• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Lidstrom Signs 1-Year Contract Extension

Rate this topic

Based on? How does a defenseman's +/- get worse when the team is better?

Lidstrom was a top 5, arguably top 3 player last year. Just because he isn't THE best doesn't mean a contract worth 6 mil is too much.

How long has Draper been in this franchise compared to Rafalski when he was signed?

Because Lidstrom is the most consistent performer out there.

And the great thing is he isn't. This is a good contract for a great player.

You mean arguably top 3 on the wings right?

Lidstrom is still a great player but you guys need to take off your wing coloured homer glasses. Lidstrom is on the decline and was not one of the top 3 players in the league last year.

Based on? How does a defenseman's +/- get worse when the team is better?

2006/07 Nick Lidstrom +/- 40, 2007/08 +/- 40, 2008/09 +/-31, 2009/2010 +/- 22

say whatever you want about a depleted roster, but when you are the best defenseman youre +/- shouldn't drop 20 in two years or even almost 10 in one year.

How long has Draper been in this franchise compared to Rafalski when he was signed?

What does the longevity of Draper being in the franchise have to do with the fact that their are 3 better players on the team whose contracts are up and going by your logic should make more money than players who aren't as good as they are.

Because Lidstrom is the most consistent performer out there.

There are much more consitent players out there now. Three years ago you could say this, but today you can't. Did you watch the playoffs at all? Nick was exposed. Yes he is still good but he is not the most consistent player out there. Unless you are talking only Red Wings in which case you may have an arguement. But even then it's gonna be an arguement.

Edited by Mitchmac33

say whatever you want about a depleted roster, but when you are the best defenseman youre +/- shouldn't drop 20 in two years or even almost 10 in one year.

The team was a firewagon in 09. Big ******* deal. Does that mean the 08 and 07 teams were much worse than the 06 one?

Silly rabbit.

What does the longevity of Draper being in the franchise have to do with the fact that their are 3 better players on the team whose contracts are up and going by your logic should make more money than players who aren't as good as they are.

I suppose dedication to a franchise has no basis on what kind of contract you get. Oh wait, it does.

There are much more consitent players out there now. Three years ago you could say this, but today you can't. Did you watch the playoffs at all? Nick was exposed. Yes he is still good but he is not the most consistent player out there. Unless you are talking only Red Wings in which case you may have an arguement. But even then it's gonna be an arguement.

So who else is more consistent? I would love to see who you choose.

You mean arguably top 3 on the wings right?

Lidstrom is still a great player but you guys need to take off your wing coloured homer glasses. Lidstrom is on the decline and was not one of the top 3 players in the league last year.

Meant defenseman.

Edited by Doc Holliday

No, I'd say a plus/minus change of 10 isn't very significant. A difference of 10 goals for/against over the course of an 82 game season is no measure of a defensemen's worth.

For example: Duncan Keith, finished with a +21 this season after going +33 the previous one. Do you think he's a worse player this season than last, now that the Hawks are on the verge of winning the Cup?

I actually tried to find more "top" defensemen to be compared to Nick in this way, but most are so wildly inconsistent (as opposed to Nick who has always been a plus player by a wide margin) I'd have to go back more than one year. Nick is one of only two NHL defensemen during the last two years to finish top 10 in both plus/minus and points, sharing the honor with the illustrious Mike Green.

Spoiled. f'in. brats.

That's what EVERYONE who has a problem with this is... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is the best defenseman of our era and arguably, the best defenseman EVER to lace them up... he is 2 years removed from a +40 season with 70pts and finished with a +22 and 49 pts last year... WITH AN INJURY DEPLETED TEAM and coming off 3 straight years of DEEP playoff runs (not to mention almost losing a nut, literally)

He is still one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and 6.2 is a BARGAIN... just get ready to eat your crow when he puts up another Norris worth season this coming year after actually getting most of a summer off to re-charge the batteries...

You should all be ashamed and disgusted by yourselves for even SUGGESTING he deserves less...

I think those of you chastising others for expressing how they feel about this are the ones who should be ashamed, because you're going way overboard with it. When did it become the ultimate insult to criticize somebody? Professors do it all the time. So does my girlfriend, my parents, and my boss. I don't consider it a threat to my legacy. Nearly every person on this board has criticized and/or crucified someone within the Red Wings organization at one time or another. That's exactly what makes us fans, our passion for the team. Not because we buy tickets and jerseys and just sit quietly and never think or say or do anything bad about the team. Why should Lidstrom be exempt from our scrutiny?

There isn't a person on this forum who doesn't appreciate what Lidstrom has done for the team. No one is insinuating that Lidstrom isn't one of the greatest players in the history of the game, or that he shouldn't be properly compensated (which he has been. #2 highest accumulated NHL salary ever) This isn't an all or nothing situation. Isn't it possible to feel excited and relieved and at the same time a little disappointed? Kind of like every girl who gave her virginity to you. Yes, I'm glad our Captain is coming back for one more chance at the cup. Yes, I do believe that he is worth every penny of that 6.2 million dollar contract. At the same time, I wish that he could've left just a little bit more on the table. I'm positive that every single person here was hoping against all logic that he would've signed for about a million dollars less. Wasn't it Lidstrom himself who said that he would play for the league minimum just to stay in Detroit? He obviously wasn't insulted by the thought of a salary lower than market value at the time. Or is that just some bulls*** he said to make himself look good? If someone is going to publicly state that they would be willing to work for a certain dollar amount, it isn't blasphemous to think that person might be willing to work for TEN TIMES THAT AMOUNT!

In the end, you're going to feel how you feel about it, and I'm going to feel how I feel about it. And that's cool. But don't go around calling me out and calling me names when you're the one acting like a ******.

With that said, I'm done with this thread. The ink is dry already, so there's nothing more to be said. Now all we can do is sit around and wait to ***** about Homer's contract :sly:

Edited by Bannedforlife

Still one of the best shut down defenseman in the league. And this was from non Red Wings color homer glasses players in the NHL. Man oh man people the guy wasn't going to take less money than Raffi. Give it up.

Nor was Holland going to pay him any less than Raffy. The Wings treat their players well - especially one like Nick who has been with the organization for almost 2 decades. He was one of the players that deferred salary to get Hull in 02. He also could have gotten more after the lockout - and the players association was actually POd he didn't take the max.

I think it is fair that Nick not make less than Rafalski. He took a cut - not a real steep on, but the guy played all 82 freaking games last year. People that point to Stevie's last few years forget he was out a good part of those seasons and was really only in for the playoffs.

Good deal for Nick and the Wings. I shiver when I imagine the Wings without him - now I can postpone that agony for at least another year....

I suppose dedication to a franchise has no basis on what kind of contract you get. Oh wait, it does.

Well the wings sure screwed holmstrom then.

So who else is more consistent? I would love to see who you choose.

Easily Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

Edited by Mitchmac33

Well the wings sure screwed holmstrom then.

Easily Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby .

:huh:

Ridiculous comparison. Both great players in their prime right now - who knows where they will be at 40?

AO=great player but where was his team after the first round? consistent is not a word I would use to describe his playoff performance.

Last time I checked, when #87 plays a against #5 - the latter shuts him down, even in the playoff series that the Pens won, Crosby was not a big factor.

If you want to compare current players to Lidstrom, find someone who plays his position that is better and more consistent. There are only a few D-men you can even toss out there that would even warrant a discussion.

:huh:

Ridiculous comparison. Both great players in their prime right now - who knows where they will be at 40?

AO=great player but where was his team after the first round? consistent is not a word I would use to describe his playoff performance.

Last time I checked, when #87 plays a against #5 - the latter shuts him down, even in the playoff series that the Pens won, Crosby was not a big factor.

If you want to compare current players to Lidstrom, find someone who plays his position that is better and more consistent. There are only a few D-men you can even toss out there that would even warrant a discussion.

Ok well they are great right now. Both consistent. We aren't talking about the prime of each player's career. We are talk about RIGHT NOW. AO was consistent in the playoffs. 10 pts, 5 g 5a in 7 games with a +5, which happened to be 2 behind nick in 5 less games.

And last time i checked this wasn't a head to head arguement. He asked who was more consistent and idk if you watched hockey this year but crosby was his usually self, plus he scored more goals, while lidstrom struggled to be a top defenseman.

Plus yet again we weren't talking positonal. We were talking about who is more consistent since Nick is supposedly th emost consistent player. But yes Drew Doughty was more consistent along with chris progner, mike green.

Ok well they are great right now. Both consistent. We aren't talking about the prime of each player's career. We are talk about RIGHT NOW. AO was consistent in the playoffs. 10 pts, 5 g 5a in 7 games with a +5, which happened to be 2 behind nick in 5 less games.

And last time i checked this wasn't a head to head arguement. He asked who was more consistent and idk if you watched hockey this year but crosby was his usually self, plus he scored more goals, while lidstrom struggled to be a top defenseman.

Plus yet again we weren't talking positonal. We were talking about who is more consistent since Nick is supposedly th emost consistent player. But yes Drew Doughty was more consistent along with chris progner, mike green.

So the only way you can find someone more consistent is to pick a guy who has a 13 year $124,000,000 contract ($9.538M cap hit each year) and then you complain about Lids 1 year $6,200,000 contract. :rolleyes:

I just happen to think that Lidstrom had a great chance to go out as one of the great captains in Red Wing history. But if he approaches his career off the ice the same way he approaches it on the ice, I'd expect nothing less than for him to put himself in the most enviable position possible.

Still one of the best shut down defenseman in the league. And this was from non Red Wings color homer glasses players in the NHL. Man oh man people the guy wasn't going to take less money than Raffi. Give it up.

I agree he's still a top defenseman . And during the Playoffs in a losing cause with that crappy goaltending I found a renewed appreciation of Lidstrom.

I'm thrilled we have got him back for at least one more year.

I'm torn on the cap hit. On one hand I know his skill set is worth the money, but on the other hand he is now 40 years old that does bring a certain amount of risk, even at 1 year. I would have loved to have more capspace. 5m would have been perfect.

Overall though, I'm just glad hes coming back!

Guest mindfly

I was just thinking...Will Lidstrom be the oldest player next season... Blake pretty much said this was his last season, Schneider won't get a contract right? Recchi also sort of stated this was his last, hasek retired from the nhl, joseph retired, Chelios was "99% chance i will retire", Modano is born in july of 1970 and will retire anyways, uhm...

Edited by mindfly

I was just thinking...Will Lidstrom be the oldest player next season... Blake pretty much said this was his last season, Schneider won't get a contract right? Recchi also sort of stated this was his last, hasek retired from the nhl, joseph retired, Chelios was "99% chance i will retire", Modano is born in july of 1970 and will retire anyways, uhm...

I don't recall Recchi saying anything about retiring. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he's like to play again next season.

edit: they were talking about Recchi's stautus over in dum-dum land.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=769910

Edited by rick zombo

I don't recall Recchi saying anything about retiring. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he's like to play again next season.

edit: they were talking about Recchi's stautus over in dum-dum land.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=769910

That would suck to see Recchi go.They're all dropping like flies.A lot of the players I grew up watching are hangin em up :(