, sure. Sucked? Not a chance in hell.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.