• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Which defunct team would you like to see make a comeback?

Rate this topic

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright so I was just looking at some logos and was curious what NHL team that is no longer is missed the most. Vote in the poll and leave a comment as to what team you picked ant why. This doesn't have to be from a realistic stand point or if "the team would survive/make it" today. It could be any reason at all. Also it wouldn't nessciarly mean the relocated team would have to go away, just a re-appearance/additon of your old time favorite.

For my pick, I am going to go with the Hartford Whalers for a few reasons.

1. Growing up I've always liked the team.

2. They had a catchy yet effective logo.

3. I loved the colors they used together.

4. Good state for hockey.

5. I liked a lot of players that have doned that jersey in "the day".

Whalers and North Stars.

Both of their jerseys were the best I've ever seen in sports. I pick the Whalers, though, if I could only choose one.

Honorable mention goes to Golden Seals. Their different jerseys were just totally wacky.

Also, I've spent a lot of time in KC, but if they ever get a hockey team, I hope they don't call them the Scouts or use those horrible uniforms they wore.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Shoreline

Winnipeg. Canada has a pretty big geographic hole of no-teams to fill, so either they come back or bring a team to Saskatchewan.

Edited by Shoreline

A close second for me would be Quebec. That powder blue and white combined with that vibrant red was awesome. The logo is so outdated and "early 90's" but I think thats what draws me to it. Growing up as a kid playing NHL 94' and watching hockey on tv, just brings me back. I might get bashed for saying this but before they turned into the hated Avalanche I loved the Quebec team, lot of greats played on that team!

My honorable mention would be the North Stars, again, just solid all the way around, jerseys/logo, etc.

I'm not sure if "defunct" is quite the right term to describe these teams, since most of them still exist today, just under different names and in different cities. But I'd say the Nordiques. It just seems novel to have a team in Quebec, and that Lindros trade they pulled off is still amazing to think about the effects it had.

20081222_indianapolis-racers.jpg

Not an NHL team, but this is the one I miss the most. Gretzky's first pro team.

Edit: They should put teams back in Winnipeg, Quebec, Kansas City, and put a team in SLC and either Portland or Seattle

Edited by McAwesome

Minnesota North Stars? :S

I'd like to see a team in Portland/Seattle.

Edit; I guess if we're basing this off of jerseys, I'd go with Quebec.

Not just off the jerseys, it can be for whatever reason.

Ex. you are from that city/state/province. Your favorite player played there, love the logo, the colors. Anything and everything! :thumbup:

You get 8 poll options to fill up I used 7, including one for "other" I tried putting the more popular of teams. I thought about throwing them in the last empty spot but I said nahhh :P

Colorado Rockies could be another one of those forgotten franchises.

Of course they used to be the Scouts before they became the Devils. Very strange history there.

Found this on Wikipedia, apparently this would have been the new Quebec logo had they not moved to Denver:

220px-QuebecNordiquesNew.png

BTW, anyone know the meaning of the Nordiques logo? I've read that it is supposed to be an igloo with a hockey stick.

Qubec because it creates a rivalry with the canadians the second its reborn.

That is true. That'd be a pretty sweet rivalry if you ask me. I am no Montreal fan whatsoever, but that'd make for some good hockey!

Colorado Rockies could be another one of those forgotten franchises.

Of course they used to be the Scouts before they became the Devils. Very strange history there.

Yeah I always found that quite odd. The rockies were only around a few years as well. Heres a link to the teams,logos,and years established and what not...

http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?id=1

Scroll down towards the bottom to see the teams that aren't any longer.

Found this on Wikipedia, apparently this would have been the new Quebec logo had they not moved to Denver:

220px-QuebecNordiquesNew.png

BTW, anyone know the meaning of the Nordiques logo? I've read that it is supposed to be an igloo with a hockey stick.

Says igloo, and shapes an "n". Click the wikipedia link below scroll down some and look to the right. You'll see that new Nordiques logo and jerseys if they stayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Nordiques

Edited by Hockey13Playa

Guest Lidstromboli

Hartford

doesn't Carolina still own the Whalers name/rights?

i'm not so sure a team in Hartford now would thrive any more than it did before, but it would be nice to see the logo and jersey again in play.

Edited by Lidstromboli

Hartford

doesn't Carolina still own the Whalers name/rights?

i'm not so sure a team in Hartford now would thrive any more than it did before, but it would be nice to see the logo and jersey again in play.

Its a tough market because it basically right on the line between NY and Boston. The Whalers were never really able to find a market being sandwiched between two original 6 teams. There have been several attempts to get a team back in Hartford, but I don't see it happening. There are other markets that have a lot more potential value.

The Seattle Metropolitans. The NHL needs a team in the pacific northwest. It's the only region in the US completely devoid of hockey.

I mean, sure you could go to Canada where any franchise would be successful, but those people are already following hockey, buying jerseys, tickets, and pumping money into the league. They should go sell the game in a fresh market and help expand the sport.

The Seattle Metropolitans. The NHL needs a team in the pacific northwest. It's the only region in the US completely devoid of hockey.

I mean, sure you could go to Canada where any franchise would be successful, but those people are already following hockey, buying jerseys, tickets, and pumping money into the league. They should go sell the game in a fresh market and help expand the sport.

th_seametropolitans.gif

As long as they update the unis, why not. Probably want to come up with a new nickname too, the world of pro sports does not need another Mets, period.

Edited by McAwesome

th_seametropolitans.gif

As long as they update the unis, why not

Gross. Haha.

Apparently they were the first to bring the Stanley Cup home to the United States. Already they have a rich history. It could be like the second coming of the Senators.