Franzen Zetterberg Axelsson
Kronwall Ericsson

this is actually imaginable, i think ! Would be awesome

#22 yzerman88

yzerman88

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

Plus it seems like the Russians back then all went through the same Soviet school of that particular style of hockey. These days I would guess that the Russian schools have a lot more differences in the way they teach hockey that the kind of fluidity we saw with the Russian Five can't really be re-created.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
One thing the Russians don't lack is fluidity. The guy has reached verb status!
But then again this is Dats, who's one in a million! And, as a wings fan since birth, I put him on a pedestal.

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
One thing the Russians don't lack is fluidity. The guy has reached verb status!
But then again this is Dats, who's one in a million! And, as a wings fan since birth, I put him on a pedestal.

I meant fluidity within a five man unit.

#24 AlexCa

AlexCa

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

Big 5 is even more urgent now, after the retirements and the rise of the "clones" like Vanand SJ; time to push it further. I agree with Titanium though, most Russians are not suitable for this type of play anymore, and certainly Ovi or Kovalchuk would not be (too much ego and not enough brain). How about:

Zetterberg/Hudler Datsyuk/Filppula - Bertuzzi/Fransen

Kronwall (? for Rafalski mobile offensive d.)

And get Professor on board as assistant coach, he was the guy who made it happen for the Russians, then for the Sharks and finally in Det, the only one who was present in all 5s. Would be silly not to use him if he is available. I think he is still in Detroit area?

#25 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Big 5 is even more urgent now, after the retirements and the rise of the "clones" like Vanand SJ; time to push it further. I agree with Titanium though, most Russians are not suitable for this type of play anymore, and certainly Ovi or Kovalchuk would not be (too much ego and not enough brain). How about:

Zetterberg/Hudler Datsyuk/Filppula - Bertuzzi/Fransen

Kronwall (? for Rafalski mobile offensive d.)

And get Professor on board as assistant coach, he was the guy who made it happen for the Russians, then for the Sharks and finally in Det, the only one who was present in all 5s. Would be silly not to use him if he is available. I think he is still in Detroit area?

Oh wow, I never though of that! Larionov would make a great assistant. Is he still locked up in Russia?

#26 AlexCa

AlexCa

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

Oh wow, I never though of that! Larionov would make a great assistant. Is he still locked up in Russia?

Larionov was the GM/CEO of SKA St. Petersburgin 2008-2009 and did not like KHL much; lately he declined to be the GM of Russian National Olympic team because he believed he had to have the right to select players and coaches (isn't that what GMs do normally?). He seems to be in North America (like Detroit?), where his kids are. The man was the smartest player (maybe after Gretz) and an architect of puck possession style, why not use him?

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

[quote name='X13WINGS13X' timestamp='1275700693' post='1994528']
I have done the research and have concluded that with both the young and expierenced players that the Red Wings have, we can create another Russian Five. Based on what teams need with what the Wings have and player asking salaries, the wings can acquire the following players(to line-up with Pavel Datsyuk) without breaking the salary cap:

Alexander Frolov

Sergei Gonchar

Nikolai Zherdev

Anton Volchenkov

Nevermind, didn't notice the date. Hate resurrected threads.

Edited by VM1138, 30 May 2011 - 04:11 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.