• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

Blog says that Lidstrom has signed a 1 year deal

Rate this topic

I just heard them say on 97.1 The Ticket that it's for between $5-6 million, but closer to $6 million. It's a "hometown discount," but not much.

I was hoping for it to be somewhere between 4 and 5.....but eh, not too bad.

Can a mod please just leave this thread here and let it be... if you keep moving them, new ones are just going to keep popping up... if anything, move the old ones back and merge them with this thread, then when it goes official later today/this week, just change the title and lock it.

I was hoping for it to be somewhere between 4 and 5.....but eh, not too bad.

Agreed, but until it becomes official, for all we know, it will be closer to 5....

I just heard them say on 97.1 The Ticket that it's for between $5-6 million, but closer to $6 million. It's a "hometown discount," but not much.

Under $7m and it's a discount.

Under $6m and it's a steal.

Under $5m and I'm ready to paint a mural downtown of pig-snouted Lidstrom with the Cup.

Especially with the cap increasing.

With Lidstrom dealing exclusively with Holland (no agents), I don't think any leaks of dollar figures at this point should be taken seriously.

Edited by egroen

Under $7m and it's a discount.

Under $6m and it's a steal.

Under $5m and I'm ready to paint a mural downtown of pig-snouted Lidstrom with the Cup.

Lidstrom < 40 years old, yes

Lidstrom > 40 years old, no.

You have to face the fact that he's not in his prime anymore, stats will undoubtedly drop and he has no right to command a gigantic salary at this point.

Guest mindfly

Now swedish news caught it to, however they just quote from mlive, i guess we have to wait a few days for lidstrom's own words

http://www.detnews.comDetroit --

Red Wings captain Nick Lidstrom will return for the 2010-11 season, much to the great relief of the entire organization.

Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.

Lidstrom, at 40, remains one of the elite defensemen in the NHL. He played in all 82 games last season and was a plus-22.

The Red Wings have reached the playoffs in each of the 18 seasons Lidstrom been in the league.

With Lidstrom in the fold, Wings general manager Ken Holland can now turn his attention to signing unrestricted free agents Todd Bertuzzi and Tomas Holmstrom, as well as restricted free agents Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller.

/article/20100601/SPORTS0103/6010384/Lidstrom-will-return-to-Wings

Guest mindfly

Well that does it for me, he's on board for next season.. not too comfortable with the 6million caphit though

In his prime or not, he's still an elite NHL defenseman and ONE of the best, whereas in his prime, he was THE best, bar none

TOP 10 Scorers From Last Year

D Mike Green WSH - 5.25mil

D Duncan Keith CHI - 5.5mil

D Drew Doughty LA - 3.475mil (still on entry level - this is with bonuses)

D Dan Boyle SJ - 6.67mil

D Chris Pronger PHI - 6.25mil

D Tobias Enstrom ATL - 3.75mil

D Sergei Gonchar PIT - 5mil

D Nicklas Lidstrom DET - ?

D Mark Streit NYI - 4.1mil

D Tomas Kaberle TOR - 4.25 mil

To suggest that he deserves a penny less than 5 million with this comparison in mind, is downright insulting.

EDIT - He deserves whatever he wants and although I'd be elated if he took less on his own accord, we should not expect it, nor do we have ANY right to be angry if he does not - he has earned this and DESERVES it.

Edited by stevkrause

You have to face the fact that he's not in his prime anymore, stats will undoubtedly drop and he has no right to command a gigantic salary at this point.

While x>40 usually merits some truth with most NHL players, Lidstrom is nothing like most NHL players. Last year he was put on a team that was 50% Grand Rapids Griffins for half the year, and still put up elite defensman numbers. Tied for 8th in defensman scoring, 7th in +/-, 11th in time on ice per game, tied for 12th in power play points, plays on both power play and penalty killing units etc etc. Between 5M and 6M for those kind of numbers and his leadership is a sweet deal.

You do realize Lidstrom is one of the greatest defenseman in the entire history of the league, right?

So an out-of-his-prime Lidstrom is still one of the Top 10 defenseman in the league.

Bourque, Chelios and MacInnis all were runner-ups for the Norris at the age of 40. They were obviously not in their prime either, but when your 'prime' is amongst the best in the game ever, even a steep drop leaves a great player.

I'd love to see Holland play 'hardball' with Lidstrom like some posters here seem to want, and refuse to sign him for $6m, and then watch Lidstrom lead the Blue Jackets to the Cup. Anaheim thought Pronger was getting too old as well.

While x>40 usually merits some truth with most NHL players, Lidstrom is nothing like most NHL players. Last year he was put on a team that was 50% Grand Rapids Griffins for half the year, and still put up elite defensman numbers. Tied for 8th in defensman scoring, 7th in +/-, 11th in time on ice per game, tied for 12th in power play points, plays on both power play and penalty killing units etc etc. Between 5M and 6M for those kind of numbers and his leadership is a sweet deal.

exactly -

In his prime or not, he's still an elite NHL defenseman and ONE of the best, whereas in his prime, he was THE best, bar none

D Dan Boyle SJ - 6.67mil

To suggest that he deserves a penny less than 5 million with this comparison in mind, is downright insulting.

EDIT - He deserves whatever he wants and although I'd be elated if he took less on his own accord, we should not expect it, nor do we have ANY right to be angry if he does not - he has earned this and DESERVES it.

Guest screwdahawks

Glad to hear he is coming back. Now all we need is for someone to PLEASE, convince Babcock to pair him with STUART. With that pair you pick your poison entering the Wing's zone. Lidstrom (the wizard) ya can't make a play against or Stuart(the bull) who will knock you on your ass.

Glad to hear he is coming back. Now all we need is for someone to PLEASE, convince Babcock to pair him with STUART. With that pair you pick your poison entering the Wing's zone. Lidstrom (the wizard) ya can't make a play against or Stuart(the bull) who will knock you on your ass.

Although your reasoning is solid, I think your pairings are off - Stuart has proven most effective as a number 3-4 d-man and Kronwall is the heir apparent, so I think he should play along with Lids for at least a full year and the same dynamic applies:

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson-UFA/Lilja/Kindl

UFA/Lilja/Kindl

Although your reasoning is solid, I think your pairings are off - Stuart has proven most effective as a number 3-4 d-man and Kronwall is the heir apparent, so I think he should play along with Lids for at least a full year and the same dynamic applies:

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson-UFA/Lilja/Kindl

UFA/Lilja/Kindl

Lidstrom-Kronwall would be insane.

Kronners seriously has the potential to be a superb defenseman, and is on his way there. Just look at the numbers- continuous improvement, save last year where he was injury-limited. He's improved markedly since even the '08 season.

GREAT SUCCESS!

If it's for around 6 mil, that's a very nice hometown discount imo! Anyone who believed he would sign for 5 mil or less needs to see a doctor! Because you're crazy! In the head!

i don't feel 6 million is a hometown discount at all. lidstrom has made more money in his career than 99% of the people on this board will ever see. if he seriously wants the wings to have a chance at a cup this year, he could have signed for less. bringing back lidstrom is obviously the right move, but to be excited over the reported cap number is pretty absurd.

i don't feel 6 million is a hometown discount at all. lidstrom has made more money in his career than 99% of the people on this board will ever see. if he seriously wants the wings to have a chance at a cup this year, he could have signed for less. bringing back lidstrom is obviously the right move, but to be excited over the reported cap number is pretty absurd.

^ is more than fair -

D Dan Boyle SJ - 6.67mil