• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#41 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

Yes, this team needs to change, but wholesale change is not the answer. Besides being a top-notch D man, Lidstrom is the captain first of all, and second of all, let's face it, our D is not what it used to be. Losing Lidstrom at this point would wreak havoc with the defense. Rafalski's good, but really, Number 1 D? I don't think so. We won't have Nik around much longer if he DOES sign, so let's pay him fair market value and show our appreciation not only for his consistent contributions to this team and how he can develop our defense of the future, but also for his hometown discounts of the past when it was really important.

This team won't be able to win the cup if lidstrom re-signs near the same as his last contract, the same team + hudler (-williams) isn't gonna make it against chicago and whatnot, they need alot more scoring depth and 3rd pair needs some tweaking, too.

Edited by mindfly, 31 May 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#42 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

If Lidstrom wants 7.4 million, he'll get it. BUT we all know that this team won't be winning the Cup until he retires. Lidstrom deserves every cent, but if he takes 7.4 million, the team will look nearly exactly the same as last year. And the Wings in the play-offs didn't do well with this exact team. Hudler will not make a dramatic difference especially at almost 3 million.

If Lidstrom wants to win another Cup, he'll take 4.5. If he wants a pay-day, 7.4. He'll get it, he's made a lot of money already, why not take less?

#43 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

You mean his his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids?

I agree with left winger, this team needs some change, not go back with the same team that just got beaten down by a team that got swept. Now I don't think Hudler is a waste and he is damn sure worth his 2.85m salary, but we need someone else for the top 6.

Agreed this team is tired, it needs to be changed. Signing away all your cap space just gives us another year of apathetic play. Hudler will be a massive improvement over Williams but still isn't enough. I just don't feel comfortable icing basically the same team, our bottom 6 isn't equally distributed, Miller/Eaves/Ritola/Helm/hell even Cleary all have the same type of play. We need to start changing some pieces and obviously Helm is staying and we are forced with Cleary, but we need to at least get rid one of Eaves/Miller/Ritola.

Also I would be highly disappointed if Lidstrom didn't take a decent pay cut. I don't give a s*** that he is a pro and worth the money, I just couldn't imagine Lidstrom being that type of guy, I figured he'd be more like Stevie Y.....

Edited by ben_usmc, 31 May 2010 - 12:59 AM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#44 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:19 AM

If Lidstrom wants 7.4 million, he'll get it. BUT we all know that this team won't be winning the Cup until he retires. Lidstrom deserves every cent, but if he takes 7.4 million, the team will look nearly exactly the same as last year. And the Wings in the play-offs didn't do well with this exact team. Hudler will not make a dramatic difference especially at almost 3 million.

If Lidstrom wants to win another Cup, he'll take 4.5. If he wants a pay-day, 7.4. He'll get it, he's made a lot of money already, why not take less?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. He doesn't need to work another day in his life and he'll be fine money-wise. I love Lidstrom and want him back. Would I like for him to take a paycut to bring some other guys in? Sure. Is he worth every cent he's making now? Absolutely. I'll take him at $7.4. I'll take him at $1. It doesn't matter.

#45 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

Looks like I'll have to deal with some anxiety for the next seven days whenever I think about the Wings.

I'd do anything just to log onto LGW and see a thread titled, "Nick's coming back!!!" Or something like that after he's made his final decision.

#46 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

Looks like I'll have to deal with some anxiety for the next seven days whenever I think about the Wings.

I'd do anything just to log onto LGW and see a thread titled, "Nick's coming back!!!" Or something like that after he's made his final decision.

I had thoughts before of making a "Lidstrom officially retires from hockey" and then say "I kid" but those kind of threads could literally kill some people with a weak heart and I probably would get banned because of the subject is so important to the fanbase and also very sensitive

:hehe:

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

I had thoughts before of making a "Lidstrom officially retires from hockey" and then say "I kid" but those kind of threads could literally kill some people with a weak heart and I probably would get banned because of the subject is so important to the fanbase and also very sensitive

:hehe:

You must be aging, Luv; you're acquiring wisdom.

I hope to see Lids back. I'll certainly understand if he doesn't. What does he have left to prove or win? Nothing in the NHL, that's for sure.

On the other hand, there's a strong argument to be made for going out on top, devotion to the team, and just pure love of the game. Not to belittle his spearing incident, but compared to many other players his age, he's not had a lot of injuries.

We can sit here all day and debate where he is on a scale of Mortal to Superhuman, but in the end he has to do what's best for both him and his family, with the team being of secondary importance to his family. We have no way to speculate where his mind is on that, and that's how it ought to be. The man deserves his privacy.

I personally hope that he comes back, and I don't think 1 year in the neighbourhood of $6 million is out of the question, although if he wants to take less so they have more cap space, it'll just increase my love for him.

Posted Image

#48 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

This team won't be able to win the cup if lidstrom re-signs near the same as his last contract, the same team + hudler (-williams) isn't gonna make it against chicago and whatnot, they need alot more scoring depth and 3rd pair needs some tweaking, too.

How do y'all know that they won't win the Cup next season? The season hasn't even started yet.

#49 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

Uh. We got Franzen back too. Did you forget that he was gone from the 3rd game until the middle of February. Franzen is a 40 goal scorer and Huds is a 20 goal scorer. That's 60 goals. They didn't suck from mid February to the endd of the season.
Do or do not. There is no try

#50 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

It's his decision; as long as he doesn't do it in "Sundin Time".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#51 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

How do y'all know that they won't win the Cup next season? The season hasn't even started yet.

Because we only made it to the 2nd round and lost four 1-goal games to be eliminated, it's easy to see that this team is FAR, FAR away from having a chance at contending for the cup.

:rolleyes:

#52 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

Because we only made it to the 2nd round and lost four 1-goal games to be eliminated, it's easy to see that this team is FAR, FAR away from having a chance at contending for the cup.

Not to mention that dreadfully scary Eastern Conference.

#53 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Because a team like Chicago is better than detroit at the moment, simple as that, Hudler won't make up the difference between the two teams.

#54 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

It's his decision; as long as he doesn't do it in "Sundin Time".

...or "Favre time".

I can deal with it no matter the decision.

If he gets 7 million. I think it's worth it. We get back our superstar defenseman for a year and if he retires the following year we've got 7 million to work with to put pieces together to fill the void.

If he takes less, it could be nice because we'll have some money to work with.
Hopefully, Holland brings in a piece or two from outside of the organization rather than giving current roster players substantial raises. I'd like him to see what happens when you've got a little cap room and you use it, rather than just standing pat or claiming that a healthy player, or a returning player is our key summer acquisition.

Respectfully, I think Kenny needs to be wise and figure out what the next step is for our defense after Lids is gone.
Raffi too, is not far behind in being out the door. When your number one and number two d-men are going to be gone in two season's time, it's really time to think about what the next step is here. I think Stuart and Kronwall are key pieces and Ericsson has potential, but there are some very big holes to fill in our top four sooner than later.

Sign a decent d-man for a couple year term with the cap space you've got or will get from a Lidstrom discount or the fact that Drapes will be off the books next year. If it doesn't work, trade the player. I don't think I'm telling Ken Holland anything that he doesn't already know, I just hope he steps outside of his little box this summer and moving forward in regards to this team.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#55 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

Please. After three straight Mays and two straight Junes we were devastated by injuries, had a first year starting goaltender. Yet we get 100 points and lose in the second round by four 1 goal games to one of the best teams in the league. Clearly we are good. You're just spoiled with all the success we've been having. If Lids comes back, we are getting the favor. Pay him whatever he wants and let's give this team with more rest and a more experienced goal tender another go at it.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#56 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

guys, if you think he's going for money, Lidstrom could probably step into the open market and make as much as he is now, or slightly higher. HE'S LIDSTROM.

Dale Tallon in Florida will write him a blank check! After all, if Huet could get 5.6 from him, Lids could get 15 easily.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Agreed this team is tired, it needs to be changed. Signing away all your cap space just gives us another year of apathetic play. Hudler will be a massive improvement over Williams but still isn't enough. I just don't feel comfortable icing basically the same team, our bottom 6 isn't equally distributed, Miller/Eaves/Ritola/Helm/hell even Cleary all have the same type of play. We need to start changing some pieces and obviously Helm is staying and we are forced with Cleary, but we need to at least get rid one of Eaves/Miller/Ritola.

Also I would be highly disappointed if Lidstrom didn't take a decent pay cut. I don't give a s*** that he is a pro and worth the money, I just couldn't imagine Lidstrom being that type of guy, I figured he'd be more like Stevie Y.....

That's not an apples to apples comparison. Yzerman's last season he was nowhere near the player he used to be. His first half was bad enough he thought about retiring then, but finally ended up playing roughly 12 minutes a game and contributing 34 points. Not bad, but hardly the Steve Yzerman we know.

Lidstrom is still a top 5 defenseman in the league. Yes he's getting older, but he'll still likely be top 10 next season. He's the #1 defenseman on the team and played increased minutes this season due to injuries, when he should've been playing less. Yzerman was basically a third liner when he took that contract. It's not like Stevie could've signed anywhere and been offered huge money, like Nick could.

A lot of people weren't even sure he would be able to play at all. Stevie was basically taking his perceived market value post lockout.

#58 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

Because a team like Chicago is better than detroit at the moment, simple as that, Hudler won't make up the difference between the two teams.

Chicago is in the same situation the Wings were last year. They have some players that are underpaid and are going to get raises. While they will definitely be a great team next season and beyond, they're not gonna be as stacked as they are this year.

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Chicago is in the same situation the Wings were last year. They have some players that are underpaid and are going to get raises. While they will definitely be a great team next season and beyond, they're not gonna be as stacked as they are this year.

Andrew Ladd
Dave Bolland
John Madden
Ben Eager
Adam Burish
Colin Fraser
Patrick Sharp

Most if not all of those guys could be gone come this summer.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

Silly me, I forgot!!!! *forehead smack* :P

Every year and every season is different. This season should not be used as the end-of-all-end determinations for what will happen next season. And again, THE SEASON HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 31 May 2010 - 10:24 AM.