• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
X13WINGS13X

RUSSIAN FIVE

Rate this topic

I have done the research and have concluded that with both the young and expierenced players that the Red Wings have, we can create another Russian Five. Based on what teams need with what the Wings have and player asking salaries, the wings can acquire the following players(to line-up with Pavel Datsyuk) without breaking the salary cap:

Alexander Frolov

Sergei Gonchar

Nikolai Zherdev

Anton Volchenkov

I know it seems like a longshot, but these players are coming from teams who could use players with experience which the wings have and these players all have high salaries that would balance out the cap.

Frolov is UFA and will be looking for more than the Wings can afford. I'd prefer Wojlski for a UFA anyways. Evgeny Artyukhin (UFA) is out there, does he count?

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

I have done the research and have concluded that with both the young and expierenced players that the Red Wings have, we can create another Russian Five. Based on what teams need with what the Wings have and player asking salaries, the wings can acquire the following players(to line-up with Pavel Datsyuk) without breaking the salary cap:

Alexander Frolov

Sergei Gonchar

Nikolai Zherdev

Anton Volchenkov

I know it seems like a longshot, but these players are coming from teams who could use players with experience which the wings have and these players all have high salaries that would balance out the cap.

Frolov is going to the KHL

Gonchar is on the downhill. the leg injury he had is killing him still and i'd rather have volchenkov.

Zherdev is already in or going to the KHL isn't he? and he has zero drive and work ethic. so much skill, so little effort.

Volchenkov is asking for too much for what he provides. defensive dman that blocks lots of shots that decently make the first pass out of the zone....may as well re-sign lilja for $1mil then. Volchenkov is probably going to the Caps anyways. their D is terrible.

Overall I don't think today's Russians can put together a lineup that can beat the Russian Five.

LD - Fetisov versus Gonchar

RD - Konstantinov versus ...????... Volchenkov???

RW - Fedorov versus Malkin

C - Larionov versus Datsyuk

LW - Kozlov versus Ovechkin

Ovechkin and Gonchar probably win the one on one individual battles but as a unit I think the Russian Five was A LOT more cohesive than today's potential all Russian unit. I just think that with Ovechkin, Malkin and Datsyuk that you have way too many guys that want the puck and so we wouldn't see nearly anything that resembles the endless cycles that the Russian Five used to play. Plus, the Russian Five all learned hockey in the same Soviet system, which they credit to the way they play so well together.

datsyuk wins the individual battle too i think. and i agree about how they are probably more cohesive because they all learned from the same soviet system. i think we saw in the olympics how the russian team wasnt really in-sync although they have so much talent but guys just wanted to do it all by themselves.

Sounds nice.

It isn't even in the same ball park as the original Russian Five though. Their sum talent was out of this world.

Yes. There will never be another group force like them out on the ice. I STILL say somebody oughta make a tape - albeit not a long one - of their play throughout the time they were together.

THANK YOU, TITANIUM! This is definitely a start! Know any good editor/producers? :lol:

Meanwhile, this puppy is FAVED.

Plus it seems like the Russians back then all went through the same Soviet school of that particular style of hockey. These days I would guess that the Russian schools have a lot more differences in the way they teach hockey that the kind of fluidity we saw with the Russian Five can't really be re-created.

Plus it seems like the Russians back then all went through the same Soviet school of that particular style of hockey. These days I would guess that the Russian schools have a lot more differences in the way they teach hockey that the kind of fluidity we saw with the Russian Five can't really be re-created.

One thing the Russians don't lack is fluidity. The guy has reached verb status!

But then again this is Dats, who's one in a million! And, as a wings fan since birth, I put him on a pedestal.

One thing the Russians don't lack is fluidity. The guy has reached verb status!

But then again this is Dats, who's one in a million! And, as a wings fan since birth, I put him on a pedestal.

I meant fluidity within a five man unit.

Big 5 is even more urgent now, after the retirements and the rise of the "clones" like Vanand SJ; time to push it further. I agree with Titanium though, most Russians are not suitable for this type of play anymore, and certainly Ovi or Kovalchuk would not be (too much ego and not enough brain). How about:

Zetterberg/Hudler – Datsyuk/Filppula - Bertuzzi/Fransen

Kronwall– (? for Rafalski– mobile offensive d.)

And get Professor on board as assistant coach, he was the guy who made it happen for the Russians, then for the Sharks and finally in Det, the only one who was present in all 5s. Would be silly not to use him if he is available. I think he is still in Detroit area?

Big 5 is even more urgent now, after the retirements and the rise of the "clones" like Vanand SJ; time to push it further. I agree with Titanium though, most Russians are not suitable for this type of play anymore, and certainly Ovi or Kovalchuk would not be (too much ego and not enough brain). How about:

Zetterberg/Hudler – Datsyuk/Filppula - Bertuzzi/Fransen

Kronwall– (? for Rafalski– mobile offensive d.)

And get Professor on board as assistant coach, he was the guy who made it happen for the Russians, then for the Sharks and finally in Det, the only one who was present in all 5s. Would be silly not to use him if he is available. I think he is still in Detroit area?

Oh wow, I never though of that! Larionov would make a great assistant. Is he still locked up in Russia?