• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Lidstrom Signs 1-Year Contract Extension

Rate this topic

Stupid analogy. How is you life going to change from making 7.5 million a year versus 4 million. You're still rich as f***. 50,000 versus 26,000 is a huge change in lifestyle, though.

Oh I don't think it's that stupid of an analogy - how many people have the skill set of a generational, future hall of fame, hockey player?

If you're making 50,000 a year - you're a recent graduate with a BA in Business handling some type of logistic supply chain or low end analytics and can be replaced by the other 200,000 recent graduates that year with a similar skill set. Or your a mid-level manager who worked themselves up in a manufacturing job from the floor. Also, a very replacable skill set.

The difference being your skills as a hockey player have a shelf life of about 20 years with the final eight being a slow degradation making you less valuable. The work life of a 50k mid-level business analyst? 50 years. And additionally - the longer you work, the more valuable you become - not the opposite. Lidstrom's source of income is non-existent other than interest. He's done working after hockey. So asking him to take a pay cut at this junction is cutting his earning potential drastically going forward.

Like I said earlier - all it takes is a recession or poor business decision and he's no longer a multi-millionaire. Please don't make me cite the long list of backrupt ex star athletes who have suffered this exact fate.

Guest micah

KrazyGangsta, on 01 June 2010 - 01:04 PM, said:

For all those people that are complaining about the pay cut wasn't enough, let me see you guys take a pay cut from your jobs.

I did, and I continue to. I choose to work for an employer who I like and respect, even though they simply cannot aford to pay me fair market value. I could double my income by jumping ship. There are things that are more important to me than money. I love my job and I'm thrilled that I have a chance to do a job that I enjoy.

When Lidstrom signed for two years at $7.45m in 2008 the cap was at $50.3 million.

His salary was 14.8% of the cap.

Today he is signing for $6.5m with a $56.8m cap.

Which is 11.4% of the cap.

So not only did he accept less money, but he accepted even less money when you factor in inflation of the cap.

His signing for $6.5m today is exactly the same as him signing for $5.73m 2 years ago -- yes, that is a very generous discount.

Or another way to look at it, if he were to demand the same money he *was* earning, it would be $8.4m -- so essentially, Lidstrom has come down on the price of his services by almost $2m in only two years.

tsn said lids signed for $6mil, which is even better. and like i stated in the other thread, the cap is allegedly going up by $2mil...so holland effectively has $3.5mil more to play with. and without signing williams and maltby, there's a couple more mil shed. abby, kindl and ritola could all be full time wings next season, all cheap players. as far as the cap goes, the wings are in good shape. wait for maltby, draper and ozzy to be on tampa next year and the prospects get to show what they're made of.

or a single Norris to date... whereas Nick has won 6...

hardly a fair comparison.

One of them will have a Norris Trophy and a one of them will most likely have a Stanley Cup ring. The most recent Norris Trophy and most recent Stanley Cup, which are the most important in determining their current value.

If you think that Lidstrom is still worth over 10 million dollars a year, fine. I won't ever be able to change your mind. But from where I'm sitting, the best defenseman this year and probably most years from this point forward, a 25 year old kid, just signed a contract that will take him into and throughout the prime of his career for a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. He did it because he loves the city and his team and because he wants to compete for the championship as often as is possible with the current salary cap. Duncan Keith will undoubtedly sacrifice more salary throughout his career than Lidstrom has. That's called character.

Mr. Lidstrom has been taking pay cuts for several years now. I know he has more than made enough money throughout his career, but are you really saying he's not worth it? There is not a defenseman in the NHL that brings to the table what Nick does! No one can argue that.

He is the most solid defenseman of this era--if not ever. Why he was not on the Norris list again this year is a mystery.

One of them will have a Norris Trophy and a one of them will most likely have a Stanley Cup ring. The most recent Norris Trophy and most recent Stanley Cup, which are the most important in determining their current value.

If you think that Lidstrom is still worth over 10 million dollars a year, fine. I won't ever be able to change your mind. But from where I'm sitting, the best defenseman this year and probably most years from this point forward, a 25 year old kid, just signed a contract that will take him into and throughout the prime of his career for a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. He did it because he loves the city and his team and because he wants to compete for the championship as often as is possible with the current salary cap. Duncan Keith will undoubtedly sacrifice more salary throughout his career than Lidstrom has. That's called character.

The implication being that Nick has no character? Well isn't that a nice thing to say about our captain and future Hall of Famer. "f*** that Lidstrom, he's a greedy prick."

I love how I say I'm rooting for the Hawks to win the Stanley Cup because it would mean something to my dad and that means I'm a traitor but saying Nick Lidstrom has no character and is essentially a money-hungry ******* is the mark of a "true" fan.

Edited by Electrophile

I don't think ANY player is worth over 10 in a salary cap era - But I will take Nick Lidstrom for 6-6.5 over Duncan Keith for 5.5 at this stage in their careers (not factoring potential, both raising and declining)

To ever question Nick's character is laughable at best and doesn't even warrant a response.

I don't think he's greedy, or an *******, or that he's sucking the life out of the team. That being said, I really wish he would have taken around 5 million. The team showed that they lack depth at the forward position, and an extra 1-1.5 million could go a long way. Either way, I'm definitely happy to have Lidstrom back. It's a big relief.

Guest mindfly

Now at $6.5....and even still.

Sources that it's 6.5?

Bob says "TSN is reporting Lidstrom's deal is worth a touch over $6 million for one year. Red Wings will realize more than $1 million in cap savings."

Are you just guessing it's 6.5?

Sources that it's 6.5?

Bob says "TSN is reporting Lidstrom's deal is worth a touch over $6 million for one year. Red Wings will realize more than $1 million in cap savings."

Are you just guessing it's 6.5?

Just replying to Aussie_Wings post stating $6.5 million. That number is *not* confirmed.

And Lidstrom doesn't have character? You must be out of your mind.

The cap doesn't rise because of inflation (only because of inflation, anyway), it rises because of increased revenue. Therefor, this argument is void.

It's void only if the salary cap is void.

But unfortunately, every single team has to abide by it -- so you are dealing with a set equal number, across all teams -- essentially operating within a controlled bubble. Salaries are absolutely relative to the cap, and there are no two ways about it.

Call it inflation/increased revenues/whatever - it is what it is.

If Lidstrom felt he was worth what he was 2 years ago, he would have demanded $8.4 million. Or do you think agents, players and gms do not factor the relative cap into their contract discussions? ;)

Now at $6.5....and even still.

Thanks... No hit against you, I was reading posts and googlin sources thinking, ok which figure.

Yes, $6.5 is still a good number in retrospect. I am thinking a lot of the cringes some of the members having is they were HOPING for a big discount so the money could of been used in combination for the raise in the cap to go out and sign a few higher end UFA's - yet, there is no guarantee that is how things would of played out - too many things would have to fall into place for wishful thinking.

Guest mindfly

Bob mckenzie is GOD and a "touch over 6million" is 6.1-6.25 or something not more than that....

Edited by mindfly

Duncan Keith is making 8M next year, and will for the next three years. That's hardy a financial sacrifice for the good of the city and team as you imply. Lidstrom hasn't made that kind of money since before the lockout, back when he was playing like one of the top three best defensmen in NHL history. The only reason why Keith's caphit is at 5.5 is because its a longterm, depreciating contract. Would you have preferred Holland sign Lidstrom to a longterm contract so we can have a caphit of 4M for this year, as well as several years after he's retired?