• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

You mean the exact thing I already said? My issue is with people who have the Stevie Yzerman of today confused with the Steve Yzerman of 5 years ago... I really don't see how your sarcasm applies to me. I'm the one saying that Stevie is thinking of Tampa first.

The Wings don't owe Tampa GM Yzerman anything.

If he's going to play hardball and try to poach from the Wings they shouldn't treat him any different than any other hostile executive.

My whole point was that these tactics are hostile business tactics-- there's no possible way to deny it. I hope Holland gives no quarter.

And for the record I'm assuming scouts and capologists have contracts since Holland, Nill and the rest of the upper management is signed to fixed term contracts.

You are acting like it is a deplorable move and how I'm "painting" it as a cool move. Yzerman should do whatever it takes to improve his team. If Holland doesn't like it he can deny him access to certain members of his staff.

There is nothing wrong with any of this. Stop getting up in arms about it especially since Yzerman just opened up shop in Tampa and needs people to work for him.

Posted Image

#42 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

If they want to leave it ain't stealing.

If they are worth more then pay them more.

It wouldn't bother me though if he knocked it off :rolleyes:

Edited by softshoes, 04 June 2010 - 01:24 PM.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#43 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

http://www.mlive.com...zi_next_on.html

Pro scout Pat Verbeek has been hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning. He served as a scout for Detroit the last four seasons.

Ryan Martin, the Red Wings' director of hockey administration -- their "capologist'' -- has spoken to Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman about the Lightning's assistant GM job, but has not been hired yet.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#44 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/signing_todd_bertuzzi_next_on.html

Somebody stop him! He is poaching our team!

Posted Image

#45 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Somebody stop him! He is poaching our team!

teehee...maybe he learned from Ken Holland too well. :cool: If he wants any more Wings, he should look at the unrestricted free agents the Wings probably aren't going to sign, like Maltby. :hehe:
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#46 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

lol Yzerman...

this is going to be one interesting summer...!! :ph34r:

#47 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

It's no more 'raiding' us as it would be raiding anyone else. Would you all be upset if you heard he was talking to someone from Chicago or San Jose or Pittsburgh?

It wouldnt be looked on the same way if he were to be making offers with other teams because he was not a part of their organization. Since he left this organization, people are going to see it as maybe being advantageous by using his incredible reputation with this organization to help win over employees that he worked with previously
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#48 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/signing_todd_bertuzzi_next_on.html

Interesting that Verbeek has jumped but Martin has not. My guess would be that Verbeek would be a top scout, maybe even the head scout. Martin would get a huge job bump, but maybe he doesn't want the added responsibility. Usually, assistant GM's handle the farm team and some scouting.

If they want to leave it ain't stealing.

If they are worth more then pay them more.

It wouldn't bother me though if he knocked it off :rolleyes:

They are under contract, but yes, the Wings have allowed Yzerman to talk with them.

#49 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Interesting that Verbeek has jumped but Martin has not. My guess would be that Verbeek would be a top scout, maybe even the head scout. Martin would get a huge job bump, but maybe he doesn't want the added responsibility. Usually, assistant GM's handle the farm team and some scouting.

They are under contract, but yes, the Wings have allowed Yzerman to talk with them.

I believe I heard/read somewhere (maybe even earlier in this thread) that Yzerman was looking for an assistant GM for the cap numbers and as a contract negotiator.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#50 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

Yzerman spent his entire career with Detroit - where else is he going to shop? He wants to surround himself with the best people possible to ensure his success. These are people he knows and trusts. He's offering them promotions in their field and the chance to help build a team from about square 3. If the Wings are going to give him permission to talk to these people, who am I to be upset about it? I say Bravo.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#51 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

he should take mccrimmon.

I really want to blame McCrimmon for a lot of the defensive struggles but I don't know if it's fair.

By title he is the defensive coach. Okay. But like I've said before, what does that really mean? The only thing that I know he does for sure is run drills with the defensemen and that he has some input on team strategy. Most of that, however, is on Babcock. McCrimmon, from what I understand, just implements Babcock's team strategy and only has a few suggestions here and there.

I mean, didn't Joey Kocur used to run the offense? Remember that? How much input do you think he really had? It's not like we had a lot of people here that said, "Due to Kocur's coaching, Sergei has been red hot this past month and Zetterberg is up for the Calder trophy!"

I just think that the assistant coaches are mainly there to implement the head coach's philosophy and offer suggestions that the head coach probably doesn't even listen to half the time.

#52 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

Why not? Yzerman starts stealing guys from the Red Wings just to put them to Tampa Bay. Why should Holland allow it? Just because Yzerman is a nice guy? Hell no. Let him prove he can find his own staff, not just steal them from organization he just left.

This is 1 of the few times I think I'll ever agree with ya concerning Steve Yzerman.

I really want to blame McCrimmon for a lot of the defensive struggles but I don't know if it's fair.

By title he is the defensive coach. Okay. But like I've said before, what does that really mean? The only thing that I know he does for sure is run drills with the defensemen and that he has some input on team strategy. Most of that, however, is on Babcock. McCrimmon, from what I understand, just implements Babcock's team strategy and only has a few suggestions here and there.

I mean, didn't Joey Kocur used to run the offense? Remember that? How much input do you think he really had? It's not like we had a lot of people here that said, "Due to Kocur's coaching, Sergei has been red hot this past month and Zetterberg is up for the Calder trophy!"

I just think that the assistant coaches are mainly there to implement the head coach's philosophy and offer suggestions that the head coach probably doesn't even listen to half the time.

Couldn't agree more with ya concerning McCrimmon.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#53 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

Does any of us actually know how well this Martin and Verbeek were actually performing in their job duties? Seeing as how they are such an integral part as well as being the face of the organization, I guessing some of you do. :rolleyes:

On the other hand. The Wing's organization has always been talked about as being loyal. Maybe these two....well....maybe they sucked at their jobs but the Wings were too loyal to fire them and Stevie has done Ilitch and Holland a great service by taking them on? "Whew! I'm glad Stevie took Verbeek.....now I don't have to fire his ass!" :lol:

Edited by GoOzzieGo, 06 June 2010 - 06:48 AM.

#54 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Steve Yzerman is going to be an awesome GM with what we all hope will have a fairy tale ending (if you know what I mean;) but now Kenny has to show he has some jam....next year a Tampa-Detroit Final?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#55 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

you know what would have been easier just have made him assistant GM for 2 years and then GM after that

#56 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Stevie!:( at least give us Konopka and we're even.

teehee...maybe he learned from Ken Holland too well. :cool: If he wants any more Wings, he should look at the unrestricted free agents the Wings probably aren't going to sign, like Maltby. :hehe:

Williams,Lebda,Lilja,Meech,Miller...
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien