• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Lidstrom Signs 1-Year Contract Extension

Rate this topic

anyone think Tatar can crack the line-up...?

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

* Tomas Holmstrom ($2.125m) / * Todd Bertuzzi ($1.650m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.900m) / * Darren Helm ($0.799m)

* Adam Burish ($0.775m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

* Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $56.8m; PAYROLL: $58.112m; CAP ROOM: $-1.102m BONUSES: $0.210m

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Tatar

Burish-Abdelkader-Helm

Draper

Stuart-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lidstrom

Lilja-Ericcson

Kindl

Tatar clip ...............

Exactly.

And how many millions of dollars do you think the Wings have made off of Lidstrom in his career?

This deal was made in the real world, one apparently a lot of people here don't live in. If Nick is going to split up his family, and play another grueling year where he could get injured (like getting speared in the balls, for example), he should be compensated at or near market value for that.

Boo ******* hoo that he didn't play for millions of dollars less than he's worth. That's not his job. His job is to play defense, and he's proven himself to be pretty f-ing good at it.

There are a lot of teams in the league who would've fallen all over themselves to get a 40 year old Lidstrom in their lineup. They probably have already worked out the math on how many more wins that'd get 'em in a season.

And it's not our job to nominate the guy for sainthood because he's a good hockey player.

Here's the bottom line. Nick certainly had a lot of influence in determining his salary. He could have hurt the team by asking for more, he could have helped us improve by taking less. No matter what he decided, it wouldn't likely have much (if any) impact on his long term financial security. What he chose to do was pretty much the minimum needed in order to essentially stay the same.

That disappoints me. I had hoped he was better than that. I don't hate him, or think he's a greedy prick. I'm still happy he came back and I'll still miss him when he does finally retire. I still appreciate everything he's done in the past. I realize he'll likely still be one of the premier defensemen in the league this year. I'm not asking anyone else to dislike him, nor suggesting we shouldn't retire his number when he's done. I know he wasn't obligated to take a huge discount. I know he had every right to take what he did.

But he could have done more for the team; it wouldn't have hurt him any to do it; and he chose not to. I have every right to be disappointed by that.

After reading the comments that some of you have left regarding Lidstrom re-signing for next year I'am actually embarrassed to be associated with you. Have you been so spoiled over the past 15 years that the fact that Holland signed our best player to a $1.2 mill discount is hurting the team? The way i see it the only way our team could be worse next year is if Lidstrom retired or asked for more than he made last year. He could have demanded the league max and forced Holland to tear the team apart to sign him, because he is worth the league max. He could have retired and the wings could hope that they find his replacement in the draft sometime in the next....30 years, players like him come around once every generation or so and the fact that he played for the wings his entire career is a blessing. If you guys don't want the best player of the past 20 years there are 29 other teams that will gladly take him off our hands even at 40 y/o. Had he retired could we had a shot a getting Kovi? sure, but last time i checked Kovi doesn't play 28 min/game and wont shut down the other teams best players every game. Lidstrom has the kind of impact on games that Crosby and Ovechkin have and Holland signed him for close to $3 mill less than those guys are getting. I'am thanking the Hockey gods everyday(alot today)for allowing the wings to have players like Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk because every other team had a shot at drafting these guy and the wings could have the success that the Florida Panthers has had. Those of you that are complaining I want you to go root for the Panthers or the Thrashers next year so you can be humbled and because you don't deserve to be associated with the Red Wings. You are the reason that every other fan base can't stand us thinks we are entitled to everything. Could he have signed for 4 or 5 million? yes, but the fact that he still want to play and still wants to play for the wings is worth 6.2 million dollars. If you want to call him up and pay him 2 million out of your own pocket so he could sign for 4 mill im sure he would take you up on it.

Thank you for reading my rant and if you are very happy that Lids is just coming back and that you think Holland will work his magic and the wings will be a cup contender next year then this was not about you, i still have respect for you and if you are ever in Wyoming you are welcome to come watch a wings game at my house. :champs: <-- in 2011

See ya in Wyoming :thumbup:

He was a +20 on a team that was at around an even goal differential for almost the entire season last year.

Over the past 4 years his +/- has been dropping, who's to say he doesn't break even next year? Don't get me wrong i still think he is great, but i would much rather him take a little bit less. between 5-6 million would be my range.

He is a top 5 d-man. He deserves top-5 pay. Especially when there aren't that many elite defensemen in the league.

Who would you take over him? Doughty? Keith? Pronger? The list pretty much ends there.

Thus proving my point that he is no longer the top defenseman in the league. did i say he wasn't top 5? no, i clearly said he is no longer the best.

Doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his money considering a much weaker Rafalski is being paid 6 mil.

So clearly we should resign Helm, Eaves, and Abdelkader at 1.5 million because that's what draper makes and they are all better than him.

So you think he was overpaid in 08 whn he was being paid 7.4 mil and the team won a cup?

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the logic of this man?

I didn't say he was overpaid. I'm saying he needs to perform at that kind of level to prove that signing him to that much money this late in his career is worth it.

Umm I would consider taking Chara yeah. Seriously people Lids is a great defenseman still, but he is 40 and is clearly on the decline. I'm not saying he sucks, but people claiming he is worth the league maximum are just as dumb as the people saying he's only worth 4 million.

Signing anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5 million is a reasonable cap hit, no lower and no higher. You don't get paid for how good you were in teh past,Lids is not a league maximum player.

Agree. I wouldn't go above 6 million tho personally. But he IS NOT a league maximum player anymore.

I'm glad we resigned him, but i just wish it was for a little bit less so we'd have some more wiggle room if that right free agent was there or a good deal at the deadline. And I do think Nick is still good, but he's obviously declining as we all saw in the playoffs. Hopefully the long summer will help him out.

I would just like to point out that not one of the Norris Trophy finalists this year has over a 5.5 million dollar cap hit.

Keith will next year. Doughty almost certainly will in two years. Green shouldn't have even received a single Norris vote as he's not one of the league's ten or fifteen best D-men.

And the first two are RFA deals; Lidstrom is a UFA deal. Think about that for a second. An RFA can cost up to twice as much as a UFA for basically the same player sometimes.

And it's not our job to nominate the guy for sainthood because he's a good hockey player.

Here's the bottom line. Nick certainly had a lot of influence in determining his salary. He could have hurt the team by asking for more, he could have helped us improve by taking less. No matter what he decided, it wouldn't likely have much (if any) impact on his long term financial security. What he chose to do was pretty much the minimum needed in order to essentially stay the same.

That disappoints me. I had hoped he was better than that. I don't hate him, or think he's a greedy prick. I'm still happy he came back and I'll still miss him when he does finally retire. I still appreciate everything he's done in the past. I realize he'll likely still be one of the premier defensemen in the league this year. I'm not asking anyone else to dislike him, nor suggesting we shouldn't retire his number when he's done. I know he wasn't obligated to take a huge discount. I know he had every right to take what he did.

But he could have done more for the team; it wouldn't have hurt him any to do it; and he chose not to. I have every right to be disappointed by that.

You do have every right to judge and be disappointed in a person you don't know, because he wouldn't give up millions of dollars so you would have a better chance at watching people play a game and win a shiny trophy.

The people sitting back and shaking a finger and Lidstrom because he wouldn't play for millions less than his market value is pretty hilarious. He didn't have a gun to Holland's head. I'd like to see you guys in salary negotiations.

If you guys are so bent out of shape about it, blame the owners for the salary cap.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

You do have every right to judge and be disappointed in a person you don't know, because he wouldn't give up millions of dollars so you would have a better chance at watching people play a game and win a shiny trophy.

The people sitting back and shaking a finger and Lidstrom because he wouldn't play for millions less than his market value is pretty hilarious. He didn't have a gun to Holland's head. I'd like to see you guys in salary negotiations.

If you guys are so bent out of shape about it, blame the owners for the salary cap.

What examples are there in sports where somebody who was considered to be the best at their position in the league took an insanely generous pay cut?

His contract was fair. Simply fair. What other deals have happened that were "incredible generous"?

Kenny is a businessman but he also wants his players to be fairly compensated based on their market value. Nick is the best defenseman on the team and the Wings along with many other organizations structure their salary so that the best are also the highest paid. Those who wanted Nick to get around 5 mil need to understand that Kenny simply wouldn't allow it based on how the Wings conduct business.

One thing that I kind of don't like is Nick saying he'll take it year by year. I kind of wish he would just say, "This will be my last year."

He could say that, but what if he feels after this year "hey you know what, I still want to play" and decides to come back? There's no reason for him to go out and say something like that and we can't ask him to. He still has a lot of hockey left in him so it's all about motivation for him, and I'm sure it's hard to know exactly how motivated you will be in a year.

Keith will next year. Doughty almost certainly will in two years. Green shouldn't have even received a single Norris vote as he's not one of the league's ten or fifteen best D-men.

And the first two are RFA deals; Lidstrom is a UFA deal. Think about that for a second. An RFA can cost up to twice as much as a UFA for basically the same player sometimes.

Keith's cap figure next year will be 5.551 million and will continue to be so until he is 37 years old. Think about that for a second. As far as Doughty, that remains to be seen. I'm fairly certain that no one could have foreseen Keith taking such a low salary. Who's to say Doughty won't do the same?

Over the past 4 years his +/- has been dropping, who's to say he doesn't break even next year? Don't get me wrong i still think he is great, but i would much rather him take a little bit less. between 5-6 million would be my range.

Top-5 is only great now? And his +/- was so mundane in comparison this recent year because the team was so god-awful for the majority of it. No ******* s*** he isn't going to have a career year.

Thus proving my point that he is no longer the top defenseman in the league. did i say he wasn't top 5? no, i clearly said he is no longer the best.

Top-5 IS being a top defenseman in the league. You have ridiculously high standards.

So clearly we should resign Helm, Eaves, and Abdelkader at 1.5 million because that's what draper makes and they are all better than him.

My point is he shouldn't have to make less than a guy like Rafalski (who also has a NTC to boot) when he plays so much better.

I didn't say he was overpaid. I'm saying he needs to perform at that kind of level to prove that signing him to that much money this late in his career is worth it.

If he played at his level in 08, why wouldn't he deserve 7.4 mil like in 08? And how would that hurt the team when they won the cup with that exorbitant cap hit.

Agree. I wouldn't go above 6 million tho personally. But he IS NOT a league maximum player anymore.

He was never paid league max in the salary cap world.

Bannedforlife: I find it strange you compare the salaries of Keith and Lidstrom career-wise when Lidstrom has not had a salary cap to worry about for the majority of his career. I can only imagine the kind of moolah that would be thrown at Keith if he played in the 90s.

He's won 4 Stanley Cups for this team and has given discounts in the past. I think he's done plenty for this team.

The disdain over just a few hundred thousand dollars or a million dollars is absolutely insane in here. Some of you all have fricken lost your minds and are so spoiled. You all are being ridiculous.

Guest mindfly

#5 Nicklas Lidstrom 2010/2011 Stats:

82GP 10G 65A 75pts +38

Norris Trophy Winner

Stanley Cup Winner

Announce his Retirement

THAT, I want...please.

I don't what to sound like a greedy fan, just a hypothetical question.

But does anyone else think that if Lids really wanted to win this year, then he would sign for 1 million to allow a lucrative free agent to be signed?

Oh well, welcome back :)

Why does money have to be the only way that the organization can show its immense gratitude and respect for this particular person? Haven't the fans of Detroit demonstrated just how much they do in fact appreciate his balls over the past 18 seasons? It just seems like in these troubled financial times, especially in the state of Michigan, it would be incredibly uplifting for the fans to see another championship before the darkness comes. I know that there are no guarantees when it comes to the Stanley Cup, but it couldn't have hurt to have another million in cap available.

How do you know that? I don't doubt it, it just seems like an unsubstantiated statement.

So that's supposed to be enough for Lidstrom to say, "Yup, okay.....now I'll sign for even lower than what I was going to." Please. Part of the reason he continues to take these lower priced deals *is* because of how well he's taken care of in Detroit and because of how much he's appreciated.

At the same token, $1 million likely won't be the difference either. For the love of God, the guy continues to take cut after cut and its still not enough for people. There's already members talking about bitching next year about his supposed production at $6.2, but I can't wait to hear those people's comments when the Wings are without Lidstrom all together.

Why does money have to be the only way that the organization can show its immense gratitude and respect for this particular person? Haven't the fans of Detroit demonstrated just how much they do in fact appreciate his balls over the past 18 seasons? It just seems like in these troubled financial times, especially in the state of Michigan, it would be incredibly uplifting for the fans to see another championship before the darkness comes. I know that there are no guarantees when it comes to the Stanley Cup, but it couldn't have hurt to have another million in cap available.

How do you know that? I don't doubt it, it just seems like an unsubstantiated statement.

How could a player ever truly enforce this? If Lids did try to pull that off, Kenny could've just as easily have said, "yeah, yeah, yeah" and then turned around and given some other high-priced talent more money. It's always been an understanding. Lids, you scratch our back and we'll have all the leverage in the world to keep this team as competitive as possible.

Guest mindfly

Was reading his interview with the swedish news

"- I am pleased, even though I probably could have pushed further in the salary negotiations, says Lidstrom"

Errhm does that mean he think he could/should have gotten more but settled for this.. like he think this "discount" is really massive for him?

Howard proved capable this year. But who is to say he will next year. A lot of times rookie goalies play well their first year and then struggle the next. Look at Tim Thomas (who i realize wasn't a rookie). He won the veizna and then lost his starting job. It's not guarenteed that Howard will be good next year.

Really? Gofigure! :P

Look, no one's saying he's going to be as stellar as he was this year, but he'll likely have a better team playing in front of him all season given that another black-plague's worth of injuries doesn't befall this team again this coming season.

Even if Howard did struggle, what savior of a goalie could the Wings sign with that extra $1.2 in cap room that so many are bitching about? That amount of extra cap room is hardly going to solve anything between the pipes.

Was reading his interview with the swedish news

"- I am pleased, even though I probably could have pushed further in the salary negotiations, says Lidstrom"

Errhm does that mean he think he could/should have gotten more but settled for this.. like he think this "discount" is really massive for him?

IT. IS.

(Yes, I screamed it)

Spoiled. f'in. brats.

That's what EVERYONE who has a problem with this is... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is the best defenseman of our era and arguably, the best defenseman EVER to lace them up... he is 2 years removed from a +40 season with 70pts and finished with a +22 and 49 pts last year... WITH AN INJURY DEPLETED TEAM and coming off 3 straight years of DEEP playoff runs (not to mention almost losing a nut, literally)

He is still one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and 6.2 is a BARGAIN... just get ready to eat your crow when he puts up another Norris worth season this coming year after actually getting most of a summer off to re-charge the batteries...

You should all be ashamed and disgusted by yourselves for even SUGGESTING he deserves less...

Spoiled. f'in. brats.

That's what EVERYONE who has a problem with this is... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is the best defenseman of our era and arguably, the best defenseman EVER to lace them up... he is 2 years removed from a +40 season with 70pts and finished with a +22 and 49 pts last year... WITH AN INJURY DEPLETED TEAM and coming off 3 straight years of DEEP playoff runs (not to mention almost losing a nut, literally)

He is still one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and 6.2 is a BARGAIN... just get ready to eat your crow when he puts up another Norris worth season this coming year after actually getting most of a summer off to re-charge the batteries...

You should all be ashamed and disgusted by yourselves for even SUGGESTING he deserves less...

:thumbup::clap:

One of the best posts in this thread.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_commitment_to_winnin.html

Lidstrom agreed to a slight pay cut from his $7.45 million salary. He remains the club's highest-paid defenseman, earning a little more than partner Brian Rafalski ($6 million). Only Pavel Datsyuk has a higher salary-cap hit ($6.7 million).

"He's helped give us some extra salary-cap space," Holland said. "Hopefully, the cap goes up a little. Hopefully, we'll have a little wiggle room to improve the depth of the team."

The Red Wings have 16 players signed for next season at a cap number of $50.4 million. The cap is expected to rise from $56.8 million to approximately $58 million.

He's going to make $6.25 million next season. He made $7.4 million this past season. It would be nice if he played for under $6.25 million but those thinking he should have or demanding it of him to ask for $5 million or below just to play for the beloved Red Wings because it is such an honor are dreaming.

You know, you all don't want him to retire. He's not retiring just like you want, but he's still making too much money, and now that's ruining everybody's day. Nothing is ever good enough for some of you.

He's already taking a discount. Wake up people and be thankful.

He's already taking a discount. Wake up people and be thankful.

Yep. Like I said before:

Kenny is a businessman but he also wants his players to be fairly compensated based on their market value. Nick is the best defenseman on the team and the Wings along with many other organizations structure their salary so that the best are also the highest paid. Those who wanted Nick to get around 5 mil need to understand that Kenny simply wouldn't allow it based on how the Wings conduct business.

Guest mindfly

Yep. Like I said before:

Kenny isn't doing his job then, 1-2million extra from this deal could have been the difference between a cup and 1st/2nd round exit.