• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
djdan

draft pick

Rate this topic

draft pick  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Holland said that they are leaning towards drafting a forward, preferably with some scoring touch, with their first round pick.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/ken-holland-is-leaning-toward-drafting-a-forward-in-the-first-round-375241.html

He said that they will pick the best player available (which is what he always says) If McIlrath falls to 21, I bet they would take him.

You really never know with Kabanov. One day his stock is really high the next day it's low then it's in the middle and then bla bla bla the cycle repeats. It's that kind of roller coaster that makes me think Kenny will pass if he gets a chance to draft him. Hopefully I'm wrong though for both sides.

If the Wings have a shot at picking Kabanov and pass I think it would be a massive mistake. I'm a firm believer that first round picks should always prioritize skill over everything else. Always pick the best available player with the highest projection, regardless of need. Besides, Kabanov will have the best possible example to show him how to become a Russian NHL superstar with humility and class.

Edited by Yellowknife Redwing

Kabanov has top 3 talent in this draft. If he is as dedicated to making the NHL and fixing his mistakes as he claims he is the odds are pretty good he could be the best player coming out of this years draft. Not taking the risk on Kabanov would be the mistake.

I don't get why people think this is so likely right now. Holland's done that when his picks were very low. This pick is among the highest picks they've had since 1991. If anything I'd think Holland might trade up before he trades down. If he does trade down I doubt it will be to the 2nd round.

Last year's pick was 8 spots after this one and he only traded 2 spots down.

I agree. I was thinking we might trade up. I like Kabanov and Tinordi. I doubt either is a possibility though.

McIlrath is pretty obvious, as he addresses a pressing need for the Wings. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Wings draft Austin Watson if they don't go after a defenseman.

I'd much rather they took Watson. McIlrath has virtually zero offensive upside and is a mediocre skater. You're paying a high price for size alone. He's strong defensively and will drop the gloves but you can get a guy like that cheaply via free agency and lower round draft picks.

The lack of offensive upside doesn't appeal him to me. In my opinion 1st round picks should be able to contribute offensively. Think of it this way-- McIlrath is too limited in the skills that are hard to develop-- skating and offensive capacity. Who's to say he'll be elite defensively in the NHL? If he isn't he's a bust because you just spent your 21st overall pick on Andres Lilja.

This might get a lot of flack but McIlrath doesn't strike me as a 1st round pick in Detroit. Holland values a strong breakout pass among his defensemen so if you can't provide that your position on the depth chart will suffer. Look at Stuart-- he's the #4 guy and he fills the same role as what people envision McIlrath in. But he was a very highly touted offensive player when drafted and certainly has some offensive skill when needed.

So, has anyone figured out the exact draft order since the finals are now over?

1st round order

Round 1

1. Edmonton Oilers

2. Boston Bruins (from Toronto)

3. Florida Panthers

4. Columbus Blue Jackets

5. New York Islanders

6. Tampa Bay Lightning

7. Carolina Hurricanes

8. Atlanta Thrashers

9. Minnesota Wild

10. New York Rangers