• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#101 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Im just curious but since babcock and holland seem to be expecting a lot out of Hudler why so many are putting him on the third line. With his offensive potential, I would better assume he is on the 1a or 1b line.

#102 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Im just curious but since babcock and holland seem to be expecting a lot out of Hudler why so many are putting him on the third line. With his offensive potential, I would better assume he is on the 1a or 1b line.

I agree. Everyone likes to shoehorn Cleary into the second line because of his salary. I think he should start on the third line this season. Injury or not, I don't feel like he deserves to be handed a second line spot based on last season. Cleary is much better when he has something to work towards.

Edited by Broken 16, 04 June 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#103 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

The mistake imo was to give Cleary a NTC... why the hell would Kenny give a NTC to an unknown cleary 2005/2006.. he's way too streaky imo for a 2.8M salary/caphit. NTC's are given to proven high end players with many years in the league IMO (and most GM's, but Kenny H is unique)

#104 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Really glad to see... I think the Powerplay lines will look something like:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hudler-Filppula-Franzen

I really like that balance. Depending on whether or not they sign Bertuzzi, I think they'll have 1 or 2 guys (Bert & Cleary) who can jump into the top 6 in case of injuries.

What I don't understand is how Holland figures he can sign some grit. We'd have to lose 1 of Eaves, Miller or Ritola (or Bert too). I would much rather keep Eaves than Miller, and I think maybe Ritola could center the 3rd line. I think people are undervaluing his overall game. The team has put so much time into his development that I see them hanging onto him, at least for awhile. I'd like to see something like...

Hudler/Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Franzen
Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Hudler-Ritola-Cleary
Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves
Draper & (UFA Enforcer/Grit)

The 2nd line looks a bit weak to me, so if they drop Bert and Lilja, etc. maybe they could lure someone like Tanguay for cheap. Either way, still excited about Homer, as the articles that came out seemed to indicate he wanted a raise.

#105 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

^ I really would only like to see one of Bert/Homer back next year. I'd rather spend 3 million (if we have the space) one someone who will make a little more impact than Bert. He was good the entire year, but as for actually putting points up, outside a few bright spots he wasn't very good.

No such person exists. This summer's UFA class is one of the weakest in recent memory.

Also, everyone should note the following about Nolan, Armstrong and Torres:

1) Over the last four seasons, Torres has played in only 157 of 324 games. In other words, he has been injured more than 50% of the time. That's not good.

2) Nolan had a 25-goal season in '08-'09, but that season was an anomaly; aside from that season, he has not scored more than 20 goals since '02-'03. Bear in mind that he scored only 16 goals last year playing 2nd-line minutes. He's older than Bertuzzi; he costs more; he scores less; and he in general brings less to the table.

3) Armstrong made $2.4m last year and has made it clear that he expects a raise ((link); the front office in Atlanta has noted that the salary he is demanding and the salary that Atlanta is willing to pay him are disparate enough that contract talks have been broken off at present. This would seem to indicate that he's looking for more than $3m. There's flat-out no chance that Holland will give him an amount comparable to what Filppula, Hudler, Kronwall and Cleary are making, as Armstrong brings considerably less to the ice than any of those four; and I'm not sure the Wings can even afford what he's asking. In any event, I'd argue that he's overpaid even at $2.4m; many Thrashers fans seem to agree.

I give it little chance that any of the three will end up in Detroit, and for good reason.

Edited by Crymson, 04 June 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#106 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

The mistake imo was to give Cleary a NTC... why the hell would Kenny give a NTC to an unknown cleary 2005/2006.. he's way too streaky imo for a 2.8M salary/caphit. NTC's are given to proven high end players with many years in the league IMO (and most GM's, but Kenny H is unique)

Damn, your team would seriously have like 4 players.

You hate everyone.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#107 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

lines next year

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-?/Ritola
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

PP1

PP2

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

#108 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

lines next year

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-?/Ritola
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

PP1

PP2

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

That would waste quite a bit of cap space.

#109 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

That would waste quite a bit of cap space.

how so ?

#110 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hopefully he spends the next two years training his replacement.

#111 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

20 out of the 110 posts in this thread are on-topic. Mod please.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#112 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

Hopefully he spends the next two years training his replacement.

Ritola maybe?

#113 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

It was posted somewhere here that the Wings are looking to have three scoring lines again next year. Z, D, Flip (I assume after this season), and Franzen are likely to be in the top six when the season starts. Homer and Bert (to a lesser extent) should play with good puck handlers/skaters to be most effective. That leave Hudler and Cleary for the third line. Hudler will also be playing on the second PP, so he will have chances regardless of line. Here's what I would like to see.

Flip- Dats- Homer
Franzen- Z- Bert
Hudler- Abby- Cleary
Eaves- Helm- UFA Fighter (ex. Burish)
Ritola

#114 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Flip- Dats- Homer
Franzen- Z- Bert
Hudler- Abby- Cleary
Eaves- Helm- UFA Fighter (ex. Burish)

Doesn't really seem much point to try and get three scoring lines if you're going to center one with Abdelkader or Helm.

I think the only way to accomplish that is to continue to split up Hank and Pav (audience groans) and give Flip the third line, as was done in the days of old.

Or, they could load up the top two lines and try to get two quality grinding lines. But I'm not sure they have the personnel right now to do either. Seems to me we're looking at a pretty half-assed third line no matter if you try to make it a scoring line or a checking line.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#115 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#116 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

Doesn't really seem much point to try and get three scoring lines if you're going to center one with Abdelkader or Helm.

I think the only way to accomplish that is to continue to split up Hank and Pav (audience groans) and give Flip the third line, as was done in the days of old.

Or, they could load up the top two lines and try to get two quality grinding lines. But I'm not sure they have the personnel right now to do either. Seems to me we're looking at a pretty half-assed third line no matter if you try to make it a scoring line or a checking line.

Even with Flip centering that line, one of Abby, Helm, Eaves has to play on it. I fail to see how having Abby center the line somehow negates any scoring threat they have. He has the speed and puck handling abilities necessary to center an NHL line. Although AHL success doesn't always translate to NHL success, Abby managed ~.7ppg in the AHL over his career. How is he somehow an offensive liability?

#117 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

Even with Flip centering that line, one of Abby, Helm, Eaves has to play on it.

I noticed that, which is why I wasn't very confident in it, but if I had to take one it'd be Eaves. He has a good shot and has scored 20 goals before, but that was a while ago and he hasn't been able to replicate the feat since.

As for Abdelkader, I haven't seen anything from him in his first 80 or whatever combined games to indicate he has a scoring touch at this level. He might develop that and that would be good, but he's looking like more of a chip-n-chase kinda dude. Which is fine, but as a center -- where normally you'd want him to have the puck and try to create offense -- would make for a dysfunctional scoring line.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#118 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Homer is the best in the league and what he does and I never identified him as a non-Wing. Thank you, Kenny.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#119 KDDRWINGS1

KDDRWINGS1

Calmer than you.

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Looking at Drake's lineup, I wouldn't mind letting Miller go if we can sign a foward for the 2nd/third line for around 2.5-3m. I like miller a lot but you can't keep everyone you want.

I wouldn't mind letting Miller or Eaves go if we could keep Bertuzzi and get Prospal at the $1.1 million he signed for last year. Both, especially Bert, would be cheap if they signed multi-year deals since they haven't been able to stick anywhere for a while.

#120 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

Now THIS is taking a hometeam paycut. Lidstrom should take some notes :cool:

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS