Photo
- - - - -

Bettman

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Bettman continues to prove that he's a weasel, plain and simple. I don't care if the owners (supposedly) love him - he's bad for the sport.

Because he does what the owners tell him to? That doesn't make a lot of sense. What you are in essence saying is that the owners are bad for the sport, because Gary doesn't fart without the approval of the BOG.

I agree, the dude is a slimy ******, but he doesn't really have any power, and is basically a puppet.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#22 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

Because he does what the owners tell him to? That doesn't make a lot of sense. What you are in essence saying is that the owners are bad for the sport, because Gary doesn't fart without the approval of the BOG.

I agree, the dude is a slimy ******, but he doesn't really have any power, and is basically a puppet.

Actually, I'm sure a lot of the owners ARE bad for the sport. Nashville, Phoenix, New York (Islanders), as examples.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#23 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

I love how he says "Canadian dollars" and "Real Dollars".

I'm also sure the Phoenix players were thrilled to have a job this year, doesn't mean it was a good reason to have the team payed for by the league.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#24 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Wow...just wow.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#25 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

I love how he says "Canadian dollars" and "Real Dollars".

Oh geez, I didn't even catch that. What an idiot. I guess Canadian cash is Monopoly money. <_<

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#26 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

My God i want to hit that guy right in the face!....Hard!.....Over and over again!

#27 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Oh geez, I didn't even catch that. What an idiot. I guess Canadian cash is Monopoly money. <_<

"real dollars" means inflation and currency fluctuation adjusted.

i actually think Bettman did a good job holding his ground while MacLean tried to tear apart franchise after franchise.

Edited by kook_10, 03 June 2010 - 01:01 PM.

works every time

#28 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

I think you may be missing the point.

Example:

Year 1:

- USD vs. CAD exchange rate = 1.5:1
- USD revenues = $1 billion
- CAD revenues = $1 billion
- Total revenues expressed in USD = $1.67 billion

Year 2:

- USD vs. CAD exchange rate = 1:1
- USD revenues = $1 billion
- CAD revenues = $0.9 billion
- Total revenues expressed in USD = $1.9 billion

Based on those facts, total revenues increased from year 1 to year 2 from $1.67 billion to $1.9 billion. However, revenues in "real dollars" (which is actually both US and Cdn dollars) decreased from $2 billion to $1.9 billion.

When he refers to the Canadian dollar, he's referring to the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the US dollar and when he refers to "real dollars" he's referring to both currencies.

#29 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Amazing. I expected Bettman to be a ******, but not like that...not of epic proportions. And seriously? What was the point of the interview if he was just going to make personal attacks on Ron MacLean? He didn't ask anything that was out of order from a JOURNALISTIC standpoint. Good interviews involve hard questions, and Bettman felt like he deserved a pass. WRONG. You're the commissioner, Gary, so YOU answer the questions. You're living in a fantasy land if you think everythings great with the NHL. Sure, things are better than before, but you're still on the bottom rung of all pro sports leagues in the US (after once being more popular than the NBA). I guess he forgot about that.

We'd never see anything like this on Versus or NBC.

#30 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

I actually liked the Interview. I thought both men stood their ground. You all have to remember that these issues with franchise's cannot be talked about on the air. I understand that people and players want to know what is going on, but there are privacy issues that cannot be brought up for public debates.

Like someone else stated, Bettman is like a puppet in many situations, his main job is to keep the game profitable, and many people may question what he has done with that, but he kept the team in Phoenix like he wanted to and hopefully that will help the game profit. The Cap has gone up every year for the last 5 years and I think that shows how the game is getting stronger. The ratings for the Finals are breaking records every year for the last 3 years now.

With all of that being said, I'm not a huge Bettman fan, but he has helped the league out of many bad situations, I also did not like how he attacked Ron McLean. All he had to say is that he could not comment on certain situations.

Good Interview!

#31 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

(after once being more popular than the NBA).

when was this

Posted Image

#32 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

MacLean = the man
Buttman = asshat, I hate you. so much

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#33 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

when was this

Probably around 1994 when the Rangers won the cup.

#34 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Bettman knows how to stick it to someone, Maclean handled that amazingly tho, so professional

I actually liked the Interview. I thought both men stood their ground. You all have to remember that these issues with franchise's cannot be talked about on the air. I understand that people and players want to know what is going on, but there are privacy issues that cannot be brought up for public debates.

Like someone else stated, Bettman is like a puppet in many situations, his main job is to keep the game profitable, and many people may question what he has done with that, but he kept the team in Phoenix like he wanted to and hopefully that will help the game profit. The Cap has gone up every year for the last 5 years and I think that shows how the game is getting stronger. The ratings for the Finals are breaking records every year for the last 3 years now.

With all of that being said, I'm not a huge Bettman fan, but he has helped the league out of many bad situations, I also did not like how he attacked Ron McLean. All he had to say is that he could not comment on certain situations.

Good Interview!

He did say that but tripped out when Maclean was acting like he knew what the players were thinking

#35 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Probably around 1994 when the Rangers won the cup.

Exactly.

Posted Image

#36 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Also, that was aroudn teh same time Michael Jordan retired.

#37 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

oh, you actually think a sports illustrated article

regarding a small period of time where the nhl was considered "fashionable"

proves the the nba was less popular?

Posted Image

#38 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

"real dollars" means inflation and currency fluctuation adjusted.

i actually think Bettman did a good job holding his ground while MacLean tried to tear apart franchise after franchise.

Yeah, on the surface it'd seem as if Gary held his own. But he's one of those people who is a (semi) smooth talker, and can change the subject when he needs to, quickly avoid what he doesn't want to address and make a compelling argument or counter-argument for absolutely anything and make it sound right.

The right mouth can argue for or against anything and make it sound right.

But when you read between the lines, and within context (his attitude, his tenure as commish), he got absolutely thrashed and he deserved every ounce of it. How dare that sack of s*** accuse Ron McLean of using weasel words when Bettman has made a career out of them.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Weasel_word

And tell me that's not what Bettman's been guilty of his entire career. Propagating totally fabricated bulls*** claims that "people have told me they love _____" or "Many have said they enjoy the new _____". Pay close attention-it's usually when an arguably poor idea is being questioned. Gary Bettman is a proud, stubborn fool with "little man syndrome" who does not, under any circumstances, tolerate being questioned.

Which is not only a stupid, but dangerous attitude, even if he is just a puppet.

Ron wasn't tearing down franchises, that was obvious but if it wasn't, what would make you think he'd want to? Suddenly after this long he'd just say "f*** it" and go after a slew of teams for no good reason? He's asking questions, in a fair, but firm journalistic manner. Questions that are long overdue and it's about time someone, face to face, live, confronted that slimy little prick. Teams are in f***in shambles and this game is quietly going to hell, and to Gary, publically, the most successful teams automatically represent the entire state of the league. There's far more to it than that, but he'll conveniently stop at whatever point is helpful to his cause, obviously making the league look better.

If Gary was confident in his responses and the state of his teams, he wouldn't have gone off. It's that simple.

:clap: Good for Ron for socking it to that imbecile. Ever notice Bettman never admits or acknowledges anything negative happening in his league unless he practically has to? To hear him admit they couldn't fix a problem in the Peg or QC was amazing, and it was still a half assed backhanded admittance. He used to remind me of Michael Scott, just minus all of the funny.

Nowadays he just reminds me of the guy who can quit drinking anytime he wants, and doesn't believe it's a problem. Those people always need to admit there's a problem before anything will get resolved and they can truly move forward. Gary, with his perpetual spin jobbing and tinted glasses outlook, will ensure nothing truly moves forward while he's at the helm.

Edited by zackmorris, 03 June 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Bettman loves to question the validity of a fact or a number that is thrown his way, as if he is the only person in the world that should know it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#40 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, on the surface it'd seem as if Gary held his own. But he's one of those people who is a (semi) smooth talker, and can change the subject when he needs to, quickly avoid what he doesn't want to address and make a compelling argument or counter-argument for absolutely anything and make it sound right.

The right mouth can argue for or against anything and make it sound right.

But when you read between the lines, and within context (his attitude, his tenure as commish), he got absolutely thrashed and he deserved every ounce of it. How dare that sack of s*** accuse Ron McLean of using weasel words when Bettman has made a career out of them.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Weasel_word

And tell me that's not what Bettman's been guilty of his entire career. Propagating totally fabricated bulls*** claims that "people have told me they love _____" or "Many have said they enjoy the new _____". Pay close attention-it's usually when an arguably poor idea is being questioned. Gary Bettman is a proud, stubborn fool with "little man syndrome" who does not, under any circumstances, tolerate being questioned.

Which is not only a stupid, but dangerous attitude, even if he is just a puppet.

Ron wasn't tearing down franchises, that was obvious but if it wasn't, what would make you think he'd want to? Suddenly after this long he'd just say "f*** it" and go after a slew of teams for no good reason? He's asking questions, in a fair, but firm journalistic manner. Questions that are long overdue and it's about time someone, face to face, live, confronted that slimy little prick. Teams are in f***in shambles and this game is quietly going to hell, and to Gary, publically, the most successful teams automatically represent the entire state of the league. There's far more to it than that, but he'll conveniently stop at whatever point is helpful to his cause, obviously making the league look better.

If Gary was confident in his responses and the state of his teams, he wouldn't have gone off. It's that simple.

:clap: Good for Ron for socking it to that imbecile. Ever notice Bettman never admits or acknowledges anything negative happening in his league unless he practically has to? To hear him admit they couldn't fix a problem in the Peg or QC was amazing, and it was still a half assed backhanded admittance. He used to remind me of Michael Scott, just minus all of the funny.

Nowadays he just reminds me of the guy who can quit drinking anytime he wants, and doesn't believe it's a problem. Those people always need to admit there's a problem before anything will get resolved and they can truly move forward. Gary, with his perpetual spin jobbing and tinted glasses outlook, will ensure nothing truly moves forward while he's at the helm.

i guess you got him pegged. aaarrggghh those smooth talkers do it once again! maybe you and mr. belding should be steering this ship with a refreshing new policy of blunt negativity and public fail.

works every time