• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Stanley Cup Droughts

Rate this topic

So, after Chicago's win last night, I was thinking about the possibility of them ending the longest Stanley Cup drought in the league (49 years I think), leaving Toronto with the distinction (43 years now).

Then I thought to myself, I remember when Detroit won in 1997, then ended something like 40 years and New York ended something like 54 years in 1994.

So then I looked back and realized that prior to the Rangers winning in 1994, no original 6 team (other than Montreal) had won a cup for at least 22 years and the droughts looked like this:

- Boston - 22 years

- Toronto - 27 years

- Chicago - 33 years

- Detroit - 39 years

- New York - 54 years

Toronto might not only be left with the longest drought, but they may end up being the only original 6 team that hasn't won the cup since expansion.

So, after Chicago's win last night, I was thinking about the possibility of them ending the longest Stanley Cup drought in the league (49 years I think), leaving Toronto with the distinction (43 years now).

Then I thought to myself, I remember when Detroit won in 1997, then ended something like 40 years and New York ended something like 54 years in 1994.

So then I looked back and realized that prior to the Rangers winning in 1994, no original 6 team (other than Montreal) had won a cup for at least 22 years and the droughts looked like this:

- Boston - 22 years

- Toronto - 27 years

- Chicago - 33 years

- Detroit - 39 years

- New York - 54 years

Toronto might not only be left with the longest drought, but they may end up being the only original 6 team that hasn't won the cup since expansion.

It's crazy Toronto has not won a Cup since there was only 6 teams in the league.

Ugh, I almost feel bad for their fans.

It's crazy Toronto has not won a Cup since there was only 6 teams in the league.

Ugh, I almost feel bad for their fans.

You would expect more respect from the management with it being a team with so much history. I understand its difficult to win the Stanley Cup but this is unacceptable.

You would expect more respect from the management with it being a team with so much history. I understand its difficult to win the Stanley Cup but this is unacceptable.

Yeah, but look at the rest. Detroit is the only team that has had recent success and before that, they were in the midst of a very long drought as well.

Boston - 2 cups in the last 69 years, last one came 38 years ago

New York - 1 cup in the last 70 years (ouch)

Chicago - 1 cup in the last 72 years (ouch, but good chance to get one this year)

Even Montreal, as storied a franchise as they have been and they have had more recent success, they haven't gone through the long droughts every other team has, but still, they only have 1 cut in the last 23 years with their last cup coming 17 years ago....never know how big that number 17 may become.

Ever heard of Harold Ballard before? He basically cursed them with all the stupid s*** he did in the 70's and 80's. Every good young player they had he traded for absolutely nothing. Sittler, Lanny McDonald etc.,

Ever heard of Harold Ballard before? He basically cursed them with all the stupid s*** he did in the 70's and 80's. Every good young player they had he traded for absolutely nothing. Sittler, Lanny McDonald etc.,

Its really a shame. Toronto has some of the most rabid fans I've ever seen, despite their shortcomings. I know I'll be cheering when they finally win a Cup.

See: Chicago Cubs, who have not won the world series since before WWI, before cars were mass-manufactured.

Its really a shame. Toronto has some of the most rabid fans I've ever seen, despite their shortcomings. I know I'll be cheering when they finally win a Cup.

Ehh.. I still would like to catch them in my lifetime. We just need two more!!!

Guest Shoreline

See: Chicago Cubs, who have not won the world series since before WWI, before cars were mass-manufactured.

Pretty much. I think the Cubs are exactly WHY so many sports fans in general are superstitious. ;)

Stanley Cup droughts are the reason I am so into this series. With the Wings out, it is a trip down memory lane of the 1997 Redwings ending their 42 year drought. I can remember my 42 year old father laying on the floor, screaming like a little kid as the clock wound down to and the horn sounded.

One can only wonder how many middle aged men, who have waited their whole lives to see their team win the Cup will be doing the same when this series winds down.

...Alright, enough reminiscing for now. :P