• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#341 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

I'll join the "disappointed it's so high" group AND the "yay! he's back" group.
Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#342 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Wow.......people bitchin' about the Wings resigning Lids, and Leino double shifting in OT of game 3 of the SCF. Strange days indeed.

#343 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

I suppose dedication to a franchise has no basis on what kind of contract you get. Oh wait, it does.

Well the wings sure screwed holmstrom then.

So who else is more consistent? I would love to see who you choose.

Easily Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

Edited by Mitchmac33, 03 June 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#344 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well the wings sure screwed holmstrom then.

Easily Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby .

:huh:
Ridiculous comparison. Both great players in their prime right now - who knows where they will be at 40?
AO=great player but where was his team after the first round? consistent is not a word I would use to describe his playoff performance.
Last time I checked, when #87 plays a against #5 - the latter shuts him down, even in the playoff series that the Pens won, Crosby was not a big factor.

If you want to compare current players to Lidstrom, find someone who plays his position that is better and more consistent. There are only a few D-men you can even toss out there that would even warrant a discussion.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#345 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

:huh:
Ridiculous comparison. Both great players in their prime right now - who knows where they will be at 40?
AO=great player but where was his team after the first round? consistent is not a word I would use to describe his playoff performance.
Last time I checked, when #87 plays a against #5 - the latter shuts him down, even in the playoff series that the Pens won, Crosby was not a big factor.

If you want to compare current players to Lidstrom, find someone who plays his position that is better and more consistent. There are only a few D-men you can even toss out there that would even warrant a discussion.

Ok well they are great right now. Both consistent. We aren't talking about the prime of each player's career. We are talk about RIGHT NOW. AO was consistent in the playoffs. 10 pts, 5 g 5a in 7 games with a +5, which happened to be 2 behind nick in 5 less games.
And last time i checked this wasn't a head to head arguement. He asked who was more consistent and idk if you watched hockey this year but crosby was his usually self, plus he scored more goals, while lidstrom struggled to be a top defenseman.
Plus yet again we weren't talking positonal. We were talking about who is more consistent since Nick is supposedly th emost consistent player. But yes Drew Doughty was more consistent along with chris progner, mike green.

#346 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Ok well they are great right now. Both consistent. We aren't talking about the prime of each player's career. We are talk about RIGHT NOW. AO was consistent in the playoffs. 10 pts, 5 g 5a in 7 games with a +5, which happened to be 2 behind nick in 5 less games.
And last time i checked this wasn't a head to head arguement. He asked who was more consistent and idk if you watched hockey this year but crosby was his usually self, plus he scored more goals, while lidstrom struggled to be a top defenseman.
Plus yet again we weren't talking positonal. We were talking about who is more consistent since Nick is supposedly th emost consistent player. But yes Drew Doughty was more consistent along with chris progner, mike green.

So the only way you can find someone more consistent is to pick a guy who has a 13 year $124,000,000 contract ($9.538M cap hit each year) and then you complain about Lids 1 year $6,200,000 contract. :rolleyes:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#347 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

I just happen to think that Lidstrom had a great chance to go out as one of the great captains in Red Wing history. But if he approaches his career off the ice the same way he approaches it on the ice, I'd expect nothing less than for him to put himself in the most enviable position possible.

#348 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Still one of the best shut down defenseman in the league. And this was from non Red Wings color homer glasses players in the NHL. Man oh man people the guy wasn't going to take less money than Raffi. Give it up.

I agree he's still a top defenseman . And during the Playoffs in a losing cause with that crappy goaltending I found a renewed appreciation of Lidstrom.

#349 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

I'm thrilled we have got him back for at least one more year.

I'm torn on the cap hit. On one hand I know his skill set is worth the money, but on the other hand he is now 40 years old that does bring a certain amount of risk, even at 1 year. I would have loved to have more capspace. 5m would have been perfect.

Overall though, I'm just glad hes coming back!

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#350 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

I was just thinking...Will Lidstrom be the oldest player next season... Blake pretty much said this was his last season, Schneider won't get a contract right? Recchi also sort of stated this was his last, hasek retired from the nhl, joseph retired, Chelios was "99% chance i will retire", Modano is born in july of 1970 and will retire anyways, uhm...

Edited by mindfly, 04 June 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#351 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

I was just thinking...Will Lidstrom be the oldest player next season... Blake pretty much said this was his last season, Schneider won't get a contract right? Recchi also sort of stated this was his last, hasek retired from the nhl, joseph retired, Chelios was "99% chance i will retire", Modano is born in july of 1970 and will retire anyways, uhm...

I don't recall Recchi saying anything about retiring. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he's like to play again next season.

edit: they were talking about Recchi's stautus over in dum-dum land.

http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=769910

Edited by rick zombo, 04 June 2010 - 11:14 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#352 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I don't recall Recchi saying anything about retiring. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he's like to play again next season.

edit: they were talking about Recchi's stautus over in dum-dum land.

http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=769910

That would suck to see Recchi go.They're all dropping like flies.A lot of the players I grew up watching are hangin em up :(
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien