• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzermania19

Yzerman asks Wings for permission to speak with capologist Martin

Rate this topic

Not surprisingly, as this has been speculated upon over the last few days -

After vice-president Steve Yzerman took the Lightning's general manager's position last Tuesday, Ken Holland confirmed Tuesday that Yzerman has asked for permission to speak to Ryan Martin.

Martin, who is known to be close to Yzerman, handles the ins and outs of the salary cap for Detroit.

I like this take on the situation from a Mlive poster - this makes total sense -

As to why the Wings would allow him (Martin) to leave, this is the true meaning of loyalty. No one will want to work here if they know the steps at the top of the ladder are taken unless the guys at the top allow them to pursue opportunities for higher spots on other ladders. The Wings currently have limited space for promotion near the top, and none at the top, so they will lose quality personal when opportunity knocks.

Waddell: Red Wings GM Ken Holland says Bolts' Yzerman has asked to speak with capologist Ryan Martin

I've never heard of this capologist.

Is that even an official job title?

From what I have read this guy is a pretty good asset for the Wings to have and he might be the most under appreciated guy working in this organization. There is a small article on Mlive about him, I believe it is 2 or 3 days old.

I've never heard of this capologist.

Is that even an official job title?

Not sure if it's the official title, but most teams have one. For example, Stan Bowman was the Chicago "capologist" before being promoted to GM.

Not sure if it's the official title, but most teams have one. For example, Stan Bowman was the Chicago "capologist" before being promoted to GM.

Bowman was their Assistant GM and had been for a few years prior to his promotion. I do remember reading that as their assistant he was supposed to be very knowledgeable on the cap so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Guest mindfly

They stole Mclellan, Bowman, Yzerman and now this Martin dude...

They all want the cake ;( :thumbdown:

Says Martin's not participating in any Red Wing meetings anymore...looks like he's bolting (hahaha :D ) for Tampa. Can't blame him - looks like he's being offered the assistant GM position. That's quite a promotion. :)

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but Martin has turned down Yzerman and Tampa Bay and is staying in Detroit as 'capologist'. Good news.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/06/red_wings_capologist_ryan_mart.html

Awesome news from the Free Press' Helene St. James: the Red Wings' quiet man in the front office, capologist and fantastic hockey executive Ryan Martin, has declined Steve Yzerman's offer to join the Tampa Bay Lightning:

June 15, Detroit Free Press: “I decided last night, and I talked to Steve last night and told him I decided to stay,” Martin said today. “It was a difficult decision but also a good decision.”

Martin, 40, has been with the Wings since 2005, when he was hired as their director of hockey operations, a title that encompasses making sure the Wings are salary-cap compliant. He is part of the team’s front-office brain trust, along with general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill -- a group that, until last month, included Yzerman, who segued from retirement as a player into team vice presidency in 2006. Having spent four years side-by-side with Yzerman, Martin was Yzerman’s first choice to join him in Tampa Bay. Martin spent several weeks mulling his decision.

“It was an outstanding professional opportunity for me, but at the end of the day, weighing all the professional and personal aspects and the family situation, we felt Detroit a better situation,” he said. “My wife has a career here that she really enjoys. It was just a little bit better fit here.”