• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Lidstrom Signs 1-Year Contract Extension

Rate this topic

Keep in mind, no one has confirmed a cap hit of 7M. Holland wouldn't disclose the $$ amount when he announced the re-sign.

BUT he did say this:

Holland declined to reveal the value of the deal, expect to say that Lidstrom has taken a pay decrease from his $7.45 million salary. A source said Lidstrom will earn slightly more than the $6 million his defense partner, Brian Rafalski, earns.

"He's helped give us some extra (salary) cap space,'' Holland said. "Hopefully the cap goes up a little and it gives us a little wiggle room to improve the depth of our team.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_sign_captain_nicklas.html

This leads me to believe that Lidstrom signed for something like 6.2M? And that Holland still hopes to improve the team with an external move.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest Heaten

Good to hear. Hope the number is around $4.5 mil. Either way, just glad to have my man back!

Yeah I admit that appears not to be much, and they probably won't get any offers from other teams'... Still I wanted ken holland to go for a solid 2.5-3M third liner...all in vain now with lidstrom's 7Million contract, though.

I don't think that a 2.5-3 million dollar 3rd liner was ever in the mix with Lids returning.

I believe they will go after a Dallas Drake type...so 0.75 million cap hit at most to play 4th line.

Keep in mind, no one has confirmed a cap hit of 7M. Holland wouldn't disclose the $$ amount when he announced the re-sign.

BUT he did say this:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_sign_captain_nicklas.html

This leads me to believe that Lidstrom signed for something like 6.2M? And that Holland still hopes to improve the team with an external move.

And he SHOULD make more than Rafalski.

Bob McKenzie says it is for a "touch" over 6 million.

I am happy with that number.

For the poster that posted that Lids was making 7 million for the past 10 years and couldn't he take a pay cut. Just to let you know Lidstrom has been taking a pay cut his all career to keep this organization intact. Any other team would of paid 8 million and up for Lidstroms services in the past 10 years.

6 million for one year is a good deal IMO. He just took a pay cut of 1.5 million $, will play a major role in the lineup and easily is the best D in the league.

For all those people that are complaining about the pay cut wasn't enough, let me see you guys take a pay cut from your jobs.

I have to admit, I'm disappointed it cost so much to bring him back. I'm happy he's here, and there is no one really to replace him that's available for less. Doesn't mean I can't be a little dismayed that he didn't take more of a hometown discount. Another quality free agent can only help his chances of getting another Cup.

EDIT: wrote this when Free Press was reporting a 7 mill deal...6.2 is very OK with me.

Edited by AtomicPunk

I have to admit, I'm disappointed it cost so much to bring him back. I'm happy he's here, and there is no one really to replace him that's available for less. Doesn't mean I can't be a little dismayed that he didn't take more of a hometown discount. Another quality free agent can only help his chances of getting another Cup.

The real quality free agents were never an option for the Red Wings unless Nick retired and then it wouldn't matter because the team would be far worse anyways.

For all those people that are complaining about the pay cut wasn't enough, let me see you guys take a pay cut from your jobs.

I'm just happy he's coming back and don't really care too much about the cap hit, but telling someone who has close to $100 million dollars to take a pay cut vs someone who won't make $1 million in their lifetime to take a pay cut is just a little different.

I'm just happy he's coming back and don't really care too much about the cap hit, but telling someone who has close to $100 million dollars to take a pay cut vs someone who won't make $1 million in their lifetime to take a pay cut is just a little different.

Agreed - I don't think he should have signed for peanuts like some have suggested, but it is definitely not the same thing - if he HAD signed for 7, he would have deserved it, but now that the reports are coming out that it's only a shade over 6, it's a great signing...

If you want to blame anyone for the salary being so high, blame Rafalski. His 6 million is the reason Lids is getting 6.? million, Lids is a better player in every category compared to Rafalski and is getting the higher salary for it. Anyways we all know some team would dump 9 million to him if he wanted to hit free agency.

BUT he did say this:

Wouldn't have thought the need to be earning more than your defensive partner was such a big deal...

For the poster that posted that Lids was making 7 million for the past 10 years and couldn't he take a pay cut. Just to let you know Lidstrom has been taking a pay cut his all career to keep this organization intact. Any other team would of paid 8 million and up for Lidstroms services in the past 10 years.

6 million for one year is a good deal IMO. He just took a pay cut of 1.5 million $, will play a major role in the lineup and easily is the best D in the league.

well i understand where you are coming from but again most if not all of us don't make 1million dollars or even 100k dollars in our jobs.

I would hesitate to call Pronger's salary a great deal -- If Pronger retires, can't play due to injury, is sent down to the minors or even dies anytime in the next 7 years (age 42), Philly still has to factor in his full cap hit.

If $6.2m is indeed the cap hit for Lidstrom, I am very, very happy. :yowza:

alright boys, lets quit raggin on rafalski. i think people are starting to forget how good he really is. that will happen when you have to play in the shadow of one of the best D of all time.

Add me to the list of "crazy" people that don't think $6 million is an adequate discount considering the amount of money Lidstrom has made in his career and the cap situation with the team. He could have easily taken $5 million and it would have had no effect on his family or his lifestyle.

I can't believe the greed of some people on this site. The Red Wings just signed Nick Lidstrom, the best defensman of this era, and everyone is all "what a greedy person for not signing with the legendary Wings for half his value."

Maybe we can find the thread that wondered what life w/o Lidstrom would be like.

It wouldn't suprise me to find some that were threatening to jump off a bridge in that tread be the same ones losing their minds over Nick's signing price in this thread.

I think he is still a top 5 dman, and to me this is what those types of players make. It's one year, lower would have been nice but I have no problem thinking Holland knows his s*** by now.

Guest mindfly

Yeah imagine a 5million contract and the cap goes up 2million as reports indicated... that would improve this team in a very good way.

Add me to the list of "crazy" people that don't think $6 million is an adequate discount considering the amount of money Lidstrom has made in his career and the cap situation with the team. He could have easily taken $5 million and it would have had no effect on his family or his lifestyle.

He could have taken 8 million too.