• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Hossa

Rate this topic

If there wasn't a cap maybe, but I'm pretty confident in Kenny's decision to re-sign Franzen instead, then and especially now.

I bet the Hawks were expecting more from him but I'm sure they're not really complaining, considering where they're at. And in any event, I think people get too hung up on the number of goals -- any play that helps create a goal is as good in my book, and Hossa did work in Game 1 with two deft passes to set up Brouwer goals.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

He's paid to put up points - goals and assists and he's not doing it. He has 0.76 points/game which is 60th yes 60th in the playoffs. The 2 goals in 17 games is pitiful. The only thing that he is doing well is playing defense. His +/- is 2nd in the league just behind a guy whose last name begins with Z.

I am glad that we didn't sign him. Some guys elevate their play in the playoffs - Franzen, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and some guys wither - Hossa, Joe Thorton...

The Hawks are paying him alot of money and he isn't getting it done in the playoffs. To date he has had a total of 2 good playoffs and one of them was when he played wing with Sydney Crosby.

Kenny is a very smart man.

Keep in mind his linemates are much worse than who he played with the last 2 years. So far in the playoffs he's only played with Kante or Toews about 15% of the time.

28.07% EV 81 HOSSA,MARIAN - 82 KOPECKY,TOMAS - 10 SHARP,PATRICK

24.06% EV 22 BROUWER,TROY - 81 HOSSA,MARIAN - 10 SHARP,PATRICK

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?chkForward=checkbox&selForward=CHIHOSSA%2CMARIAN&period=ALL&situation=EV&games=2009-2010%3AP%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

But it is disappointing.

Edited by Z and D for the C

While I give him credit for focusing more on the parts of his game that are currently helping the team (creating opportunities for his teammates, assists, defense) - you've gotta be scoring goals when you're earning what he is.

While I give him credit for focusing more on the parts of his game that are currently helping the team (creating opportunities for his teammates, assists, defense) - you've gotta be scoring goals when you're earning what he is.

Winning solves everything. As someone else mentioned, I'm sure they've noticed his lack of goal scoring, but don't mind as much considering they're 3 wins away from the Cup. However when you lose, as Detroit did last season, his lack of scoring becomes magnified all the more.

^ This.

It's a catch-22 and you can look at Hossa being there presently in different ways, no way being either right or wrong. He's doing some things here and there to contribute to wins (just like he did, albeit in an inconsistent manner, with Wings wings last playoffs when he wasn't scoring - i.e. Game 1 or 2 of the SCF where he had two assists in a win), but he's getting paid to put up points and score.

If he keeps this pace up, or lack thereof, on the scoresheet and Chicago wins, I don't think it's out of reach to say that Chicago won in spite of him, if you're going to look at he gets paid to score goals etc.

Hossa is playing well as a role player, and considering how deep Chicago is I can't say that is a problem.

But at the same time the Franzen contract seems to be looking good considering the great disparity in goal scoring between the two.

Either way, I would have no problem with Hossa scoring a goal in each game and winning the cup. I am really pulling for him which is the only reason I am giving Chicago any support.

He's never been known as a clutch performer.

They have so much talent on their team, that they can succeed even with him playing like crap.

It's a shame he's going to win the Cup after being a no show for 2 straight playoff runs.

Should have stayed with the Pens and played with Crosby. That seemed to work well for him. In fact, he could be a 60 goal scorer if he stayed with Cindy.

Edited by GMRwings1983

He had 2 good assists in Game 1, so even if he's not scoring, he's still helping out and that's all that matters.

on top of that, watch that thoroughbred backcheck. i'd take him back on the wings...but i'd want it to be around $5mil. seeing as he's on a career duration contract at 6 or so per year, he's not coming back to detroit anytime soon if ever.

on top of that, watch that thoroughbred backcheck. i'd take him back on the wings...but i'd want it to be around $5mil. seeing as he's on a career duration contract at 6 or so per year, he's not coming back to detroit anytime soon if ever.

It's $5.275/year. Term is way too long, otherwise I'd love to have him. He played well for us, and we wouldn't have been in the Finals without him.

A few thoughts...

Stan Bowman has said on numerous occasions that Hossa's role on this team is to be the guy who leads the way towards a strong two-way game. He's the guy who out-hustles everyone back to help on D and that's what Bowman wants out of him. He's got tons of scoring depth, but those guys needed to learn from another scorer how to play a complete game and Hossa's greatly helped in that area.

He seems to be raising his scoring game thus far in the Stanley Cup Finals. 2 assists and a generally great performance in game 1 and the first goal in game 2...tough to say the guy isn't answering the call when it counts more than ever this year.

And sure, his scoring's been down, but he's played a different role on this team and no one watching and critiquing these games has been short of praise for Hossa's overall play. It's looking pretty likely that the Hawks are about to go up 2-0 on the Flyers in the Finals, and you've then got to think that there chances of winning are pretty damn likely. It's tough to rip on the guy when he's playing for Stanley Cup right now and we've been done for awhile.

Franzen's outscored him, sure, thanks primarily to a great single game effort. He was non-existent a great deal of the time in the playoffs and unlike Hossa, when Franzen's not scoring, he might as well not be on the ice.

Hossa's going to be great whenever he's on the ice, in every situation you can throw him into. He can score. He can be a playmaker. He's an excellent 2-way player. He never takes a shift off and he out-hustles everyone on the ice. He's a complete player.

I have no doubt that Hossa's head has hindered his offensive performance thus far in the playoffs after 3 years of questions and supposed "curses." It's got to bother him. But he's come into the Finals to win and again, he's answering the call thus far.

If they win it this year, thus silencing Hossa's critics and removing the "curse" and the pressure, watch out. He'll be better and better in the coming years when he's able to just get out there and play his game.

And I still wish he was a Wing...