• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#301 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

Howard proved capable this year. But who is to say he will next year. A lot of times rookie goalies play well their first year and then struggle the next. Look at Tim Thomas (who i realize wasn't a rookie). He won the veizna and then lost his starting job. It's not guarenteed that Howard will be good next year.

Really? Gofigure! :P

Look, no one's saying he's going to be as stellar as he was this year, but he'll likely have a better team playing in front of him all season given that another black-plague's worth of injuries doesn't befall this team again this coming season.

Even if Howard did struggle, what savior of a goalie could the Wings sign with that extra $1.2 in cap room that so many are bitching about? That amount of extra cap room is hardly going to solve anything between the pipes.

Was reading his interview with the swedish news

"- I am pleased, even though I probably could have pushed further in the salary negotiations, says Lidstrom"

Errhm does that mean he think he could/should have gotten more but settled for this.. like he think this "discount" is really massive for him?

IT. IS.

(Yes, I screamed it)
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#302 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Spoiled. f'in. brats.

That's what EVERYONE who has a problem with this is... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is the best defenseman of our era and arguably, the best defenseman EVER to lace them up... he is 2 years removed from a +40 season with 70pts and finished with a +22 and 49 pts last year... WITH AN INJURY DEPLETED TEAM and coming off 3 straight years of DEEP playoff runs (not to mention almost losing a nut, literally)

He is still one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and 6.2 is a BARGAIN... just get ready to eat your crow when he puts up another Norris worth season this coming year after actually getting most of a summer off to re-charge the batteries...

You should all be ashamed and disgusted by yourselves for even SUGGESTING he deserves less...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#303 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Spoiled. f'in. brats.

That's what EVERYONE who has a problem with this is... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is the best defenseman of our era and arguably, the best defenseman EVER to lace them up... he is 2 years removed from a +40 season with 70pts and finished with a +22 and 49 pts last year... WITH AN INJURY DEPLETED TEAM and coming off 3 straight years of DEEP playoff runs (not to mention almost losing a nut, literally)

He is still one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and 6.2 is a BARGAIN... just get ready to eat your crow when he puts up another Norris worth season this coming year after actually getting most of a summer off to re-charge the batteries...

You should all be ashamed and disgusted by yourselves for even SUGGESTING he deserves less...

:thumbup: :clap:

One of the best posts in this thread.

http://www.mlive.com..._to_winnin.html

Lidstrom agreed to a slight pay cut from his $7.45 million salary. He remains the club's highest-paid defenseman, earning a little more than partner Brian Rafalski ($6 million). Only Pavel Datsyuk has a higher salary-cap hit ($6.7 million).

"He's helped give us some extra salary-cap space," Holland said. "Hopefully, the cap goes up a little. Hopefully, we'll have a little wiggle room to improve the depth of the team."

The Red Wings have 16 players signed for next season at a cap number of $50.4 million. The cap is expected to rise from $56.8 million to approximately $58 million.

He's going to make $6.25 million next season. He made $7.4 million this past season. It would be nice if he played for under $6.25 million but those thinking he should have or demanding it of him to ask for $5 million or below just to play for the beloved Red Wings because it is such an honor are dreaming.

You know, you all don't want him to retire. He's not retiring just like you want, but he's still making too much money, and now that's ruining everybody's day. Nothing is ever good enough for some of you.

He's already taking a discount. Wake up people and be thankful.

#304 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

He's already taking a discount. Wake up people and be thankful.

Yep. Like I said before:

Kenny is a businessman but he also wants his players to be fairly compensated based on their market value. Nick is the best defenseman on the team and the Wings along with many other organizations structure their salary so that the best are also the highest paid. Those who wanted Nick to get around 5 mil need to understand that Kenny simply wouldn't allow it based on how the Wings conduct business.

#305 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

Yep. Like I said before:

Kenny is a businessman but he also wants his players to be fairly compensated based on their market value. Nick is the best defenseman on the team and the Wings along with many other organizations structure their salary so that the best are also the highest paid. Those who wanted Nick to get around 5 mil need to understand that Kenny simply wouldn't allow it based on how the Wings conduct business.

Kenny isn't doing his job then, 1-2million extra from this deal could have been the difference between a cup and 1st/2nd round exit.

#306 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Kenny isn't doing his job then, 1-2million extra from this deal could have been the difference between a cup and 1st/2nd round exit.

It's just that simple eh?
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#307 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Because the other team possibly playing better in a series regardless of personnel, bad breaks or a bad call has nothing to do with stuff like that either.

Please explain to us how Holland isn't doing his job by bringing one of his best employees, and one of the best employees in an industry for the past 2 decade, back FOR LESS MONEY. I think we'd love to hear this explanation.

#308 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

It's just that simple eh?

FO SHIZZLE MA NIZZLE

I'm in no position really to question kenny's ability because he got the hardware to back it up, but a GM can always become better, no one is the complete package, what about being aggresive, take more risks, push the players more to make them sign for EVEN less.. doesn't wanna trade because he wants a pick in every round, stuff like that...

And what about this loyalty thing, getting out of hand, keeping expired players like draper, maltby, osgood... no other GM would have kept them last season.. well maybe osgood but after his showing he would have been shipped out.. some descisions he make... you just start to wonder how the hell is he thinking....

Edited by mindfly, 02 June 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#309 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

This thread is perilously close to being pulled for sheer lunacy. No wonder the rest of the NHL fanbase accuses us of being spoiled.

State your opinion and move on. The bickering back and forth that Lids should have taken less and has cost us the Cup because he didn't must stop. Mike Ilitch owns this team and thank God he does. Hands down the best owner in the business. Ken Holland runs this team. We have players consistently taking less than market value because of these men and the environment they perpetuate. Players are loyal to the Wings because the Wings are loyal to them. Remember that.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#310 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Because the other team possibly playing better in a series regardless of personnel, bad breaks or a bad call has nothing to do with stuff like that either.

Please explain to us how Holland isn't doing his job by bringing one of his best employees, and one of the best employees in an industry for the past 2 decade, back FOR LESS MONEY. I think we'd love to hear this explanation.

Had lidstrom scored 70-80pts, been a finalist/won for/the norris and played lights out of course this 6.2 contract would have been amazing, but his 49pts, no nomination, half of the plus-minus from some of the previous seasons, he could never have asked for 7.45 and he knows it, and he might even decline more this upcoming season... 6.2 is sort of an absolut max, a 5M would have looked much better based on the stats he had the season that just ended.

#311 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

:lol:

If all credibility wasn't lost before, it certainly is now.

Had lidstrom scored 70-80pts, been a finalist/won for/the norris and played lights out of course this 6.2 contract would have been amazing, but his 49pts, no nomination, half of the plus-minus from some of the previous seasons, he could never have asked for 7.45 and he knows it, and he might even decline more this upcoming season... 6.2 is sort of an absolut max, a 5M would have looked much better based on the stats he had the season that just ended.

For the millionth time, have you ever thought of factoring in the fact that Detroit was playing with $31 million worth of players on December 23rd last year? Did the fact that his numbers increased to normal as the team became an NHL calibre club and not the Griffins as the season progressed completely escape you?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#312 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

I will repeat...

HE SIGNED HIM FOR LESS MONEY.

You said you aren't in positon to question him. Stop trying so hard to do so and save some brain cells.

#313 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

:lol:

If all credibility wasn't lost before, it certainly is now.

For the millionth time, have you ever thought of factoring in the fact that Detroit was playing with $31 million worth of players on December 23rd last year? Did the fact that his numbers increased to normal as the team became an NHL calibre club and not the Griffins as the season progressed completely escape you?

That's a Horton/Frolov/Plekanec player playing top6mins, pp, 30goals etc etc instead of a 900k adam burish or something, think about it..makes a huge difference in the playoffs having more scoring power, like chicago has atm.

Edited by mindfly, 02 June 2010 - 09:08 AM.

#314 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

I will repeat...

HE SIGNED HIM FOR LESS MONEY.

You said you aren't in positon to question him. Stop trying so hard to do so and save some brain cells.

I really don't know why anyone even wastes their time reading or replying to mindfly's posts at this point... he's clearly only here to get under peoples skin...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#315 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Was reading his interview with the swedish news

"- I am pleased, even though I probably could have pushed further in the salary negotiations, says Lidstrom"

Errhm does that mean he think he could/should have gotten more but settled for this.. like he think this "discount" is really massive for him?

I think it's sensible if I just make no further comments. :ph34r:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#316 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

That's a Horton/Frolov/Plekanec player playing top6mins, pp, 30goals etc etc instead of a 900k adam burish or something, think about it..makes a huge difference in the playoffs having more scoring power, like chicago has atm.

First of all, not its not. The latter two are a $1.95-$2.1 million difference and Horton (for Christ's-sake) is a $3.1 million difference, not $1.2. I love how you try to stretch numbers as if I'm (or anyone else for that matter) not going to call you on it.

Second, Chicago is playing with a roster similar to one that Detroit had in 2008. One where Z and Franzen's contracts were peanuts. That's not gonna be the case next season in Chicago. Try again.

#317 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

First of all, not its not. Those players are roughly a $2.1 million difference, not $1.2. Also, I love how you try to stretch numbers as if I'm (or no one else for that matter is going to call you on it). Second, Chicago is playing with a roster similar to one that Detroit had in 2008. One where Z and Franzen's contracts were peanuts. That's not gonna be the case next season in Chicago. Try again.

I really don't know why anyone even wastes their time reading or replying to mindfly's posts at this point... he's clearly only here to get under peoples skin...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#318 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

I think I read at a forum at worst Chicago will lose one of Sharp/Bufyglien/Versteeg + 2-3 filling roster players in the offseason to fit under the cap...while a guy like sharp will be missed they will still reign the central division and be at the top of the western conference.

Edited by mindfly, 02 June 2010 - 09:18 AM.

#319 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

I think I read at a forum at worst Chicago will lose one of Sharp/Bufyglien/Versteeg + 2-3 filling roster players in the offseason to fit under the cap...while a guy like sharp will be missed they will still reign the central division and be at the top of the western conference.

Chicago has a VERY GOOD young team and will still be very competitive even if they lose some of those players (not going to argue with you on that)... As the same time, I think they would try to retain Versteeg or Sharp if possible...

Back to Nick... Good to have him back for another year...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#320 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Bottom line: We're lucky to have him back AT ALL. However, were even LUCKIER that Lidstrom is the type of player that is willing to win at all costs. That is why he signed for less. Name any other player in the game today that would have taken a 1.3 million dollar paycut so his team could have extra cap-space to sign someone else......

Are you serious? He's going to go down as one of the greatest defensemen in all time league history and you think he doesn't deserve his salary because of one bad year? If you hadn't noticed, the whole team underperformed this year. Lidstrom is still one of the best defensemen in the game, and he should get paid for it imo.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk