#21 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

http://sports.yahoo....maining-content
Pretty much sums up what I think.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#22 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

A few thoughts...

Stan Bowman has said on numerous occasions that Hossa's role on this team is to be the guy who leads the way towards a strong two-way game. He's the guy who out-hustles everyone back to help on D and that's what Bowman wants out of him. He's got tons of scoring depth, but those guys needed to learn from another scorer how to play a complete game and Hossa's greatly helped in that area.

He seems to be raising his scoring game thus far in the Stanley Cup Finals. 2 assists and a generally great performance in game 1 and the first goal in game 2...tough to say the guy isn't answering the call when it counts more than ever this year.

And sure, his scoring's been down, but he's played a different role on this team and no one watching and critiquing these games has been short of praise for Hossa's overall play. It's looking pretty likely that the Hawks are about to go up 2-0 on the Flyers in the Finals, and you've then got to think that there chances of winning are pretty damn likely. It's tough to rip on the guy when he's playing for Stanley Cup right now and we've been done for awhile.

Franzen's outscored him, sure, thanks primarily to a great single game effort. He was non-existent a great deal of the time in the playoffs and unlike Hossa, when Franzen's not scoring, he might as well not be on the ice.

Hossa's going to be great whenever he's on the ice, in every situation you can throw him into. He can score. He can be a playmaker. He's an excellent 2-way player. He never takes a shift off and he out-hustles everyone on the ice. He's a complete player.

I have no doubt that Hossa's head has hindered his offensive performance thus far in the playoffs after 3 years of questions and supposed "curses." It's got to bother him. But he's come into the Finals to win and again, he's answering the call thus far.

If they win it this year, thus silencing Hossa's critics and removing the "curse" and the pressure, watch out. He'll be better and better in the coming years when he's able to just get out there and play his game.

And I still wish he was a Wing...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

Well, make it 3 goals now.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

A few thoughts...

I like how you think. I agree 100%.

3 points in 2 games. Whoo hoo!
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#25 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

I'd still take him on the Wings in a heartbeat.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

I still say he should have stayed with the Pens. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

me too, because then we would have won in 6 last year

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

me too, because then we would have won in 6 last year

What I meant is that with Crosby he could put up the best numbers of his career year after year.

That 2008 playoff was the best he ever had by a mile.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:14 PM

^ This.

It's a catch-22 and you can look at Hossa being there presently in different ways, no way being either right or wrong. He's doing some things here and there to contribute to wins (just like he did, albeit in an inconsistent manner, with Wings wings last playoffs when he wasn't scoring - i.e. Game 1 or 2 of the SCF where he had two assists in a win), but he's getting paid to put up points and score.

If he keeps this pace up, or lack thereof, on the scoresheet and Chicago wins, I don't think it's out of reach to say that Chicago won in spite of him, if you're going to look at he gets paid to score goals etc.

You also have to consider that the Blackhawks are a deep, very well rounded team that does not need to depend on Hossa to score goals.

Getting paid to score goals? I do not know if that is the right attitude for Hossa, or anyone to have. With that attitude, who is to say that he would not be selfish and take bad shots, when others are wide open? It's a team sport and he gets paid, not only to score goals, but to contribute to helping his team win games.

I have a hard time writing off a scenario where Hossa gets two assists in a Blackhawks win as simply a case where the team won despite him.