#161 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

We could have signed Kovalchuk for those extra $0.2 million *cries*

:lol:

if anyone thinks we can sign a top end free agent and get Lids back needs to think again.

we can get a decent player with this extra cap space, and that will be Hudler

#162 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Don't assume that this will Lidstrom's last season. He, like many other players around his age, is going to be signing one-year contracts from here on out so that he has the option to retire after any season without any extra years counting against his team's salary cap (recall that a chunk of a player's salary stays on the cap if he retires after having been signed past a certain age).

Keith should win the Norris this year... how is he not important to the Hawks?

As for the 2008 comment, that's completely wrong. In 2008 we didn't have to give Filpulla top 6 minutes. In 2008 we thought that Filpulla would be good as soon as he got more minutes. In 2008 we still had Sammy, Hudler, Cleary was playing way better, Drake was a force in the playoffs, Draper and Maltby could still play, Helm was playing on the 4th line.

In 2010 we don't have Sammy, Cleary is coming off pretty bad injuries the last 2 years, Helm is now on the 3rd line out of necissity, Abdelkader hasn't taken Drake's spot yet, and Draper and Maltby are both pretty much done.

So I'd say it's like this in terms of depth:

2009>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2008>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2010

Bitching, bitching... spoiled bitching.

#163 Paolino99

Paolino99

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Like who?

Which free agent is going to replace Lidstrom's 25 minutes/gm 50+ pts and literally being the #1 shut-down defenseman in the league?

Ok,i repeat,IMO Lidstrom is the best defenseman all-time...but is 40yrs old & next year we must to pose the same question (who replace him?)
the answer is nobody can replace Nick...but the free agent "market" has some good name,some ideas for the future,not just defensemen...

FORWARDS
Ilya Kovalchuk 26 NJ $7,500,000
Alexander Frolov 27 LA $4,000,000
Alexei Ponikarovsky 29 PIT $2,500,000
Patrick Marleau 29 SJ $6,300,000
Tomas Plekanec 26 MON $2,750,000
Matthew Lombardi 27 PHO $2,350,000
Lee Stempniak 26 PHO $3,500,000
Marek Svatos 27 COL $2,350,000

D-MEN
Scott Niedermayer 35 ANA $6,000,000
Sergei Gonchar 35 PIT $5,500,000
Derek Morris 30 PHO $3,300,000
Anton Volchenkov 27 OTT $3,200,000
Milan Jurcina 26 WAS $1,375,000

GOALIES
Marty Turco 33 DAL $5,400,000
Jose Theodore 32 WASH $4,500,000
Vesa Toskala 32 CAL $4,000,000
Chris Mason 33 STL $3,000,000
Dan Ellis 29 NASH $2,000,000
Ray Emery 26 PHI $1,500,000
Michael Leighton 28 CAR $600,000
Posted Image

#164 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

It's actually a real crappy year for free agents - and half those guys will be signed by their respective teams. Those that are left will end up most likely over-paid because they are in such limited numbers this year.

There is no-one there I would consider an upgrade to Lidstrom at his salary, regardless of position.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#165 redwings1914

redwings1914

Wingin' It since '90

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Ok,i repeat,IMO Lidstrom is the best defenseman all-time...but is 40yrs old & next year we must to pose the same question (who replace him?)
the answer is nobody can replace Nick...but the free agent "market" has some good name,some ideas for the future,not just defensemen...

GOALIES
Marty Turco 33 DAL $5,400,000
Jose Theodore 32 WASH $4,500,000
Vesa Toskala 32 CAL $4,000,000
Chris Mason 33 STL $3,000,000
Dan Ellis 29 NASH $2,000,000
Ray Emery 26 PHI $1,500,000
Michael Leighton 28 CAR $600,000

We don't need another goalie. Period.
It is not a sprint, yet a marathon.

#166 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

so much for that discount.......

Huh? Lidstrom took a $1,500,000 haircut and he's only slipped from being the #1 d-man on Earth to one of the top 5 d-men in the league. His performance in the second half of the season was a point per game and he was excellent (although not as amazing as he was in his prime) in the playoffs.

He's still the best shut-down guy in the league as well. I forget where the stats were but he was the best (if I remember correctly) d-man on the PK in the league based on goals scored against while he was on the ice.

I was hoping for 5.5 million but 6 million is fine too.

We should just be happy Lidstrom is back for another year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#167 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Havnt read all the replies but from what I saw lots of complaining about not enough of a discount. Quit your bitching. He could have easily asked for 7. Its easy to say someone should have taken a pay cut when its not your money to lose.

#168 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

While I wish the discount was greater, I'm not sure how this is a bad thing, even at 6.2 mil. The points have already been made but its not like he got a raise or even kept his old salary. No character? Greedy? I don't see it.

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#169 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Ok,i repeat,IMO Lidstrom is the best defenseman all-time

Lidstrom is top 5 no doubt, but not close to Shore, Orr, or Harvey.

#170 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

So how much money will the Wings approximately have to spend this offseason?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#171 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

One of them will have a Norris Trophy and a one of them will most likely have a Stanley Cup ring. The most recent Norris Trophy and most recent Stanley Cup, which are the most important in determining their current value.

If you think that Lidstrom is still worth over 10 million dollars a year, fine. I won't ever be able to change your mind. But from where I'm sitting, the best defenseman this year and probably most years from this point forward, a 25 year old kid, just signed a contract that will take him into and throughout the prime of his career for a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. He did it because he loves the city and his team and because he wants to compete for the championship as often as is possible with the current salary cap. Duncan Keith will undoubtedly sacrifice more salary throughout his career than Lidstrom has. That's called character.

Can't argue with your name there chief, for once the shoe fits.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#172 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

So how much money will the Wings approximately have to spend this offseason?

Not enough to be competitive anymore.

#173 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Chicken Little.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#174 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Gongshow you are a gongshow. Seriously, not competitive? We're gonna be fine next year. Stop being stupid.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#175 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well, on the bright side, that Yzerman guy didn't sign him first. :P
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#176 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

This thread is disappointing. I can't believe people are questioning Lidstrom's character? Insuating that he is greedy? Doesent make sacrifises?

You are so spoiled wow.

:thumbdown:

I'm happy that he is back for another year and with another discount. It's Nicklas Lidstrom.

#177 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Honestly People...Last week everyone was having an anxiety attack that Lids wouldn't return and now all I am hearing is: 1) 6.1 Million is too much cash for Lids and you are disappointed 2) Mr. X that plays for ______ is making 7 million, or 4.5 million or took a discount for his team and 3) We wont be competitive because we cant go out and get some UFA that will likely get more money than he is worth in a crappy RFA year. Who cares what Keith makes...or Campbell for that matter- Is Lids worth a 6.1 million hit to this team..and yes, of course he is.
Heres the thing. Nick could have gotten much more money in the past but has always stayed loyal to Detroit. He did take a pay cut to stay because he could have gotten more than 6.1 on any team. Although I am surprised at the number ( I was thinking 5) it doesnt matter. We keep our leader, the Captian and for all of you who dont think we can be competitive this year...Hello? Lidstrom, Pavel, Z, Franzen...all top tier guys that can win a cup.

I am happy that the deal is done..now we can sign the guys who played hard for us all year and will next year.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#178 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm definitely happy that Lidstrom is coming back for another year. But I really thought he would take a much bigger pay cut. He's still an above average defenseman. But his production last season doesn't seam to warrant a 6.5 mill deal. I was thinking more like 5 mill. Hopefully he will play lights out all year.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#179 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, he should definitely take a lower salary than Rafalski??? Posted Image

You guys really just need to take a step back and maybe re-hash this whole thing. Its Nick effing Lidstrom. He is a top 5 dman. Saying 'above average' is just startling. I have a feeling this is coming from trolls or people who just don't understand the business. He took a huge pay cut his whole career. It just can't sink in anymore than that I suppose. f***'S SAKE!!!

Edited by HankthaTank, 01 June 2010 - 02:34 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#180 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Well aren't you a nice little ray of sunshine today...