• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#221 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

well now that lidstrom has signed we have a lot more insight into cap space and how the roster might look next year :)

Now onto the Bertuzzi and Holmstrom situations.Things will definitely be more clear after their situations are handled.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#222 Pepist

Pepist

Rookie

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

just like to share something someone wrote on TSN's website in the Lidstrom headline

"detroit isn't going to win the cup next year, so why pay a has-been 6m when you can start putting in some young guys. retire already, just another favre in the making.... "

Yeah.. Or let's try one that people actually agreed with:

"Wade Redden, Brian Cambell, Bouwmeester, Timonen, Vishnosky and Phaneuf all made more money last year than Lidstrom will make this coming season.

Pretty sure I'd rather have Lidstrom on my squad if I were making a serious run at the cup over most of the players on this list. Lidstrom is a legend and is amongst the hockey elite of all time. All players would look up to him and this is a massive element to any team.

This is a good signing. Lidstrom deserves to get paid. "

#223 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

The implication being that Nick has no character? Well isn't that a nice thing to say about our captain and future Hall of Famer. "f*** that Lidstrom, he's a greedy prick."

I love how I say I'm rooting for the Hawks to win the Stanley Cup because it would mean something to my dad and that means I'm a traitor but saying Nick Lidstrom has no character and is essentially a money-hungry ******* is the mark of a "true" fan.

If I tell my girlfriend that I think Angelina Jolie is beautiful, does that mean that I think my girlfriend is not beautiful? Way to twist my words.

I'm going to tell you all a secret right now, and I hope that it won't crush all of your dreams. Nicklas Lidstrom is not a deity. Nicklas Lidstrom is not a perfect human being. Nicklas Lidstrom is not the best thing to ever happen to mankind ever ever ever. Sorry I had to tell someone, it was eating me up inside.

Personally, I think that Nick is one of the most intelligent players in the game. He exemplifies what it means to be a professional. He exudes class and sportmanship. He might be the greatest player to ever wear the Winged Wheel. However, all of those things do not = Jesus in a hockey sweater. What if Duncan Keith signed his new contract for a 7.340 million dollar cap hit (200k more than Brian Campbell) Would that cause you to question his character just a little? Doesn't that seem as though someone has a bit of an ego?

None of us will ever know exactly what goes on during these kinds of negotiations. Maybe Holland refused to offer anything less. Maybe Nick owes 6.2 million dollars to the mob. Maybe his wife would've beat him for accepting less than Rafalski makes. Maybe Ilitch got into a hot tub time machine and thought he was stuck in 1999. Who knows. But based on the limited information available to me, I've come to the conclusion that Lidstrom decided receiving his fair market value (6-6.5mil) outweighed the benefits of making a significant sacrifice for the good of his team (4-5mil). Is that his right? Yes. Does that make him a bad person? No. Does that mean he doesn't care about the team or winning or the fans or Detroit? NO. It just would have beenf****** sweet.

#224 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

If I tell my girlfriend that I think Angelina Jolie is beautiful, does that mean that I think my girlfriend is not beautiful? Way to twist my words.

I'm going to tell you all a secret right now, and I hope that it won't crush all of your dreams. Nicklas Lidstrom is not a deity. Nicklas Lidstrom is not a perfect human being. Nicklas Lidstrom is not the best thing to ever happen to mankind ever ever ever. Sorry I had to tell someone, it was eating me up inside.

Personally, I think that Nick is one of the most intelligent players in the game. He exemplifies what it means to be a professional. He exudes class and sportmanship. He might be the greatest player to ever wear the Winged Wheel. However, all of those things do not = Jesus in a hockey sweater. What if Duncan Keith signed his new contract for a 7.340 million dollar cap hit (200k more than Brian Campbell) Would that cause you to question his character just a little? Doesn't that seem as though someone has a bit of an ego?

None of us will ever know exactly what goes on during these kinds of negotiations. Maybe Holland refused to offer anything less. Maybe Nick owes 6.2 million dollars to the mob. Maybe his wife would've beat him for accepting less than Rafalski makes. Maybe Ilitch got into a hot tub time machine and thought he was stuck in 1999.
Who knows. But based on the limited information available to me, I've come to the conclusion that Lidstrom decided receiving his fair market value (6-6.5mil) outweighed the benefits of making a significant sacrifice for the good of his team (4-5mil). Is that his right? Yes. Does that make him a bad person? No. Does that mean he doesn't care about the team or winning or the fans or Detroit? NO. It just would have beenf****** sweet.

Maybe he didn't want to kick the guy most responsible for the Wings' success the past 15 years in the balls.

$6.2 is beyond fair for the organization and its something Lids can live with. That's most likely where that number came from....not some personal need to be the highest paid. It never was. Besides, if that were the case he'd be making $6.7+ next season given Datsyuk's salary. The "Lidstrom Cap" was awarded to him from Kenny for his financial sacrifices, not something Lids enforced.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#225 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

None of us will ever know exactly what goes on during these kinds of negotiations. Maybe Holland refused to offer anything less. Maybe Nick owes 6.2 million dollars to the mob. Maybe his wife would've beat him for accepting less than Rafalski makes. Maybe Ilitch got into a hot tub time machine and thought he was stuck in 1999. Who knows. But based on the limited information available to me, I've come to the conclusion that Lidstrom decided receiving his fair market value (6-6.5mil) outweighed the benefits of making a significant sacrifice for the good of his team (4-5mil). Is that his right? Yes. Does that make him a bad person? No. Does that mean he doesn't care about the team or winning or the fans or Detroit? NO. It just would have beenf****** sweet.

Exactly... and I love how everyone piles on Crosby (oh god... now I did it) and Malkin and others for getting their 'fair market value' because it handcuffs their team... but with Lids it's ok. Lots of hypocrites around here.

#226 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Words from Ken Himself...

..."I get to watch him every day," general manager Ken Holland told the team's official Web site. "I still think that Nick is the premier two-way defenseman in the world. There might be some players maybe a little bit more productive, offensively, but I think when you factor in how good Nick is defensively, how he played the last half of the year, certainly the last 30 games I still think we have one -- if not the -- best defensemen in the world. It's a great day for Red Wings' fans."....

....Sounds accurate to me :thumbup:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#227 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Maybe he didn't want to kick the guy most responsible for the Wings' success the past 15 years in the balls.

Why does money have to be the only way that the organization can show its immense gratitude and respect for this particular person? Haven't the fans of Detroit demonstrated just how much they do in fact appreciate his balls over the past 18 seasons? It just seems like in these troubled financial times, especially in the state of Michigan, it would be incredibly uplifting for the fans to see another championship before the darkness comes. I know that there are no guarantees when it comes to the Stanley Cup, but it couldn't have hurt to have another million in cap available.

$6.2 is beyond fair for the organization and its something Lids can live with. That's most likely where that number came from....not some personal need to be the highest paid. It never was. Besides, if that were the case he'd be making $6.7+ next season given Datsyuk's salary. The "Lidstrom Cap" was awarded to him from Kenny for his financial sacrifices, not something Lids enforced.

How do you know that? I don't doubt it, it just seems like an unsubstantiated statement.

#228 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Meh when it comes to the deal.

Lidstrom is worth a lot but I was hoping for like a 4 mil deal.

I can dream, can't I?

Well I think it's safe to say that many of us were hoping for Lids to sign for roughly $4 million - however I'd rather have him at $6 million - $6.2 million (or whatever) rather than lose him to retirement.

While he may not be the #1 Dman in the league - how many other Dmen have been as consistent as he has, or provide what he continues to bring game in, and game out?

I too wish he had signed for less, but a Red Wings with Nick Lidstrom > Red Wings without Nick Lidstrom.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#229 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

One of them will have a Norris Trophy and a one of them will most likely have a Stanley Cup ring. The most recent Norris Trophy and most recent Stanley Cup, which are the most important in determining their current value.

If you think that Lidstrom is still worth over 10 million dollars a year, fine. I won't ever be able to change your mind. But from where I'm sitting, the best defenseman this year and probably most years from this point forward, a 25 year old kid, just signed a contract that will take him into and throughout the prime of his career for a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. He did it because he loves the city and his team and because he wants to compete for the championship as often as is possible with the current salary cap. Duncan Keith will undoubtedly sacrifice more salary throughout his career than Lidstrom has. That's called character.

Keith is not and will never be more valuable than Lidstrom is in his career. That's called being one of the best defenseman to ever play the game.

Posted Image

#230 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

i knew he would come back, and i agree with ken saying that lidstrom is still the best defensemen in the league. people that are dissapointed with his contract need to take a rain check.
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#231 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Long live King Lidas!!!

#232 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

I'm certainly happy he came back, but i too am a little disappointed in the cap number.

For me, it has nothing to do with how much he's worth. It's about how much we have. If we had a ton of space I'd be fine with him taking $10 or $12 million. But we don't. We now need a decent cap raise to get back basically the same team from last year, some small changes for the better, but also everyone a year older.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 16; CAP: $56.8m; PAYROLL: $50.380m; CAP ROOM: $6.420m BONUSES: $0.000m

$6.42 + whatever cap increase to sign five forwards and a defenseman. Helm, Homer, Abby, and Eaves/Miller should be the priorities, and will probably cost around $4.5-5 million. That would leave ~$3-4 million for the last two spots. At best, not really enough for meaningful improvement. That's Bert and Lilly w/maybe a little deadline wiggle room. Add another $1.2 or 1.7 to that and it might just have been enough to pull in a defensemen like Michalek or a forward like Frolov.

That's why I'm disappointed.

#233 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

After reading the comments that some of you have left regarding Lidstrom re-signing for next year I'am actually embarrassed to be associated with you. Have you been so spoiled over the past 15 years that the fact that Holland signed our best player to a $1.2 mill discount is hurting the team? The way i see it the only way our team could be worse next year is if Lidstrom retired or asked for more than he made last year. He could have demanded the league max and forced Holland to tear the team apart to sign him, because he is worth the league max. He could have retired and the wings could hope that they find his replacement in the draft sometime in the next....30 years, players like him come around once every generation or so and the fact that he played for the wings his entire career is a blessing. If you guys don't want the best player of the past 20 years there are 29 other teams that will gladly take him off our hands even at 40 y/o. Had he retired could we had a shot a getting Kovi? sure, but last time i checked Kovi doesn't play 28 min/game and wont shut down the other teams best players every game. Lidstrom has the kind of impact on games that Crosby and Ovechkin have and Holland signed him for close to $3 mill less than those guys are getting. I'am thanking the Hockey gods everyday(alot today)for allowing the wings to have players like Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk because every other team had a shot at drafting these guy and the wings could have the success that the Florida Panthers has had. Those of you that are complaining I want you to go root for the Panthers or the Thrashers next year so you can be humbled and because you don't deserve to be associated with the Red Wings. You are the reason that every other fan base can't stand us thinks we are entitled to everything. Could he have signed for 4 or 5 million? yes, but the fact that he still want to play and still wants to play for the wings is worth 6.2 million dollars. If you want to call him up and pay him 2 million out of your own pocket so he could sign for 4 mill im sure he would take you up on it.

Thank you for reading my rant and if you are very happy that Lids is just coming back and that you think Holland will work his magic and the wings will be a cup contender next year then this was not about you, i still have respect for you and if you are ever in Wyoming you are welcome to come watch a wings game at my house. :champs: <-- in 2011

#234 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Well thanks. Welcome back Nick!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#235 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Have you been so spoiled over the past 15 years

Let me answer that for you now.

Yes.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#236 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Im overjoyed to have Nick back, but still for so much is disappointing. I love him, but how are the Wings supposed to get better when we'll barely be able to retain our current team that was ousted in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Hopefully we wont have the same injury trouble and maybe that'll change our fortunes, who knows. Excited to see the rest of the moves Kenny makes this offseason.

#NOMOREKINDL

#237 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

Let me answer that for you now.

Yes.

im just as spoiled but i understand that what the wings have done in the last 15 years is very special and it will end some day, Lidstrom retiring will have a HUGE impact on that so im happy that we will have at least another year of a cup continting team to root for

#238 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

Good post, although I would caution you on taking some posters too seriously :hehe: .

Remember that the people that aren't happy are usually much louder then the people who are :D

#239 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Good post, although I would caution you on taking some posters too seriously :hehe: .

Remember that the people that aren't happy are usually much louder then the people who are :D

i try not to but sometimes i cant resist, plus it seems like more people are upset about it than relieved so i just needed to get that rant out

#240 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

im just as spoiled but i understand that what the wings have done in the last 15 years is very special and it will end some day, Lidstrom retiring will have a HUGE impact on that so im happy that we will have at least another year of a cup continting team to root for

No, I understand where you're coming from. The team is better with him than we will be without him, and I think some of these people bitching need to realize that. When he retires, and it'll more than likely be after next season, our team is screwed. We don't have any young, up-and-coming defensemen we can start phasing in so his absence won't be as difficult to take. The opposite happened when Steve retired -- we had Hank and Pavs among others, to help bridge that gap. Right now, we've got no one.

The fact he DIDN'T retire and didn't leave us in the lurch is something no one is addressing. I wonder why. Oh right -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor