• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Bettman

Rate this topic

Oh geez, I didn't even catch that. What an idiot. I guess Canadian cash is Monopoly money. <_<

"real dollars" means inflation and currency fluctuation adjusted.

i actually think Bettman did a good job holding his ground while MacLean tried to tear apart franchise after franchise.

Edited by kook_10

Oh geez, I didn't even catch that. What an idiot. I guess Canadian cash is Monopoly money. <_<

I think you may be missing the point.

Example:

Year 1:

- USD vs. CAD exchange rate = 1.5:1

- USD revenues = $1 billion

- CAD revenues = $1 billion

- Total revenues expressed in USD = $1.67 billion

Year 2:

- USD vs. CAD exchange rate = 1:1

- USD revenues = $1 billion

- CAD revenues = $0.9 billion

- Total revenues expressed in USD = $1.9 billion

Based on those facts, total revenues increased from year 1 to year 2 from $1.67 billion to $1.9 billion. However, revenues in "real dollars" (which is actually both US and Cdn dollars) decreased from $2 billion to $1.9 billion.

When he refers to the Canadian dollar, he's referring to the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the US dollar and when he refers to "real dollars" he's referring to both currencies.

Amazing. I expected Bettman to be a ******, but not like that...not of epic proportions. And seriously? What was the point of the interview if he was just going to make personal attacks on Ron MacLean? He didn't ask anything that was out of order from a JOURNALISTIC standpoint. Good interviews involve hard questions, and Bettman felt like he deserved a pass. WRONG. You're the commissioner, Gary, so YOU answer the questions. You're living in a fantasy land if you think everythings great with the NHL. Sure, things are better than before, but you're still on the bottom rung of all pro sports leagues in the US (after once being more popular than the NBA). I guess he forgot about that.

We'd never see anything like this on Versus or NBC.

I actually liked the Interview. I thought both men stood their ground. You all have to remember that these issues with franchise's cannot be talked about on the air. I understand that people and players want to know what is going on, but there are privacy issues that cannot be brought up for public debates.

Like someone else stated, Bettman is like a puppet in many situations, his main job is to keep the game profitable, and many people may question what he has done with that, but he kept the team in Phoenix like he wanted to and hopefully that will help the game profit. The Cap has gone up every year for the last 5 years and I think that shows how the game is getting stronger. The ratings for the Finals are breaking records every year for the last 3 years now.

With all of that being said, I'm not a huge Bettman fan, but he has helped the league out of many bad situations, I also did not like how he attacked Ron McLean. All he had to say is that he could not comment on certain situations.

Good Interview!

Guest Lidstromboli
(after once being more popular than the NBA).

when was this

Bettman knows how to stick it to someone, Maclean handled that amazingly tho, so professional

I actually liked the Interview. I thought both men stood their ground. You all have to remember that these issues with franchise's cannot be talked about on the air. I understand that people and players want to know what is going on, but there are privacy issues that cannot be brought up for public debates.

Like someone else stated, Bettman is like a puppet in many situations, his main job is to keep the game profitable, and many people may question what he has done with that, but he kept the team in Phoenix like he wanted to and hopefully that will help the game profit. The Cap has gone up every year for the last 5 years and I think that shows how the game is getting stronger. The ratings for the Finals are breaking records every year for the last 3 years now.

With all of that being said, I'm not a huge Bettman fan, but he has helped the league out of many bad situations, I also did not like how he attacked Ron McLean. All he had to say is that he could not comment on certain situations.

Good Interview!

He did say that but tripped out when Maclean was acting like he knew what the players were thinking

Guest Lidstromboli

oh, you actually think a sports illustrated article

regarding a small period of time where the nhl was considered "fashionable"

proves the the nba was less popular?

Guest zackmorris

"real dollars" means inflation and currency fluctuation adjusted.

i actually think Bettman did a good job holding his ground while MacLean tried to tear apart franchise after franchise.

Yeah, on the surface it'd seem as if Gary held his own. But he's one of those people who is a (semi) smooth talker, and can change the subject when he needs to, quickly avoid what he doesn't want to address and make a compelling argument or counter-argument for absolutely anything and make it sound right.

The right mouth can argue for or against anything and make it sound right.

But when you read between the lines, and within context (his attitude, his tenure as commish), he got absolutely thrashed and he deserved every ounce of it. How dare that sack of s*** accuse Ron McLean of using weasel words when Bettman has made a career out of them.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

And tell me that's not what Bettman's been guilty of his entire career. Propagating totally fabricated bulls*** claims that "people have told me they love _____" or "Many have said they enjoy the new _____". Pay close attention-it's usually when an arguably poor idea is being questioned. Gary Bettman is a proud, stubborn fool with "little man syndrome" who does not, under any circumstances, tolerate being questioned.

Which is not only a stupid, but dangerous attitude, even if he is just a puppet.

Ron wasn't tearing down franchises, that was obvious but if it wasn't, what would make you think he'd want to? Suddenly after this long he'd just say "f*** it" and go after a slew of teams for no good reason? He's asking questions, in a fair, but firm journalistic manner. Questions that are long overdue and it's about time someone, face to face, live, confronted that slimy little prick. Teams are in f***in shambles and this game is quietly going to hell, and to Gary, publically, the most successful teams automatically represent the entire state of the league. There's far more to it than that, but he'll conveniently stop at whatever point is helpful to his cause, obviously making the league look better.

If Gary was confident in his responses and the state of his teams, he wouldn't have gone off. It's that simple.

:clap: Good for Ron for socking it to that imbecile. Ever notice Bettman never admits or acknowledges anything negative happening in his league unless he practically has to? To hear him admit they couldn't fix a problem in the Peg or QC was amazing, and it was still a half assed backhanded admittance. He used to remind me of Michael Scott, just minus all of the funny.

Nowadays he just reminds me of the guy who can quit drinking anytime he wants, and doesn't believe it's a problem. Those people always need to admit there's a problem before anything will get resolved and they can truly move forward. Gary, with his perpetual spin jobbing and tinted glasses outlook, will ensure nothing truly moves forward while he's at the helm.

Edited by zackmorris

Yeah, on the surface it'd seem as if Gary held his own. But he's one of those people who is a (semi) smooth talker, and can change the subject when he needs to, quickly avoid what he doesn't want to address and make a compelling argument or counter-argument for absolutely anything and make it sound right.

The right mouth can argue for or against anything and make it sound right.

But when you read between the lines, and within context (his attitude, his tenure as commish), he got absolutely thrashed and he deserved every ounce of it. How dare that sack of s*** accuse Ron McLean of using weasel words when Bettman has made a career out of them.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

And tell me that's not what Bettman's been guilty of his entire career. Propagating totally fabricated bulls*** claims that "people have told me they love _____" or "Many have said they enjoy the new _____". Pay close attention-it's usually when an arguably poor idea is being questioned. Gary Bettman is a proud, stubborn fool with "little man syndrome" who does not, under any circumstances, tolerate being questioned.

Which is not only a stupid, but dangerous attitude, even if he is just a puppet.

Ron wasn't tearing down franchises, that was obvious but if it wasn't, what would make you think he'd want to? Suddenly after this long he'd just say "f*** it" and go after a slew of teams for no good reason? He's asking questions, in a fair, but firm journalistic manner. Questions that are long overdue and it's about time someone, face to face, live, confronted that slimy little prick. Teams are in f***in shambles and this game is quietly going to hell, and to Gary, publically, the most successful teams automatically represent the entire state of the league. There's far more to it than that, but he'll conveniently stop at whatever point is helpful to his cause, obviously making the league look better.

If Gary was confident in his responses and the state of his teams, he wouldn't have gone off. It's that simple.

:clap: Good for Ron for socking it to that imbecile. Ever notice Bettman never admits or acknowledges anything negative happening in his league unless he practically has to? To hear him admit they couldn't fix a problem in the Peg or QC was amazing, and it was still a half assed backhanded admittance. He used to remind me of Michael Scott, just minus all of the funny.

Nowadays he just reminds me of the guy who can quit drinking anytime he wants, and doesn't believe it's a problem. Those people always need to admit there's a problem before anything will get resolved and they can truly move forward. Gary, with his perpetual spin jobbing and tinted glasses outlook, will ensure nothing truly moves forward while he's at the helm.

i guess you got him pegged. aaarrggghh those smooth talkers do it once again! maybe you and mr. belding should be steering this ship with a refreshing new policy of blunt negativity and public fail.

Guest zackmorris

He put Ron in a s***ty situation, no doubt about it. You can tell Ron didn't want to throw any specific individual under the bus, and assumed Gary would go along because it's all obvious and anyone who knows the score, knows it. Gary was just preening for the casuals, that's all.

Gary was the principal, pressuring a kid into ratting out his friends. Getting in his face, accusing the student in the interrogation of being guilty so he'd rat out his friends. He disgusts me.

i guess you got him pegged. aaarrggghh those smooth talkers do it once again! maybe you and mr. belding should be steering this ship with a refreshing new policy of blunt negativity and public fail.

I post all that and all I get back is someone insulting my username.

You're a gem bud, don't ever change.

Edited by zackmorris

Ron was pandering to southern Ontario and turned it into a debate when he took a side. The entire segment was based on a popular sentiment that if all these other franchises are struggling or failing, why can't Hamilton have a team? To get to that point he had to try to nail Gary on the failures of those franchises. It was hardly an unbiased starting point. What other league commissioner would even make himself available to that kind of exchange publicly? Clearly he felt ambushed (because he was). If anything, Bettman should take a lesson from other sports commissioners and not do so many Q&A's. Who honestly expects a head of a league, or any business for that matter, to be publicly negative about their own business? That's just asinine, and more to the point in this case unfair to the fans in the territories in question.

I post all that and all I get back is someone insulting my username.

You're a gem bud, don't ever change.

:thumbup:

I am compiling my responses to Gary's short man syndrome, his imbecility, his principal-like qualities, prickishness, closet alchoholicness, and weasely words. I thought smooth talking was a good place to start while I gave the other topics their appropriate academic rigor. Stand by for full response.

Guest zackmorris

Ron was pandering to southern Ontario and turned it into a debate when he took a side. The entire segment was based on a popular sentiment that if all these other franchises are struggling or failing, why can't Hamilton have a team? To get to that point he had to try to nail Gary on the failures of those franchises. It was hardly an unbiased starting point. What other league commissioner would even make himself available to that kind of exchange publicly? Clearly he felt ambushed (because he was). If anything, Bettman should take a lesson from other sports commissioners and not do so many Q&A's. Who honestly expects a head of a league, or any business for that matter, to be publicly negative about their own business? That's just asinine, and more to the point in this case unfair to the fans in the territories in question.

It's almost admirable that Gary made himself available, though I hardly think Roger Goodell needs to. They handle their problems with a swift and decisive nature the NHL should envy. He doesn't need to dig himself upward out of a hole. I don't follow basketball so I won't comment on Stern.

I don't see Ron as being biased, just someone who wants what is best for the game and I think it's fairly obvious Bettman and the BoG have their priorities a little mixed up. At the very least, they're not doing anything to indicate otherwise and a little questioning never hurt the innocent.

He shouldn't feel ambushed, McLean has asked questions before. Specifically to Bettman. When your league is in the shape the NHL is in, you owe it to fans to do more Q and A sessions. If we're not satisfied, get your ass onto that TV screen and answer perfectly reasonable questions. He's accountable to us, because without us, there is no NHL. And let's say, hypothetically, he was ambushed. It's his job to answer these questions, because if it's not Ron McLean, it'll be someone else who shows a concern for the game. Tough questions come with the territory when you run an entire sporting organization. Ron didn't have some personal motive to attack Gary, he didn't attack him needlessly, he asked the questions he needed to. Ron doesn't piss around. He's polite, and not passive aggressively, but he's just real and won't back down when he feels something is right. He'll get his point across and he did here perfectly. Did Gary really think he'd never have to field questions like this? He's made ballsy decisions that haven't paid off (though listening to him, you'd think certain teams aren't putting 11,000 asses in seats per game).

And he doesn't need to be 100% negative when discussing certain teams or behind the scenes doings, but he doesn't have to lie, either. Which he's done his entire career (usually with nothing to back it up with). Take the boring route, be vague, politely decline to answer, strategically word a sentence to as to gracefully indicate maybe there are problems but they're confident they have a solution. He doesn't. He's the guy who never has a problem and everything is just rosy until the s*** hits the fan and everyone can see it.

Besides, the little schmuck is always standoff-ish and confrontational. He deserves this now and again for the way he acts towards those asking perfectly legit, reasonable questions. You can learn quite a bit about a person just from 10 minutes of discussion, alot more than people think.

Edited by zackmorris

I completely understand him not wanting to talk about certain things on TV, but he doesn't have to be such a ****** about it. He's definitely not a person to get into an argument with if you want to have a real conversation. You'd never get to talk.

Guest zackmorris

Yeah I agree, I'd have less of a problem if he just politely declined to answer. Hell, even if he was vague I wouldn't like it but I'd understand from his point. Instead he's just a ******.

The good news is, if you're a fan of ****** bags, you've found your lord and savior.