• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

Blog says that Lidstrom has signed a 1 year deal

Rate this topic

says lids has signed a 1 year deal. The source should come from persons close to lidstrom.

Do not know if it has been out in the media when I was without internet this weekend but:

Hopes that Lidstrom would connect to the SSK dashed greatly by the information I received about his signatory another year with Detroit. The data come from people in the vicinity Lidstrom family and should therefore be good.

http://www.sskoveralltalltid.se/

Guest mindfly

It's not official, these sources from people around the family has failed before on other players and in other sports.... still waiting...

Edited by mindfly

I'm hoping it's true, but like others I will wait to celebrate until I see it from a reliable source. I know blogs are quickly becoming "the new media" (I'm in PR and we deal more with bloggers these days than with journalists and traditional media), but anyone with rudimentary writing skills and a computer can start a blog and say whatever they want, whether it's true or not, so you have to be careful who you trust.

Of course there are legitimate, respected and knowlegeable bloggers out there (I hope I'm one of them! LOL). I still want to hear news like this from the Wings themselves.

Edited by Yzermania19

Ohh.I'm waiting for TSN or CBC to report this before I rejoice.

yup. and if he signs for a number that effectively handcuffs holland from signing some help for when he does decide to retire...once again, no rejoicing. but in saying that, detroit is gonna be hard pressed on the back end when he hangs em' up.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/source_captain_nicklas_lidstro.html

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom continues to be an elite talent at an age when most players are retired or their skills have deteriorated considerably.

Seldom in NHL history has a 40-year-old had so much impact on a team’s fortunes.

The Red Wings are Stanley Cup contenders with Lidstrom. They would be hard-pressed to make that claim without him. Fortunately for them, they won’t have to worry about life without Lidstrom, for at least one more year.

A source told Booth Newspapers on Monday that Lidstrom has decided to return for another season. The club is expected to finalize a one-year contract extension this week with the six-time Norris Trophy winner as the league’s top defenseman

Lidstrom always has kept his cards close to the vest. Even teammates are left in the dark.

But those who have played with him for any length of time, as well as many in the Red Wings front office, have been supremely confident that he would return.

Why? It’s simple, they said. Because he still has a lot of good hockey in him.

Lidstrom, for only the second time in 12 seasons, was not a Norris Trophy finalist in 2009-10. That was because of a slow start. He was one of the top defensemen in the league the second half of the season. He finished tied for eighth in points among defensemen (49) and tied for seventh among defensemen in plus-minus rating (plus-22).

That’s all the more impressive considering the team surrounding him wasn’t nearly as strong the first three-quarters of the season due to a plethora of injuries.

He once again averaged more than 25 minutes a game, playing all situations and against opponents’ top lines.

He played in all 82 games. He has missed only 34 out of a possible 1,693 games, regular and playoffs, since entering the NHL in 1991. That is a remarkable indication of his durability.

It is no coincidence that the Red Wings have qualified for the playoffs in each of Lidstrom’s 18 seasons (19 in a row overall).

That streak surely will be extended. With high-end players in Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen and a strong supporting cast, the Red Wings remain one of the more talented teams in the Western Conference.

They will start 2010-11 with virtually the same team that lost to the San Jose Sharks in the second round of the playoffs.

Unrestricted free-agent forwards Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi are expected to re-sign. Restricted free agents Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader will be back.

The Red Wings won’t have much salary-cap space. The exact figure will depend on what Lidstrom earns (probably between $5 million and $6 million, a slight reduction from his $7.45 million salary) and how much the $56.8 million cap rises (most anticipate it will be around $58 million).

They will sign a forward, perhaps a third-line player with some offensive potential -- if they have the cap space. If money is tight, they hope to at least acquire a scrappy, inexpensive, fourth-line type.

They might sign a low-priced veteran defenseman to compete with rookie Jakub Kindl for the No. 6 spot, if they don’t re-sign Andreas Lilja.

There will be no significant trades or any kind of shake-up this offseason. They expect improvement to come from within.

Lidstrom surely expects they will be better. It undoubtedly factored into his decision.

Wayne Gretzky retired at 38. Mario Lemieux’s last productive season was at age 37. Steve Yzerman’s final game came eight days before his 41st birthday, but he wasn’t nearly the same player after undergoing radical knee surgery (osteotomy) four years earlier.

Mark Messier, Ray Bourque, Chris Chelios and Igor Larionov all were effective into their 40s.

But they didn’t have the same impact at that age that Lidstrom does.

When Lidstrom was cleaning out his locker on May 10, he hinted at a return by saying he wasn’t sure if he had accomplished everything he wanted.

He simply was too good to retire

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I just jizzed in my pants. Thank you Captain!

The entire Red Wings nation is going to need to stock up on Tide after hearing of this news...

Lids between 5 and 6M is glorious. If the cap goes up 2M as rumors are predicting, that extra 2M of Lids' salary could be huge for the Wings.

Its interesting to see the article say definitively that all of Eaves, Miller, Helm, and Abdelkader will be back. Abby and Helm are given, IMO, but I thought it was generally accepted that one of Eaves or Miller would have to move on...

Lids between 5 and 6M is glorious. If the cap goes up 2M as rumors are predicting, that extra 2M of Lids' salary could be huge for the Wings.

Its interesting to see the article say definitively that all of Eaves, Miller, Helm, and Abdelkader will be back. Abby and Helm are given, IMO, but I thought it was generally accepted that one of Eaves or Miller would have to move on...

I don't think Eaves would be the one to go anywhere, and Miller was a pretty good addition to our Powerplay, all things considered.

Regardless, YEAH LIDS!!

well, both will be qualified, so unless one or both are signed to offer sheets... they will both be back... I think they will have to fight in camp with a UFA 4th line guy and one of Ritola/Miller/Eaves will then be traded or waived and sent down, with my guess leaning strongly towards Miller, Ritola or the UFA signing, as I really think Eaves solidified his spot on the team...

back to topic at hand though - although not horribly shocking, this is amazing news about Lids!

Edited by stevkrause

Guest mindfly

Well not official but there have been more sources saying he will return than that he won't :thumbup:

Links to this story are popping up all over Twitter - Ansar Khan is reporting that Nick Lidstrom is has decided to come back for one more year and will finalize a contract this week;

A source told Booth Newspapers on Monday that Lidstrom has decided to return for another season. The club is expected to finalize a one-year contract extension this week with the six-time Norris Trophy winner as the leagues top defenseman.

Source: Nicklas Lidstrom will return to Red Wings for one-year contract

Edited by Yzermania19