• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Boston entertaining offers for #2 pick overall

Rate this topic

The question is, can the #2 pick contribute in his third year, and how much of an impact the Wings brass seem to think he'll have. This proverbial #2 pick would be playing with a higher level of skill in Detroit than Boston so there is that to consider. I completely trust the Wings brass in making scouting decisions. No passengers in the Wings front office.

It's my impression Boston thinks they are close to making a serious serious cup run in the next two years before the window starts to close or why else dangle this pick IF they really are willing to deal with it. Chara isn't getting any younger and with the emergence of Rask they think they're ready.

Here's a nutty idea as I think if you're gonna make a trade go big or don't make it. Dangle Rafalski and the Wings #1 pick. Rafalski is a very good but not elite player. He's done well here. Had a magnificent Olympics. His trade value will never be higher AND it would open some salary to address other issues the Wings may want to or need to address. If Boston wants a prospect too, dangle a forward, not somebody like Kindl. This would give the Wings salary cap flexibility with some solid players available where they could add QUALITY depth. Any defense partner Lidstrom gets will automatically be made better. Maybe losing Rafalski could put you in a position to take a serious look at Volchenkov, I really like his game. You'd also then have a chance to go look for a good checking/sandpaper forward. Losing Rafaski would also almost certainly allow them to sign their RFA's like Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves et al. If done right you might still even have (and I'm ballparking it) 1-1.5M (Which when renting players and pro-rating salaries means you can look at guys making 3-4 million) to use come trade deadline time.

I like Rafalski, I also know the dangers of losing a proven very good player to a draft pick you don't know will amount to anything but this is simply a hypothetical question anyway so why not dream baby dream.

You may now compliment my vision or call me a dumbass, I've been called worse and have big shoulders so fire away.

My dad is a Bruins fan and we were talking about this the other day what if the Bruins trade down #2 for #3 in a trade

To Bruins- #3 pick and Nathan Horton, that would give the Bruins more Offense, and Nate wants traded anyway. Then you take Cam Fowler, Chara is a FA next season let his big contract walk and sign someone else cheaper and then Fowler could step in.

To Panthers- #2 pick, Bruins 2nd round pick and say like Michael Ryder or someone like that

First, sorry to hear your dad is Bruin's fan :hehe:

Second, that may be wise. But I just don't see Fowler playing the same kind of role Chara would. Cap wise, good choice, physical play and defensive knowledge I'd say keep Chara until Fowler matures a little longer.

The Wings will eventually need a new franchise player.

Seguin would be great. I hope another will be available by the time they really need one.

I was thinking the same thing. After Lidstrom we don't have one... Datsyuk and Zetterberg are franchise players, but they both share the spot and don't fill that "superstar" role.

to BOS: Lebda & Williams

to DET: 1st pick + Rask

Wouldn't that be somethin'

I'd start a riot in the streets if Kenny boy pulled that off (not in a million years) But still! :P

The question is, can the #2 pick contribute in his third year, and how much of an impact the Wings brass seem to think he'll have. This proverbial #2 pick would be playing with a higher level of skill in Detroit than Boston so there is that to consider. I completely trust the Wings brass in making scouting decisions. No passengers in the Wings front office.

It's my impression Boston thinks they are close to making a serious serious cup run in the next two years before the window starts to close or why else dangle this pick IF they really are willing to deal with it. Chara isn't getting any younger and with the emergence of Rask they think they're ready.

Here's a nutty idea as I think if you're gonna make a trade go big or don't make it. Dangle Rafalski and the Wings #1 pick. Rafalski is a very good but not elite player. He's done well here. Had a magnificent Olympics. His trade value will never be higher AND it would open some salary to address other issues the Wings may want to or need to address. If Boston wants a prospect too, dangle a forward, not somebody like Kindl. This would give the Wings salary cap flexibility with some solid players available where they could add QUALITY depth. Any defense partner Lidstrom gets will automatically be made better. Maybe losing Rafalski could put you in a position to take a serious look at Volchenkov, I really like his game. You'd also then have a chance to go look for a good checking/sandpaper forward. Losing Rafaski would also almost certainly allow them to sign their RFA's like Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves et al. If done right you might still even have (and I'm ballparking it) 1-1.5M (Which when renting players and pro-rating salaries means you can look at guys making 3-4 million) to use come trade deadline time.

I like Rafalski, I also know the dangers of losing a proven very good player to a draft pick you don't know will amount to anything but this is simply a hypothetical question anyway so why not dream baby dream.

You may now compliment my vision or call me a dumbass, I've been called worse and have big shoulders so fire away.

Nice vision. Dumbass

Second, that may be wise. But I just don't see Fowler playing the same kind of role Chara would. Cap wise, good choice, physical play and defensive knowledge I'd say keep Chara until Fowler matures a little longer.

I was thinking the same thing. After Lidstrom we don't have one... Datsyuk and Zetterberg are franchise players, but they both share the spot and don't fill that "superstar" role.

I'd start a riot in the streets if Kenny boy pulled that off (not in a million years) But still! :P

After a Hart nomination, a fist full of selke trophies (assuming he wins this year) and four seasons between 87 and 97 points it's really hard to say Datsyuk isn't a superstar. The larger issue is that it's all but certain that Datsyuk has 'peaked' since he's going on 32 now.

After a Hart nomination, a fist full of selke trophies (assuming he wins this year) and four seasons between 87 and 97 points it's really hard to say Datsyuk isn't a superstar. The larger issue is that it's all but certain that Datsyuk has 'peaked' since he's going on 32 now.

I guess I worded it wrong. He is one of my favorite players in the NHL and he's a gifted and very talented player. His personality just doesn't play the "superstar" part. Having someone more marketed I guess is what I kind of was getting at. Does that help clarify it a little better? I hope... lol.

we could do a sign and trade with ewe krupp. Ok they can have jason williams as well. And a autographed picture of Hank's girlfriend.

I'm going to hell for this one but.....

Make it a scratch 'n sniff and you've got a deal.

I heard another one this morning coming home from work

To Bruins: Jason Spezza and Sens 1st round pick (18th) and a 2nd or 3rd round pick

To Sens : Bos 2nd overall pick, and someone for a salary dump

So bruins get Spezza,18th pick so they would go 17,18 and either a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Draft Gudbranson(who theyre saying is better now anyways) and you've got your Chara style player. Big, mean and can still play the game.

I'd trade pretty much anyone to get Fowler. The guy's so good offensively and at holding the blue line. I've been able to watch him in Windsor for quite awhile. He wouldn't be a Lids replacement, but he's going to be very good IMO.

As far as Boston goes, I think they would entertain offers, especially because of their salary situation. Maybe attach Ryder and the pick.